I have been checking wills and census records. The James who died in Bath Co in 1801 (wife Mary McCloughlin married 1746) left five grandsons named James McCallister. One of them is a James who married a Margaret before 1800 and had a daughter Mary Anne who married Elijah Cyrus and lived in Putnam Co. I am trying to figure out who was the father for this James.
James of Bath had sons Thomas, James, Garrett, Edward, Richard, John and two daughters-- Hannah, wife of William Barnett and Mary wife of John Waters.
1. Son James McCallister married Hannah McClain. He was dead by 1803 when the estate of his father was distributed. He had a son James and a daughter Hannah who reportedly married Thomas Wyatt in Kanawah Co. This James is a possibility.
2.Son Richard McCallister born 1756 died 1825 in Putnam Co. He married a Margaret and had children: Margaret, Thomas, Mary, Rachel, Jane, Elizabeth, Edward, John, Andrew, Hannah, James, Richard . This Richard seems a strong possibility.
3. John born about 1754 died in Alleghaney Co in 1824. In his will, he names children: James, Samuel, Jane Weaver, Polly Weaver, Nelly Tolbert, and Mary Anne McCallister.
4. Thomas, born about 1755, died in 1829 in Alleghaney Co VA. His wife was Jane. He had children: William, daughters Mary Ann, Polly Reece, Cynthia, and Elizabeth who married William Smith. He could not be my James' father.
5. Edward born 4 Mar 1758, died 30 May 1830 in White Co IL. He had a son James. Probably not my James.
6. Garrett born 1760s , died 1818 in Mason Co Va. Children: James, William, John, Thomas, Anny, Garrett, Mary, and Susanna who married Brown. Does anyone know anything about these McCallisters?
From census records, I found a James born about 1776 who is alive in 1850 Putnam Co. He is living with an Elizabeth, 50; Nancy, 25; John, 18; Sarah, 16; Jackson, 14; and next to Ann Hensley 21 and Luella, 6 months. I have seen a postings that identifies this Elizabeth as Elizabeth Grass who married Joseph McCallister. Would this James be her widowed father-in-law?
In the 1860 Putnam Co census, there is a James, age 82, living with Elizabeth, 67, and what appears to be the above children but there are only initials: N, 34; R, 32; A, 30; S, 24, J, 27; and E, 29. On the same census, there is a J McCallister, age 74, living with R (a female) aged 80 and R, 18, a male. Who is this, does anyone know? What does the J stand for?
In the 1870 census, Elizabeth is listed as 70, living with Rebecca, 40; Sarah, 38; Albert, 15; Anna Hensley, 38; elizabeth, 21; and Jefferson Nicholas, 13. They are living next to Jackson McCallister, 35, and wife Eliza, 35, and their children. Jackson is living next to a James McCallister, age 80 who is living with an Elizabeth Grass, 29; and Rebecca Grass, 20. They live nextdoor to Christopher McCallister, 38, and wife Evaline, 40.
Is the James McCallister, age 80 in 1770, the one who is 74 in 1860? The way these ages are calculated, it could be.
I am wondering if Richard who married Margaret might have been married earlier to someone else and had son James born about 1776? This James appears to have had a son Joseph who married Elizabeth Nichols. Joseph also has a son James who marries a Margaret. Does this work?
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|