1880 History of Livingston County, p270
Sanford Marble, a native of Massachusetts, and for some years a resident of Connecticut, emigrated from the latter State to Michigan in 1833, and settled on the site of the village of Pinckney. After one year he removed to the farm upon which his son, James M. Marble, now resides, on the plain in the western part of the township. When he first entered the township it contained but nine families, and when he moved to the present farm his only neighbor was a man named Foster, who lived on the present C. M. Wood place. The father of the last-named gentleman, John Wood, settled early in losco township, and subsequently moved into Putnam. The Wood place was also at one time owned by the father of Benjamin Eaman. The latter, who came to the township while Mr. Marble was living in Pinckney, was taken out by Mr. Marble to look at his land, and the two lost their way in the woods, remaining out overnight. They finally succeeded in finding what they were searching for. Benjamin 272. Eaman is now deceased, and his son James lives on the place opposite the Marble farm.
When Mr. Marble came to this farm no one lived nearer to him in a northern direction than eight miles away, on "Provost's Plains," in Marion township. The next farm south of that taken by Mr. Marble was settled by James Grieves, who sent men to build a log house upon it the same year Mr. Marble located. Mr. Marble first bought a farm on the east side of the road, south of the one named, but in a short time sold it to Louis Fasquelle, a Frenchman. Mr. Marble's widow is living with his son on the old place.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|