THE SALLADE FAMILY...
http://www.rootsweb.com/~paberks/montgomery/s01.htmlSALLADE FAMILY, p. 468
Surnames: SALLADE, EBERHART, BANQUET, KINTNER, GERY, LEVAN, GILBERT, RUSH, GOOD, ERMENTROUT, BRUNNER, COVELY, MCCARTHY, CROLL
The Sallade family is of French Huguenot origin. At the time of the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes, the head of the family fled to Zwei-Brücken, Rheinpfalz, whence five of his sons came to America. These five were: Jacob, who came over in 1749, and located in Tohickon, Bucks Co., Pa.; Peter, who came in 1750; Frederick, in 1751; Nicholas, in 1752 (died in 1770); and Thomas, in 1764. One of the sons went to Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.
Nicholas Sallade, who came to Pennsylvania in 1752, located in Dauphin county, where he died in 1770. He had a son John.
John Sallade, son of Nicholas, became a man of prominence in the State, and served as an officer in the Revolution. He married a daughter of George Eberhart, of Berks county. In 1755 when but eight years old she was carried into captivity by the Indians and taken to Miami county, Ohio, but after many years was rescued by the expedition under Col. Henry Banquet. Among the children of John Sallade were two sons: George, mentioned below; and Col. Simon (1785-1854), who served several terms in the State Legislature.
George Sallade, son of John, was born Feb. 4, 1766, and died April 1, 1852. He moved from his native town of Womelsdorf to Royersford, and then to Hereford. From Hereford he went to Alburtis, but after a short stay there returned to Hereford, and that place was his home from that time on. By occupation he was a blacksmith. His remains were interred in the cemetery at Huff's Church. He married Eve Kintner, who died April 22, 1837, aged sixty-six years. She was born in Womelsdorf. Their children were: William, who lived at Millerstown, Lehigh county; Charles, Abraham, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Sarah and Anna.
Abraham Sallade, son of George, was born at Royersford, in Montgomery county, Aug. 16, 1809, and was but a boy when he accompanied his parents to Berks county. He followed his trade of shoemaker near Harlem, on the property now owned by Jacob M. Gery, and he did an extensive business for the time, employing one or two apprentices. For two years he was proprietor of the hotel at Huff's Church. He died May 30, 1865, and is buried at Huff's Church, as is also his wife. Five generations of the family sleep here.
Abraham Sallade married ****Julia Levan, who was born Jan. 13, 1819, and died April 30, 1884, in the sixty-sixth year of her age. They had eight daughters and three sons: William H.; Sarah Ann; Hannah M.; Eliza; Louisa; Dr. James W., of Auburn, Pa.; Lydia Ann; Telera; Abraham G.; Amanda, who married John W. Gilbert; and Ida, wife of John Rush (who now lives at Pottstown), who died six miles below Norfolk, Virginia.
William H. Sallade, son of Abraham and Julia, was born at Alburtis, Lehigh county, March 25, 1839, and was but a year old when his parents located in Hereford township, Berks county. He was educated in the common schools and in Reading Academy under the instruction of William A. Good. In 1848 he was licensed to teach school by the first county superintendent, William A. Good, and taught his first term that fall. He also taught under county superintendents John S. Ermentrout and David B. Brunner. After teaching eleven consecutive terms, he spent one year, from April, 1859, to 1860, clerking, and then re-entered the school room, teaching one term in Hereford, ten in Harlem, and one at Huff's Church. In 1861 he learned the stone-cutting trade during the summer and out of school hours, and has followed it ever since with the exception of five years when in office. He still has a small establishment, and he has made many tombstones in his time. Prior to entering politics, he employed a number of men and carried on the business very extensively. His son, J. Frank, is now in the business having his yard at Pottsville, opposite the Charles Baber cemetery. In politics Mr. Sallade is a Democrat, and from his youth has been keenly interested in his party. At the age of twenty-two he was inspector of elections, and since then he has helped to hold elections over thirty years in all. He has been school director, auditor and delegate to county conventions; was county auditor from 1874 to 1878; clerk of Quarter Sessions Court, 1891-1894; deputy county treasurer 1894-96; justice of the peace 1875-1891, and 1900-1905, and he is one of the best known men in his township. He has a valuable tract of thirteen and one-half acres, and in 1896 built his present home. He and his family are members of Huff's church, belonging to the Lutheran congregation.
On Jan. 16, 1863, Mr. Sallade married Sarah Ann Gery, daughter of Ephraim N. Gery (who is now aged ninety-one years), and they have had five sons and five daughters, namely: James A., J. Frank, Ida L., Mary A., Jerome W., Anna M., J. Henry (killed on the railroad), Sarah J., Ira E., and L. Stella. Fraternally Mr. Sallade belongs to Huguenot Lodge, No. 377, Kutztown; Pennsburg Lodge, I. O. O. F., and also the Encampment; East Greenville Castle, No. 298, K. G. E.; and Washington Camp, No. 40, P. O. S. of A., Siesholtzville, and in 1862 was district president of the southeastern district of Berks county.
Dr. James W. Sallade, veterinarian of Auburn, Pa., was born in Hereford township, Berks county, Aug. 14, 1850, son of Abraham and Julia. He attended the public schools of his native township, and in East Greenville, Montgomery county, and then entered Kallynean Academy at Boyertown, and later the Keystone State Normal School. He taught school six terms in Hereford and Boyertown, and then worked in the iron ore mines and assisted in the building of the Colebrookdale Railroad. During school vacations he also worked in a grist mill and clerked in a country store. He was always ambitious, and whatever his occupation he has always been looking forward to something better and something higher. In 1875 while teaching school he organized the Hereford Debating Club, which became the parent of the Hereford Literary Society, which has had so much to do with the development of literary tastes in that locality. In his young manhood Dr. Sallade became interested in politics, and in 1872 he was appointed clerk and deputy warden of the Berks county jail, after which he was made steward of the Insane Department of the Berks County Poor House, a position he held six years. He then matriculated as a student at the Ontario Veterinary College, from which he graduated as honor man in 1883. He opened an office in Reading and practised there a short time, after which he was in Topton until 1885. He then moved to Pottsville, Schuylkill county, where he established an extensive practice, being the first graduate veterinarian in the county. He employed several assistants, and trained a number of young men for college, fourteen successful practitioners in various parts of the country owing their early training to him. Dr. Sallade graduated in March, 1883, and in August of that year he took an active part in organizing the Pennsylvania State Veterinary Medical Association, of which he was elected the first president, serving as such in all for four years. In 1888 he became a member of the United States Veterinary Medical Association, and in 1894 issued the call and organized the Schuylkill Valley Veterinary Medical Association. In 1895 he was appointed by the Governor of the State as member of the Pennsylvania State Veterinary Medical Examining Board, a position he still holds. In 1906 he successfully passed the Veterinary Civil Service examination and is now employed by the Federal government in scientific work. For three years of his residence in Schuylkill county he has been in charge of the sheriff's office and the same number of years of the County Almshouse. He is a man of remarkable application, and by his power of systematizing his work, is able to accomplish more than most men. He has a high ideal, and is endeavoring to perform his duty as a man and a citizen, giving of his time and his knowledge to the safe guarding of the public.
In 1872 Dr. Sallade married Mary Ann Covely, daughter of David Covely, and granddaughter of the late Michael Gery, former county commissioner of Berks county. To this union have been born three children: Anna Maria, wife of Dr. F. H. McCarthy, a former student of Dr. Sallade's who succeeded to the latter's practice: Katie May, an accomplished young lady at home; and Ira Jason, who was accidentally killed on the railroad in 1893, at the age of thirteen.
Abraham G. Sallade was born in Hereford township, April 23, 1857, son of Abraham and Julia. He was reared on the farm and obtained his education in the public schools of his native township. He began life for himself by driving ore teams at the Siesholtzville mines, and later was fireman at the same mines, then engineer, and then for a number of years was underground. His next work was as a mine contractor, and then he became superintendent of the Siesholtzville mines, and also superintended numerous other mines in the same locality. In 1892 owing to failing health he quit the mine business, and engaged in the lumber business, a line he followed for fourteen years. In 1906 he went Sought, and located at Birmingham, Ala., where he had charge of a coal mine for the Berks Coal Company, and conducted it successfully until they sold out to another company. When Mr. Sallade returned north he was made foreman for Fehr & O'Rourke, at Reading. In January, 1909, he became deputy county treasurer under Treasurer William M. Croll, and this office he is filling at the present time. In politics he is a Democrat, and has long been active in the party ranks. He is the second of his family to hold the office of deputy county treasurer. All three brothers have held County offices, either elective or appointive.
JACOB SALLADE, p. 332
Surnames: SALLADE, SCHMIDT, MAYER
JACOB SALLADE, son of Andreas and Eva (Schmidt) Sallade, was born at Womelsdorf (Middletown) July 13, 1789, and there educated. He was employed for a time as clerk in a general store of a brother of Governor Shulze, at that place, and also officiated as justice of the peace. In 1824 he received from Governor Shulze (with whom he was upon intimate terms, they having been brought up together in the same town) the appointment of clerk of the Orphans' Court and clerk of the Court of Quarter Sessions, and then he removed to Reading. He held these offices for three years, after which he filled the office of prothonotary for three years, from 1926 to 1829, by appointment also from Governor Shulze. During the next ten years he was engaged in the general merchandise business at Reading, and he also served as a justice of the peace for a time.
In 1839 Gov. Joseph Ritner appointed him surveyor general, and he continued to serve in this position for six years. During that time he resided at Harrisburg, and he died there shortly after his term expired. His remains were brought to Reading and buried in the Charles Evans cemetery. He was a man of fine personal appearance and enjoyed much popularity during his official career.
Mr. Sallade married Susanna Mayer and they had seven children, Maria Catharine, Andrew M. (an attorney at Reading), Charles M., Sarah, Susanna, Rebecca and Jacob M. (an attorney at Reading).
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|