Anyone researching the family of Alexander and Jean McNutt/McNitt who came to Pennsylvania from the Laggan in 1722? Family records account for only three children of Alexander and Jean: Margaret, born 1710, married Hugh Wilson, died 1797. Robert, born 1711, married Catherine, Jean, born 1712, married Patrick Hays in 1729. (I have seen mention of a fourth child named James)
I believe the McNutts listed in the 1790 Federal Census from Mifflin County, Pennsylvania were grandsons of Alexander and Jean McNutt/McNitt by their son Robert McNutt (1711-1765) and his wife Catherine.
The following is quoted from "The MacNauchtan Saga" by V.V. McNitt. "Robert (McNutt) had a land grant of 400 acres in Cumberland County Pennsylvania. In 1755 he took out a warrant on land in the Kishacoquillas Valley in what is now Armagh Township in Mifflin County. All of his five sons drew lands in the same general area."
The five sons of Robert and Catherine McNutt (from information in the "The MacNauchtan Saga) were as follows:
1. Alexander born about 1737, first taxed in 1770; married Ann Williamson in 1771. Their children were Robert born 1772, married Jane Taylor in 1792; Samuel married Elizabeth Brown; Mary married Francis Boggs; Catherine; William married Mary Brown.
2. William first taxed in 1770, married Elizabeth Power in 1771. William died in 1812 without issue.
3. John born 1739, first taxed in 1772, married before 1772 to Mary Brown, Children were Alexander Brown married Nancy Sterrett; Catherine never married; John who died in Illinois without issue, Robert married Sarah Glasgow; Jane married Alexander Wilson; and another daughter name unknown, married James Glasgow.
4. Robert born 1746 married Elizabeth Scott about 1772, first taxed in 1775. Their children were James born 1774, William married Esther McCoy; Elizabeth born 1780, Mary married John McCoy; Ann born 1786 married John McNitt; and Susannah born 1793 married John Ross.
5. James is said to have married and had children. Was taxed in 1774. Sold his land in 1777. Lived for a while with his brother John. James was in the Cumberland Militia in 1782 and after that was a Kentucky frontiersman.
I'm still searching for the parents of Barnet McNutt (1783-1854) born somewhere in Pennsylvania. I suspect that Barnet's father was William McNutt, Fallowfield Township, Washington County, Pennsylvania, in the 1790 census. Barnet married Jane Stephenson (1785-1868) of Washington County, Pennsylvania so that puts him in the area. I don't believe the McNutts listed in the 1790 Federal Census in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania (Alexander, John, Robert, William) could be Barnet's parents, however, it is possible that V.V. McNitt did not know of all the children of these McNutt brothers in Mifflin County.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|