ROBERT LIGGETT, b. Oct. 25, l830 in Washington co., PA -d. Dec. 27, l902; md. CYNTHIA A. REILEY, b. Dec. 27, l838 -d. May 21, l914. In Civil War, served in Co. "G", 27th Mo. Infantry. Both are buried in Maple Hill Cemetery, Osceola, Iowa. The 1900 census says six children were living of ten born. The 1875 Andreas Atlas says he lived in section 3 of Osceola twp., Clarke co., Iowa and had come to Iowa in 1854. I have found him in only the 1870, 1880 and 1900 census for Iowa, so he must lived in Missouri (and served in the Civil War from there) before returning to Iowa.
CHILDREN (as far as known):
1.C. Silvanus, b. Mar. 1856 in Iowa -d. 1935; md. (1) Dora, d. 5/20/1883 ae 21y 0m 14d; buried in Maple Hill Cemetery, Clarke co. Md. (2) Maggie A., b. May 1866 -d. 1929. Lived in Taylor county, Iowa, and buried in Blockton, Iowa.
2. Addie R., b. in Iowa -d. 4/23/l872 ae "19 years 23 days". (However, she was only 12 years in the 1870 census!)
3. Robert Dempster, b. Apr. 1861 in Missouri; md. (1) Martha E. Stevens, d. 12/29/1888 aged 24y 6m 1d. Md. (2) Grace Ellen Hamilton, b. Dec. 1869. Children: (1) Clarence Cecil, b. ll/16/l885; in 1952, lived at Osceola, Iowa. (2) Ethel Pauline, b. l/19/l895; (3) Charley, b. Mar. 1896; (4) Bernice, b. July 1897; (5) Roy, b. May 1900; (6) Not known. (7) Not known. (8) Vern Delbert, b. 3/7/1905 in Liberty township, Clarke Co., Iowa.
4. Olive May, d. 5/4/1867 ae 0y 8m 17d.
5. Charlie A., d. 6/26/1870 ae 2y 2m 17d.
6. Lillie L., d. 8/31/1872 ae 1y 1m 25d.
7. Harry Cleveland, b. 1873; md. Nila May Lewis, b. 7/31/1868 -d. 8/20/1919. Bur. at Maple Hill Cemetery. He was a railroad conductor; in 1942, he lived at 720 W. 4th St., Loveland, Colorado.
8. Jessie V. (dau.), b. Apr. 1876.
9. Clarence Burleigh, b. Dec. 16, l877 near Osceola, Iowa; md. on 1/28/1926. In 1942, he lived at 3928 8th W. Phill, Des Moines, Iowa.
10. Walter Clyde, b. Jan. 1881- d. 3/26/1949 in Denver, Colorado. Buried at Maple Hill Cemetery, Clarke co., Iowa.
N.B.: To R. Shepardson.--Robert Dempster Liggett, b. 1861, son of Robert and Cynthia A. (Reiley) Liggett, probably carries a family name--"Dempster". In Washington county, PA, one Nancy Dempster married Abraham Liggett of Hopewell township, and one Parmelia Dempster married Thomas Liggett of Independence township. HOWEVER, I have never pursued these Liggett's further, because I was reasonably certain they weren't my line. But the time line appears to have been such that either couple could have been the ancestor (perhaps, the grandparents) of Robert Liggett, d. 12/27/1902 of Clarke co., Iowa.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|