Pat, I found on pg 562, in the Genealogical Register HISTORY OF FARMINGTON by Francis Gould Butler:
This name does not appear among the early records of this country. It is probably the same as Ryan. The family line in Farmington has not been traced beyond Joseph Riant. (Please keep in mind, this is only stated in HISTORY OF FARMINGTON and maybe published elsewhere.)
Joseph Riant, a native of Dorchester, Mass., removed with his wife and one child to Winthrop in 1785, and three years later to the Sandy River valley. He was the first occupant of front-lots No. 39 and 40, west side, making his home on the latter; now owned by Elisha Bradford. He was a Revolutionary soldier, and a pensioner in the later years of his life. The town records show thirteen children born to him and to his wife Salla Powers: - -
i. Sarah, b. Apr. 2, 1784; md., July 3, 1807, Jesse Crosby of Stark.
ii. Abigail, b. Jan 16, 1786; md., Sept 20, 1804, Dr. Nathaniel K. Whittemore of Temple; d. Oct. 29, 1860.
iii. Anna, b. Jan 6, 1788; md. Thomas Dudley.
iv. Susanna, b. Aug. 27, 1789; md. Rufus Thompson; d. in Avon.
v. Catherine, b. May 25, 1791; md., Mar. 26, 1812, Joseph Boodry. Resided in Rangeley.
vi. Betsey, b. May 15, 1793; d. Oct. 12, 1836; unmarried.
vii. Joseph, b. Mar. 23, 1795; md. and d. in Pennsylvania.
viii. Thomas, b. Sept. 27, 1797; md., Mar. 3, 1820, Elizabeth Webber; d. in Minnesota. 10 children.
ix. Margaret, b. May 8, 1800; md., May 29, 1834, Benjamin Adams, q.v.; d. Feb. 18, 1871.
x. Zibiah, b. Sept 11, 1801; md., Nov. 8, 1817 (pub.), Benjamin Barnes, Jr. Resided in New Portland.
xi. Soffa, b. Aug. 12, 1803; d. unmarried.
xii. Eleanor, b. July 15, 1805; md., Apr. 27, 1829 (pub.), Elias, son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Waugh) Odell; d. in 1871. He was b. Oct. 22, 1800.
xiii. Mary, b. Jan. 30, 1810; md., Jan. 6, 1831, Cyrus, son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Waugh) Odell; d. Sept. 3, 1836. He was b. Jan. 15, 1803. 3 children:
1. Margaret Adams Odell, b. Dec. 25, 1831; md. William Jenks; d. in Chelsea, Mass., Feb 28, 1868. 2 children
2. Solomon Hopkins Odell, b. Sept. 23, 1833; md. Emma E. Beedy; d. Feb. 9, 1882. Was a soldier in the war of the Rebellion. 6 children.
3. Joseph Riant Odell, b. Jan. 10, 1836; md. Amanda Oakes. 3 children.
Mr. Odell (Cyrus) md (#2) Feb 19, 1838, Betsey Wilbur, b. Jan. 31, 1803; d. Dec. 7, 1881. 4 children.
1. Benjamin Cyrus Odell, b. Dec. 23, 1838; md. Betey Jane Morrison. Resides in Industry. 4 children.
2. Mary Frances Odell, b. July 2, 1840; md., June 24, 1859 (pub.), Leonard P. Partridge; d. Feb 10, 1875. He d. in 1866. 2 children.
3. Alonzo Jones Odell, b. Nov. 18, 1842. Served as a soldier in the late war, and is now a prosperous merchant at Farmington. He md., Sept. 4, 1869, Mary Eva, dau. of Sylvanus F. and Laura A. (Dudley) Jewell. 2 children.
4. Phebe Ellen Odell, b. July 6, 1844; md., Sept. 21, 1861, Warren W. Kempton, Jr. 1 child.
Hope this is helpful ~ Marj
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|