I'm trying to find information as to my Great Grandmother's birth name. Information is unfortunately sketchy as she was given to an Orphanage when she was an infant.
According to my mother when I asked her I was able to find out the following information from what she was able to remember. Below is that information:
* My Great Grandmother's father left either just before or after she was born and his last name is possibly Lindsay.
* She was born in either Newark or Middletown/Trenton, Butler County, Ohio
* My Great Grandmother's Name may be listed as Margaret Susan Matheney Nixon , Margaret Susan Lindsay Nixon, Margaret S. Matheney Lindsay Nixon, or just as Margaret S. Nixon.
* Margaret's Mother's name may possibly be Susan Matheney or Susan Matheney Lindsay
* My Great Grandmother also had an aunt who was called, "Aunt Ott" but it is not know whether or not Ott is a last name or first name I do not know.
The only other information that was ever really given about my Great Grandmother from Aunt Ott is that my Great Grandmother's birth date was incorrect. That She ahd not been born in August as was told to the Nixon family that adopted her from the Orphanage, but that she had been "born whilst the snow flew".
Her mother had lied about her actual birth date because she had to be at least 2 years old or older before the Orphanage would allow her mother to sign her over to the Orphanage. So when her mother and her mother's mother went to drop her off at the Orphanage they made up a birth date in August. Therefore, I'm guessing she would have been born in either December, January, February, or March.
My Great Grandmother also had a brother who's name is Sherman W. Lindsay who was born in Butler County, Ohio. However, even with knowing his name I still have not been able to find any information about her or their parents. And can only guess that her mother's married name was Lindsay. However, my mother as well as one of my cousins believes that her mother's maiden Surname was Mathaney, Matheney/Matheny.
My Great Grandmother may be listed as Margaret Susan Lindsay Nixon, Margaret Susan Matheney Nixon, Margaret Matheney Lindsay, Margaret Susan Nixon or any combination of Lindsay, Matheney, and/or Nixon.
If anyone can help me with this family mystery I would greatly appreciate it. If not I totally understand either way I will continue to look for information into this part of my family history. I'll be posting this message in the Lindsay and Butler County, Ohio forms as well.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|