James McClurg was born before 1765 (his daughter's 1880 census says in England) and died Dec 1812 in the Abbeville District, SC. He married Margaret Morgan, daughter of Samuel Morgan of Nottoway VA. Any clues to his history or Margaret's appreciated!
In 1791 personal property tax list, Nottaway Co. VA: only one male over 16, no
1810 Abbeville p. 44
3 1 0 0 1 2 1 0 0 1
Caldwell vs. McClurg, Oct. 1829, Abbeville SC)
"In 1807, this Respondent [Margaret McClurg] being the mother of five children by her husband James McClurg, to wit Mary, William, Elizabeth, James and Samuel (of whom Mary having survived a husband died intestate & without issue, and Samuel died under age intestate & without wife or children) she & her husband lived in the same house with her father Samuel Morgan in Virginia; and her father at that time delivered to her a deed of gift. . . and shortly afterward she & her husband & children with the said negroes removed from Virginia to Abbeville District aforesaid, where the negroes continued with the family subject to the control of her husband until his death in December 1812. . . "
The children of James McClurg and Margaret Morgan:
1. William McClurg, b. 1 Dec 1800 in VA. By 1850 he was living in Carroll Co. MS. Two sons, Samuel Morgan McClurg and Yancy Crawford McClurg. In 1860, Tilman Buse, son of his sister, Harriet McClurg (see below) and Joseph Buse, was living in William's household in Mississippi.
2. James D. McClurg, b. abt. 1801 in VA. He was in Margaret McClurg's household in Greenville Co. SC in 1830 and continued to appear in Greenville census records through 1860. He married Jane Ashmore and had eight children.
The three youngest daughters [Harriet and Sallie are named in another section of the court case ref. above] of James and Margaret McClurg moved to Walton Co. GA 1829-30, apparently going with Harriet McClurg who married Joseph Buse in SC April 1829.
3. Elizabeth McClurg was born about 1805 in VA and died before 14 Oct 1859 in Walton Co. GA. Elizabeth married Elijah Moon in Walton 12 Aug 1830. The transcribed marriage records for Walton call her McClung or McClaw, but a careful comparison of the clerk's handwriting indicates those transcriptions are wrong--she was a McClurg. Moreover, she named a son Morgan. After Elizabeth's death, her children moved to Grimes Co. TX, though her son Morgan Moon later moved back to Walton Co. GA where he remained the rest of his life.
4. Harriet McClurg b. SC Feb 1809. She married Joseph Buse in Greenville SC April 1829 and they moved to Walton Co. GA by the 1830 census. They lived in Newton Co. GA and in Cobb Co. GA. In 1880, Harriet was liviing with her son Wyatt Buse in Cobb Co. In that census, she says her father was born in England. A confusing 1860 census led to many questions about their children, but finally a letter from their son Z.T. Buse to his sister Sarah Daniel clarified all of them--including Hiram Tilman Buse who lived with his uncle William McClurg in Mississippi in the 1860s.
5. Sarah (Sallie) McClurg, born about 1811 in Abbeville, apparently went to Walton Co. GA with her sisters, Ellizabeth and Harriet. She married Felix G. Needham in Walton, 29 Aug 1831. In 1850 they were living in Randolph Co. AL and in 1860, in Attala, MS. They had 11 children.
For more details on the children of James McClurg and their families, see my gedcom on Rootsweb:
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|