Not my family line, just sharing.
From the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F. A. Battey & CO., Publishers. 1883."
page 352, Princeton Township, White County, Indiana
"C. A. G. RAYHOUSER is a native of Columbiana County, Ohio, and is a son of DANIEL and MAGDALENA (LICHTENBERGER) RAYHOUSER, deceased. His father died in November, 1847, and his mother in May, 1873. C. A. G. was born October 29, 1825. He received the educational advantages of the early common schools, and in the fall of 1842 entered the academy at Ashland, Ohio, and remained one year; then began teaching a country school, and then, for five years, attended the academy during the summer and taught school in the winter. In 1850, he had completed the classical course in Vermillion Institute, in Ashland County, Ohio, and in the fall of that year came to Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and began a clerkship in the dry goods store of R. W. TAYLOR, and the following winter was elected Principal of one of the public schools of that city, and taught until the following summer, when he clerked in the establishment of MR. STAPLEFORD, and was afterward appointed Deputy Sheriff, which position he retained until the winter of 1854-55, when he taught a school in Whitley County, near Columbia City. His marriage occurred in December, 1856, to MISS CAROLINE FERGUSON, of LaFayette, Indiana. Soon after the marriage, MR. RAYHOUSER was employed to finish an uncompleted term in the High School at Ligonier, Indiana, and then removed to Terre Coupee, in St. Joseph County, and began the study of medicine in the office of DR. AARON REDDING, and here remained three years, and in the summer of 1860, went to Rockfield, Carroll County, and began the practice of medicine. In 1863, MR. RAYHOUSER enlisted, at LaFayette, in the Twenty-second Indiana Battery, and upon arrival of his company at Atlanta, he was appointed Assistant Surgeon for the field hospital, and afterward Surgeon of a colored regiment - First United States Heavy Artillery - and in this capacity remained for a time, and then was detailed to take charge of the hospital and military prison at Knoxville, Tennessee, and there remained until the close of the war, in 1865, when he came to Brookston, this county, and again began the practice of his profession, remaining here until October, 1868, when he removed to Wolcott and opened a drug store; retiring from the practice of medicine in 1870, he was appointed Postmaster at Wolcott. In 1881, he sold his stock of goods and began a similar business in Logansport; but, in the fall of that year, he bought back the drug stock at Wolcott. MR. RAYHOUSER is a Knight Templar, having joined the Masons at Camden; he became a member of the Chapter at Kentland, and of the Commandery at Logansport. In religious opinion, MR. RAYHOUSER is a Universalist, and in politics, a thorough and life-long Republican."
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|