The Maurer families who lived in the New Berlin area came from Montgomery Co. Andrew, the youngest, died in 1829 after his wife Hannah and with no children, thus leaving his siblings and some of their children as his legal heirs. Orphans Court records name the siblings, where they lived at that time and give other information as follows, listed from oldest to youngest:
1. John, lived Bedford Co.
2. Anna Maria, m. Peter Hillegas, lived Bedford Co.
3. Jacob, dec'd., m. Eve Hornecker, both bur. New Berlin, had 6 sons & 2 daughters
4. George, dec'd., lived in Montgomery Co., had 2 daughters
5. Frederick, m. Catharina, both bur. New Berlin, had 8 sons & 3 daughters
6. Elizabeth, m. Abraham Yoder, lived Montgomery Co.
7. Barbara, m. Anthony Kahl, lived Montgomery Co.
8. Margaret, m. Philip Reed, lived Montgomery Co.
9. Andrew, m. Hannah, both bur. New Berlin
I do not know who the parents were.
Jacob Maurer bought land on the south side of Penns Creek about two miles east of New Berlin in 1796. In 1805 he built a mile (or re-built an existing one) which was still in the family at least 80 years later. The mill is no longer standing but the mill race can still be seen.
Many descendants in the area pronounce the name as if it were spelled Mowery ever though they still use the Maurer spelling.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|