I have been contacted by a MARLEY researcher regarding the children of Alexander & Jane YORK MARLEY. These people are in my file also but they are NOT a direct line, they sprung off a Randolph CO., NC couple. I have looked over all of the message boards and various websites posted on many sites and have seen the same information repeated over and over. I even contated Mr. Merton MARLEY and questioned him about his posting (See below) on the Ancestry.com board regarding the children of this couple. He responded with the following: (note: it is the same again, no explanation for the dates were given)
ALEXANDER MARLEY (parents WILLIAM MARLEY and CATHERINE CAMPBELL) was born 1780 in Randolph County, NC. He died December 22, 1845 in Winterset, Madison Co., IA.
ALEXANDER married JANE YORK on 1827 in Randolph County, NC. JANE (parents JOHN YORK and CATHERINE UNKNOWN) was born 1784 in North Carolina. She died Abt. 1842 in Morgan Co., IN.
ALEXANDER MARLEY and JANE YORK had the following children:
1) MALINDA MARLEY was born 1827 in North Carolina.
2) HIRAM MARLEY was born 1828 in North Carolina. He died 6-26-1863 in The Civil War.
3) RILEY MARLEY was born 8-12-1830 in Randolph Co, NC. He died 7-27-1897 in Union County, IA.
4) ALEXANDER MARLEY, JR. was born 1831 in Randolph Co., NC. He died 7-20-1894 in Winterset, Madison Co., IA.
5) JOHN H. MARLEY was born 10-3-1832 in Chatham Co., NC. He died 12-2-1882.
6) JACOB MARLEY was born 7-16-1833 in Ashboro, NC. He died 3-30-1923 in Page Center, Iowa.
7) KATHERINE MARLEY was born 1835 in Marley's Mill, NC.
8) MARY MARLEY was born 1835 in Ashboro, NC.
9) NANCY MARLEY was born 3-6-1839 in Marley's Mill, NC. She died 6-26-1875.
Although I respect all of his hard work, it seems there is a large gap between ages here. Can anyone explain to me if Jane York was born in 1774, married in 1827, had her first child in 1825 and at that time was already 41, how she could possibly bear all of the other children and be well over 50 years and still having children? Having one in 1839 would make her 65 years old? It seems highly unlikely and I was wondering what sources anyone may have for the children of this couple? I have looked at various MARLEY census records in Chatham and Randolph Co., NC and can account for some of them but still have issue with the ages and dates given here.
If ANYONE CAN PLEASE HELP in resolving this issue, it makes no sense to me at all and I am sure others have questions about the children listed and who they actually belong to.
Thank you anyone, for any consideration you can lend to me in this matter. I myself, would like to know simply for the fact regarding misinformation being repeated over and over without a good study of the facts.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|