SENEY FAMILY HISTORY
(France, England, Queen Anne's Co., MD, VA, Clemont Co. & Green Co., OH, Madison Co., KY, Shelby Co., IN, Macon Co., MO, Craig Co., OK)
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 SENEY was born 1694. He married //.
Child of JOHN SENEY and // is:
Generation No. 2
2. SOLOMON2 SENEY SR. (JOHN1) was born 1710, and died 1761-1762. He married (1) MARY NEVIL 23 Apr 1732 in Queen Annes Co., MD. He married (2) ANN NEVIL 28 May 1747 in Church Hill, Queen Annes Co., MD.
The Seney branch of our family were French Protestants (Huguenots), members of the Reformed Church of France who were forced to flee their native country because of religious war, massacre, and persecution. They arrived in America via way of England, settling in Queens Annes Co., MD during the later part of the seventeenth century.
The original French spelling of the Seney name was Senet - pronounced Senay. Living among English speaking people, the letter y became a substitute for the t, afterwich the sound of a quickly gave place to the letter e in the pronounciation. Thus for the past nearly 300 years the name Seney has been the English-American counterpart of the French name Senet.
Our first ancestor bearing the Seney name of whom we have record was Solomon Seney whose name is recorded in the St. Luke's Parish Church register, Church Hill, Queen Annes Co., MD.
Solomon Seney named the following in his Will dated September 7, 1761. Probated April 5, 1763. Second wife, Ann (Nevil) Seney, children; Nevil Seney, John Seney and Solomon Seney, Jr.
Children of SOLOMON SENEY and MARY NEVIL are:
3. NEVIL3 SENEY (SOLOMON2, JOHN1). He married //.
Child of Nevil Seney and // is:
4. JOHN3 SENEY (SOLOMON2, JOHN1) was born 1733, and died Apr 1795 in Church Hill, Queen Annes Co., MD. He married RUTH BENTON.
"Commission issued in June, 1777 to John Seney Lt. Col. 5th Battalion of Malitia in Queen Annes County, MD" - Revolutionary War.
Children of John Seney and Ruth Benton are:
5. SOLOMON3 SENEY JR. (SOLOMON2, JOHN1) was born 1739 in VA. He married // in WV.
Child of SOLOMON SENEY and // is:
6. ROBERT4 SENEY (JOHN3, SOLOMON2, JOHN1). He married JANE INGRAHAM.
Child of Robert Seney and Jane Ingraham is:
7. SAMUEL4 SENEY (JOHN3, SOLOMON2, JOHN1) was born Abt 1755, and died 1794. He married MARY //.
Children of Samuel Seney and Mary // are:
8. DAVID4 SENEY (SOLOMON3, SOLOMON2, JOHN1) was born 9 Apr 1762 in VA, and died 9 Aug 1817 in Clemont Co., OH. He married AVERILLA SNOW in KY, daughter of HENRY SNOW and ELIZABETH HALE.
Soon after the death of her husband, Averilla (Snow) Seney moved from Ohio to Indiana in 1826 with her nine children. They all settled on Big Blue River near Shelbyville, Shelby Co., IN. Two of her children made Indiana their permanent homes.
In 1835, Averilla (Snow) Seney moved once again westward accompanying her seven remaining children with their families to North Missouri. Traveling by ox team and covered wagon through open thinly settled country, fording the streams and crossing the Mississippi River on the ice during the extreme cold of winter, they finally reached their destination, where they all settled in a group in what later became Macon Co. MO. She was a long way from her old Virginia home when she passed away seven years later.
Children of DAVID SENEY and AVERILLA SNOW are:
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|