Title: A century and a half of Pittsburg and her people / by John Newton Boucher ; illustrated. Vol. 4.
Author: Boucher, John Newton, 1854-1933
“DR. GEORGE JOSEPH McKEE, is a member of one of the best known and esteemed families of Greater Pittburgh. He was born at Cambridge, Massachusetts, February 7, 1880, son of JOHN A. and MARGARET (McCULLOUGH) McKEE. His father was born in the north of Ireland and was of Scotch-Irish blood. After coming to this country he first resided in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. He was a prominent man in his day, being interested in the oil business of Pennsylvania, and conducted an oil refinery in Pittsburg for a number of years and was also extensively engaged in real estate business, both in Pittsburg and Allegheny City. He died in Pittsburg about 1892. He had a brother names JAMES B. McKEE and a sister, SARAH, now MRS. THOMPSON, of Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. JOHN A. McKEE was a devoted number of the Reformed Presbyterian church, in which he served a number of years as an elder. He married for his first wife a MISS ARMSTRONG, by whom was born children, as follows: 1. JOSEPH, deceased. 2. MARY, wife of JOHN T. MORTON, of Allegheny. 3. HUGH W. 4. ELLA, wife of N. W. STEPHENSON, Pittsburg. 5. SADIE, wife of THOMAS H. BOYD, of Allegheny. 6. JOHN C., deceased. 7. THOMAS S., deceased. 8. SAMUEL S., deceased. 9. JAMES R. For his second wife JOHN A. McKEE married MARGARET McCULLOUGH, a native of Scotland, born in 1837, died, aged sixty-three, in 1900. By this union two children were born, as follows: 1. SAMUEL RUTHERFORD, died aged eleven years. 2. GEORGE J., of whom later.
GEORGE J. McKEE spent his boyhood days in Allegheny, and attended the public schools, where he gained his primary education. With his mother he removed to California, where he also attended the public schools for a time, residing there for eight years, when the family returned to the east and residing there for eight years, when the family returned to the east and GEORGE J. entered college at Cambridge, Massachusetts, graduating from Harvard College in 1906. He came back to Allegheny, where he was resident physician in the Presbyterian Hospital one year, after which he opened an office in Allegheny, where he still practices his profession. He is a member of the Allegheny County Medical Society. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to McKinley Lodge, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, of Allegheny. His present residence is at 2637 Perryville avenue, which he built in 1905. He also owns property in the East End, Pittsburg. Politically he affliliates with the Republican party, and in church relations is a member of the Eighth Street United Presbyterian Church.”
Title: History of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution Vol. 4 / By George Thornton Fleming.
Author: Fleming, George Thornton, 1855-1928.
“GEORGE JOSEPH McKEE - A descendant of Scotch-Irish ancestry and of Massachusetts birth, DR. McKEE has for the better part of two decades, with short interruption, been identified with professional work in Pittsburgh. Since 1912 he has been a specialist in the treatment of the ear, nose, and throat, in private and institutional practices, and stands high in medical circles.
GEORGE JOSEPH McKEE was born Feb. 9, 1880, in Cambridge, Mass., a son of JOHN A. and MARGARET (McCULLOUGH) McKEE. He first attended Cambridge schools, and afterwards the public schools of the Second Ward of Pittsburgh. He then entered Pomono College, Cal., and from that institution matriculated in the Harvard Medical School, graduating in 1906 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. After serving for a time as intern in the Presbyterian Hospital, Pittsburgh, DR. McKEE, in 1907, opened an office on the North Side, and for two years engaged successfully in general practice. In 1909 he went to Philadelphia, and there for three years devoted he went to Philadelphia, and there for three years devoted himself to post-graduate work, studying the diseases of the ear, nose and throat, and part of the time acting are assistant to DR. D. B. KYLE. In July, 1912, DR. McKEE returned to Pittsburgh and took up work as a specialist in the treatment of the ailments to the study of which he had given special attention. He is a member of the Junior staff of the Allegheny General Hospital, visiting staff of Columbia Hospital, holding the position of Oto-laryngolist. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the Allegheny County Medical Society, and Pittsburgh Academy of Medicine.
Politically, DR. McKEE is a Republican. He affiliates with McKINLEY Lodge, No. 318, Free and Accepted Masons, and Bellefield Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; a thirty-second degree Mason, member of Gourgas Lodge of Perfection, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite; No. 1, Commandery, Knights Templar; and Syria Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Pittsburgh, Pa. His clubs are the University, Oakmont Country, and Pittsburgh Athletic. He is a member of Christ’s Methodist Episcopal Church, and socially and professionally is popular in his adopted city.
DR. McKEE married, Nov. 28, 1905, CARRIE L. LINNEKIN, daughter of E. J. LINNEKIN, of Pittsburgh, and they are the parents of a daughter, CAROLYN MARGARET, and a son, ROBERT LINNEKIN. MRS. McKEE is a member of various clubs and
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|