Hoping this helps someone.
Notes from Mackey (Various Spellings) and Allied Families
by Beatrice Mackey Doughtie
Authorities on Scottish Clans all agree that "there are few Clans whose true origin is more uncertain than that of the Mackeys." The name is of Celtic origin, meaning "son of Aedh or Aodh." Aedh is Gaelic and Aodh is Irish, meaning "fire/ardour." Aedh probably meant "fiery warrior." Most variations of the name are Mackey and Mackie. (Clans, Septs & Regiments of the Scottish Highlands, p. 83-85)
Records show that the northern MacKays appeared as Makley, Macky, Maky, McKye, McKeye, Mackie, McKie, Mackey, but most common was McKy.
Islay MacKays appear as McCei, McAy, etc.
McKays of Garachty in Bute: Makky, Makkee, Makcawe, Mackaw.
MacKays of Ugdale (Crowners of North Kintyre): McKey, Makkay, Makkaye, most often McCay.
MacKays of Galloway appear as Makke, Makee, Makge, Makgee, Makgie, McGie, McGhie and Mackghie, by close of 16th century appear generally as McKie and McGhie.
In English the name means son of the fiery or impetuous one.
ALEXANDER MCKEY/MACKEY first appears in GA records in 1808 – jurror Randolph (now Jasper) Co. Went from Jasper Co. to Muscogee Co. bef 11-27-1833.
1840 Muscogee Co. Census:
2 males 15 – 20, 1 male 60 – 70
2 females 15 –20
Alexander Mackey died bef 10-12-1840 (date son-in-law, Zephaniah Parker, applied for Administration on estate and guardianship of minor son, Alexander McKey).
Born abt 1770-80, NC. Married Mary __________, b. NC, d. bef 1800 census. Both buried at Parker Cemetery, Muscogee Co., GA (land he originally owned).
1. George Braxton, b. 1-11-1808
2. Sarah, b. 11-29-1809 (m. Zephaniah Parker)
3. Mary Ann, b. 12-29-1811
4. John Floyd, b. 12-19-1813
5. Elizabeth, b. 5-28-1818 (middle name Esne or Evens?)
6. Joel Crawford, b. 3-27-1820
7. Alexander Coff (Cobb?), b. 8-29-1823
(Bible Record in possession of Mr. Ernest Tyler, 601 S. Sanders R., Birmingham, AL 35226.)
(Submitted by Mrs. Marymaud Carter, 221 Admiral Cir., Lawrenceburg, TN 38464.)
(This line carried on into Alabama genealogy, but I just didn’t have the time to handscribe all of that—sorry.)
JOHN MACKEY from PA to NC.
Ancestor of McDowell Co., NC family of the name. B. Ireland, 1726; m. 1751, ANN ALEXANDER; emigrated to America same year accompanied by brothers, WILLIAM and THOMAS MACKEY and other members of the family.
Landed in Philadelphia, soon settled in Chester Co., PA where his two eldest children, MARY and JAMES were born. Shortly after birth of JAMES, moved with family and brothers to SC.
By 1767, moved with wife and children to Rowan Co. NC. There were hardships and many times the family sought shelter in the Stockade of Old Davidson's Fort (now Old Fort, NC).
Records indicate JOHN furnished supplies for use of Continental troops, one item being corn he sold in SC. His sympathies were with the Whigs during the Revolution and on one time he had four Wilkes and Surry co. officers who had been wounded billeted at his home under the care of Dr. Joseph Dobson. His eldest son, JAMES, served throughout the war with the Whigs.
JOHN d. abt. 1787. His wife's date of death is unknown. They are believed to be buried in the Cemetery of Old Ebeneezer Church near Greenlee, NC.
1. MARY, b. 12-10-1756, Chester Co., PA; d. 12-31-1845; m. 3-18-1779, JOSEPH DOBSON, JR., b. 6-4-1756; d. 11-21-1836; Capt. in Rev. War. Both burried in Dobson Cemetery, McDowell Co., NC.
2. JAMES, b. 5-24-1759, Chester Co., PA; d. 6-30-1843, Pike Co. MO.
3. ELIZABETH, m. ________ PRICE.
5. JANE, b. 1772; d. 5-3-1852; m. SAMUEL CARUTHERS and removed to TN.
6. THOMAS JEFFERSON, b. 1776; d. 1858, Pike Co., MO.
8. JOHN, JR., d. 11-9-1840, Pike Co., MO.
10. NANCY (1786-1839), m. SAMUEL CHAMBERS in TN.
THOMAS MCKIE, resided in Tyrone Co., Ireland, 1761. He came to America with his wife and children abt. 1770. He lived in Burke Co., NC.
THOMAS was a Rev. War soldier in NC (Knight’s Georgia Roster of the Revolution, “Thomas McKie, soldier of North Carolina Troops,”, p. 361)
After the war, he drew land in GA and moved to Wilkes Co.:
Thomas Mackie, 1796, Franklin Co., GA
John and Samuel Mackie, 1781, 1792/98, Franklin Co. (John, 3 draws)
Rosannah Mackie, 1798, Franklin Co.
(Ga. Archv.: Headrights – Land Grants)
5 Sep 1821: (Present) Wm. D. Martin, Levy Lowery, Joseph Hampton: “Saml. Mackie came into open court and makes oath that in the years 1788/89, his brother Wm. Mackie as well as himself, lived with their father, THOMAS MACKIE in Wilkes now Madison Co., GA.” (Ga. Archv.: Inferior Court Minutes, Jackson Co., GA)
“The Family Data show THOMAS MACKIE was a member of the Concord Presbyterian Church in Madison Co. from the time of his removal to GA until his death in Danielsville, GA.”
Will of THOMAS MACKIE recorded in Elbert Co., GA (B-19) and was signed 22 Jul 1796, probated 2 Apr 1797, naming his wife, ROSANNAH, and children (listed in accordance with will): JOHN MACKIE, Exor. (Killed 1802); WILLIAM MACKIE; SAMUEL MACKIE, Exor.; MARTHEW FLEAMIN (sic.) and her children, JANET and ROSANNAH; RACHEL STRICKLAND; ROSANAH TEMPLETON; MARY HEMPHILL. “To THOMAS BREXEY (son-in-law), my cloase, to JANET BREXEY (grand daughter), one cow.” Witnesses: Samuel & Elijah Hopkins.
1796, Rev. John Newton organized Hebron Church and ordained SAMUEL MACKIE. Ruling Elders, JOHN MCENTIRE and SAMUEL MACKIE, were natives of North Ireland.
“SAMUEL MACKIE, with his aged father and two brothers, JOHN and WILLIAM, when they first came to Georgia settled near the Madison Springs, but the old gentleman dying soon after, they removed about the year 1790 to Hebron neighborhod. After serving Hebron Church in the Eldership nearly 50 years, SAMUEL MACKIE died in 1845, ‘Full of Days,’ leaving behind a chracter distinguished for pure integrity and devoted piety. JOHN MCENTIRE was a relative of SAMUEL MACKIE and was equally distinguished for piety and zeal. They were distantly related by blood. JOHN MCENTIRE died in 1823. Both left numerous descendants and there are some McEntires and Many Mackies now in the Church.” [Historical Sketches of Hebron Church, by Rev. Groves H. Cartledge, Pastor, Hebron Church (1852-99). Copied from Original Mss. By his son, Rev. Saml. J. Cartledge, Athens, GA.)
“Mr. SAMUEL MACKIE was in the congregation (Hebron Church) and probably was one of the first Elders of the Church. He came to America while a lad with his father’s family. Their first residence in this country was probably in PA. At the period of the Revolution the family was in Burke Co., NC…..Brother, JOHN, was a surveyor and appears to have been a citizen of excellent traits of character, but was killed by the falling of a tree before the writer was born. WILLIAM removed first to Hall Co. (GA) and then to Red River Country about 1820. SAMUEL spent his last days where he first settled near Hebron Church, an industrious man and a zealous Officer of the Church.” (Part of an article which was in the hand of Mr. Claude Little, a descendant of Co. James Little, published by Central Presbytery, 8-20-1859.)
JOHN MACKIE, son of THOMAS, also served in the Revolution from NC. For his service, he drew 350 acres on North Fork of Stair Creek, 5 Mar 1785, Wilkes Co., GA (Plat Bk. B-116).
Children (Bible Records in Pension Claim)
2. Jenet sic (Jane) ( I’m wondering if this could be Jacob??? MDM)
3. William Clark
7. Samuel Leech
9. Andrew Hemphill
SAMUEL MACKIE buried in Banks Co., GA, Hebron Presbyterian Churchyard.
EARLY MACKEYS IN SC
“An old Indian Trail which was opened in 1691 and made into a public road in 1753, ran from Eutaw Springs across the Santee River and went as far as Pine Tree (Camden) and from there on to Cheraw. Among one of the first grants above Camden District was to WILLIAM MCKEE, 2 Jan 1754 at Hanging Rock Creek, Craven Co., St. Mark’s Parish, who had come from the Northward in 1752, with a white servant in his family and applied for a warrant which was surveyed in hanging Rock Creek. This plat included the hundred-foot cliff and the great Hanging Rock overhanging the stream.” (Robert L. Meriweather: The Expansion of South Carolina)
A memorial by John Ellerbee to be registered in the Auditor’s Ofs. & c. of a plantation or tract of land containing 100a. situated in Craven Co. on Hanging Rock Creek, St. Marks Parish, bvounded on all sides at the time of survey on vacant land: originally granted the 2nd day of Jan 1754 to WILLIAM MCKEE who conveyed same to Thomas Wade. Qt. Tr. 3 p. Ster. Or 4 p. Prvc. Money pr. 100a. Tax Return, 6 Jun 1770. (SC Archv. Memorial Bk. 10-163)
JOHN MCKEE, 17 May 1764, son and lawful heir of WILLIAM MCKEE, dec’d. of Macklingsburgh Co. in NC, farmer, deed to Thomas Wade of Parish of St. Marks in the Prov. Of SC all that plantation or tract of land containing 100a lying in the Parish of St. Marks on the Hanging Rock Creek bounded on all sides by vacant land. Wit: Glass Caston, Humphrey Barnett. (Charleston Co.: F3, 1-5)
JOHN MCKEE, 24 Dec 1764, a deed to SAMUEL MCKEE, Co. of Mecklenburg, NC, 249a lying in the Co. and Prov. Of NC being part of a tract granted by his Majesty King George the Second to WILLIAM MCKEE, dec’d., dtd. 26 Mch 1753. (Harris Bk. 5-180, Mecklenburg Co., NC)
JOHN & SAMUEL MCKEYS a deed to Robt. Crawford sg. 20 Dec 1773, 500a land in Parish of St. Marks, Craven Co., in the Washaw Settlement. Wit: Wm. Massey, Chas. Miller, Jr., Wm. Correy. (Charleston Co.: K4-132)
SAMUEL MCCOY, Plat for 200a. of land on Black River by land of Geo. Wright and vacant land surveyed 11 Sep 1766 by James Thomson. (SC Archv.: Land Plats)
SAMUEL MCKAY, Return made in Charleston 28 Oct 1766 by WILLIAM MACKAY for SAMUEL MCKAY for 200a. in Craven Co. adjoining vacant lands and lands of Geo. Wright, same certified for SAMUEL MCKAY by Richard Lambron 11th day of Sept 1766. Surveyed by James Thomson and granted to SAMUEL MCKAY the 25th day of Sept 1766. (SC Archv.: Memorial Bk. 9-138)
SAMUEL MCKEE, Return made in Charleston, 7 Oct 1774 by himself 100a. on north side of Broad River on a small Branch 4 feet wide and 2 inches deep, by vacant land and land of Joseph Gibson. Surveyed by William Winn and Certified 19 Jan 1773. Granted to SAMUEL MCKEE 7 May 1774. (SC Archv: Memorial Bk. 13-9)
SAMUEL MCKAY, Return made in Charleston by Joseph McCoy 10 Feb 1775, for 100a. on northeast side of Black River in Craven Co. by lands of SAMUEL MCKAY and vacant land certified and surveyed 18 Jul 1773 by Elias DuBose and granted to SAMUEL MCKAY 23 Aug 1774. (SC Archv.: Memorial Bk. 13-301) Plat for SAMUEL MCKAY for 100a. northeast side of Black River Craven Co. by vacant land and land of SAMUEL MCKAY surveyed 18 Jan 1773 by Elias DuBose. (SC Archv: Land Plats)
SAMUEL MCKEE, 6 Jan 1773, arriving from Ireland on Ship Free Mason and allowed 300a. for himself and family.
WILLIAM MCKEE, 6 Jan 1773, arriving from Ireland on Ship Free Mason and allowed 250a for himself and family. (SC Archv.: Council Journals)
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|