SIR ROBERT McALPINE OF GRFAT BRITAIN
The family of Sir Robert McAlpine is probably the most distinguished of any McAlpine family in Europe. All who travel in Scotland, England, or other places in the United Kingdom see the signs and billboards advertising "Sir Robert McAlpine and Sons, Civil Engineering Contractors." Robert McAlpine of Newarthill, Co. Lanark, was the father of the first Sir Robert McAlpine. The Baronet was created 2 Jul 1918 in the United Kingdom for Robert. Arms: Per chevron vert and or two chevronels one in chief argent and the other is base azure. Crest: A cubit arm grasping a chaplet of pines fructed all proper. Motto: Build sure. Residence: Farindons, Dormansland, Lingfield, Surry. This is one McAlpine family who has their own Coat of Arms and Crest granted to them and are entitled to its use. These families were and are some of the upper society of Great Britain. Issue:
I. Sir Robert McAlpine, 1st Baronet, of Knott Park, Surrey, s/o Robert McAlpine of Newarthill, Co. Lanark, was b. 13 Feb 1847, d. 3 Nov 1934; m. 1st, 1867, Agnes Hepburn, d. 1888; m. 2nd, 1889, Florence Margaret Palmer, d. 1910. His Baronet was created 2 Jul 1918 in the United Kingdom. He was the head of the firm of Sir Robert McAlpine and Sons, Civil Engineering Contractors, of Westminster and Glasgow.
Issue: (11 children: 8 by Agnes, 3 by Florence)
1. Sir Robert McAlpine, 2nd Baronet, s/o Sir Robert 1st, b. 17 Oct 1868, d. 16 Non 1934; m. 1896, Lilias Cooper Bishop.
Issue: (3 children)
1A Lilias Elizabeth McAlpine, b. 1900; m. 1925, Claude A. Ridley, RAF.
1B Sir Alfred Robert McAlpine, Esq., 3rd Baronet, b. 1907.
1C Zelie Agnes Elise Conde McAlpine, b. 1910; m. 1934, Wilfrid Treize Rougier Chapman, Surgeon-Cmdr. R.N.V.R.
2. William Heuburn McAlpine, Esq., s/o Sir Robert 1st, b. 31 Oct 1871, d. 20 Feb 1951; m. 6 Apr 1898, Margaret Donnison Bishop. Issue: (5 children)
2A Thomas George Bishop McAlpine, b. Oct 1901; m. Doris Campbell Woodeson.
2B Robert Edwin McAlpine, b Mar 1907; m. 1930, Mary Ellen Gardner Garnett.
Issue: (4 children)
2B1 Patricia G. McAlpin, b. 1932;
2B2 Wm Hepburn McAlpine, b. 1936;
2B3 Robert A. McAlpine, b. 1942;
2B4 David Malcolm McAlpine, b. 1946.
2C Malcolm Donnison McAlpine, b. 23 Dec 1909; m. 1939, Diana Mary Askew.
Issue: (3 children)
2C1 Ian Malcolm McAlpine, b. 1942;
2C2 Susan Mary McAlpine, b. 1945.
2C3 Bruce Andrew McAlpine, b. 1947.
2D Agnes Hepburn McAlpine, b. 1903; m. 1924, Maj. James Henderson Mann.
2E Margaret Elizabeth Henderson McAlpine, b. 1905.
3. Sir Thomas Malcolm McAlpine, s/o Sir Robert 1st, b. 19 Jun 1877; m. 2 Sep 1903, Maude Dees. Issue: (3 children)
3A Robin McAlpine, Esq. (Originally Robert but changed), b. 18 Mar 1906; m. 14 Jul 1939, Nora Constance Perse.
3B Malcolm Hugh Dees McAlpine, Gentleman, b. 24 Jul 1917, served as Lt. Col. in WW II; m. 1944, Shelia Margaret Price.
Issue: (3 children) 3B1 Adrian Neil Raeburn McAlpine, b. 1944; 3B2 Malcolm Robert McAlpine, b. 1947; 3B3 Hamish McAlpine, b. 1954.
3C Kenneth McAlpine, Gentleman, s/o Sir Thomas Malcolm, b. 21 Sep 1920.
688 THE McALPINES OF CANADA. NOVA SCOTIA. REV BRUNSWICK AND ENGLAND
4. Sir Alfred David McAlpine, Esq., s/o Sir Robert 1st, b. 6 Nov 1881, d. 25 May 1944; m. 19 Apr 1907, Ethel May Williams. Sir Alfred was a member of firm of Sir Robert McAlpine and Sons, civil engineering contractors.
Issue: (3 children)
4A Alfred James McAlpine, b. 15 Jun 1908; m. 1st, 1931, Peggy Barbara Sanders, div. 1940; m. 2nd, Apr 1940, Mary Kinder Read, div. 1951; m. 3rd, Sep 1951, Mrs. Rosemary Hood Levery.
Issue: (4 children; 2 by 1st wife, 1 by 2nd, 1 by 3rd)
4A1 Robert James McAlpine, b. 1932.
4A2 Alfred William McAlpine, b. 1935. 4A3 Valerie Anne McAlpine, b. 1942.
4A4 Sally Dorothy McAlpine, b. 1952.
4B Gladys Gwendolin McAlpine, b. Nov 1910; m. Charles Phipps Brutton, div.
4C Ethel Mary McAlpine, b. Oct 1915; m. 1939, Peter Henry Bell.
5. Grande Ramage McAlpine, Esq., s/o Sir Robert 1st, b. 1883, d. Oct 1928; m. 1922, Beatrice Mary Donald.
Issue: (1 ch)
5A Maureen Agnes McAlpine, b. 1925; m. Frederick Stanley Thornton.
6. Mary Gibb McAlpine, d/o Sir Robert 1st, d. 1935; m. 1897, Andrew Henderson Bishop.
7. Agnes Hepburn McAlpine, d/o Sir Robert 1st, d. Dec 1952; m. 1905, Louis Fradin, Baron de Belabre, div. 1915.
8. Ethel Mary McAlpine, d/o Sir Robt 1st, d. 1939; m. 1906, Walter Porteous Scott.
Issue of Sir Robert McAlpine by 2nd wife Florence Margaret Palmer: (3 ch)
9. Archibald Douglas McAlpine, Esq., M.D., 1923, s/o Sir Robert 1st, b. 19 Aug 1890; m. 1st, 1917, Elizabeth Meg Sidebottom, d. 1941; m. 2nd, Jul 1945, Diana Plummer. Archibald Douglas Served WW I and WW II.
Issue: (3 children; 2 by 1st wife, 1 by 2nd wife)
9A Robert Douglas Christopher McAlpine, Gentleman, b. 1919; m. 4 Dec 1943, Helen Margery Frances Cannan. He served as Lt. Cmdr. in WW II.
Issue: (4 children) (1) Infant dau. b. 1944, died; (2) Sarah Margaret McAlpine, b. Dec 1946; (3) David Douglas Christopher McAlpine, b. Oct 1949; (4) Robert John McAlpine, b. 1 Dec 1953.
9B Florence Mary McAlpine, b. Aug 1922; m. 1952, Peter MacDonnell.
9C Alastair Bertram McAlpine, b. 23 Apr 1946.
10. Emma Margaret Florence McAlpine, d/o Sir Robert 1st, d. Jul 1948; m. Jun 1920, Capt. Hugo Chenevix Trench, div.
11. Roberta Ida Freeman McAlpine, d/o Sir Robert 1st; m. 1st, 1917, Major Richard Lloyd George, now Earl Lloyd George of Dwyforn, div. 1933; m. 2nd, 1933, David Eiffon Puleston Evans, Major R. A. S. C.
Reference: Burke's Peerage. Baronetage and Knightage; Amorial Families, Vol. 2
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|