Margaret McElveen / McIlvain was born 29 Sep 1874. On her birth registration her father was John McElveen of Courtbane, Creggan, County Louth and her mother was Mary McElveen formerly McElveen. It sounds to me as if Margaret’s parents might have been cousins. John signed with an ‘x’ and was listed as a farmer.
I have an autosomal DNA match with some one who traces their line to Margaret McElveen b. 1874 AND a match with someone else who traces her line to Esther McIlveen b. ca 1833 in County Down. Esther was the daughter of William McElveen and Elizabeth Alderdice.
The children that I have seen listed for William & Elizabeth are:
1. Mary McIlveen b. 7 Feb 1810; m. unknown; died unknown
2. Eliza McIlveen b. 23 Mar 1811; d. 1877
3. Jane McElveen b. ca 1815; d. ca 1874
4. David McIlveen b. 2 Aug 1816 County Down; m. Sarah Jamison; d. 1891 Crossan, County Down
5. William McIlveen b. 16 Aug 1819 County Down; m. 22 Jul 1848 to Sarah Jane McClelland; d. 30 Aug 1887 Moonbi, New South Wales, Australia
6. Isabella Alderdice McIlveen b. ca 1823; d. 9 Dec 1904 Stutsman County, North Dakota, USA
7. Alexander McIlveen b. 7 May County Down 1825; d. 21 Apr 1904 Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
8. Esther McIlveen b. 1833 County Down; d. 29 Oct 1904 South Grafton, New South Wales, Australia
So somewhere / somehow Margaret McElveen b. 1874 with both a father and mother with surname McElveen must be related to this family of William & Elizabeth. The only male McElveen of this line that remained in Ireland was David who m. Sarah Jamison. Can anyone tell me anything about David & Sarah . . . . such as who their children were.
In the 1864 Griffith’s Valuation there was David Mcelveen in County Armagh, Barony Upper Fews / Union Castleblayney / Parish Creggan / Townland Cloghoge. There were a number of other McElveens listed on the same page.
Griffith’s Valuation has only these two McIlwain heads-of-household listed but this particular website did not give the date of the census:
• John McIlwain / Courtbane, Creggan, County Louth
• Samuel Ilwain / Courtbane, Creggan, County Louth
Is there anyone who can help me with more information about these McElveen families or who can point me in a direction to find information. Thank you.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|