Saint Michael's Lutheran Church
Several Lutheran families came from South Carolina to Cleburne County, Alabama during the 1870s. The move placed them in an area that was predominantly Primitive Baptist. They did not do without their religion however, and, established their own church naming it St. Michael's Evangelical Lutheran Church.
On September 6, 1880 EMANUEL and POLLY (SHEALY) LAMINACK deeded for love and affection to St. Michael's Evangelical Lutheran Church eight acres described in a deed, forever or as long as it continued in the Evangelical Lutheran faith. The deed was witnessed by J. M. LONG and H. N. GABLE. The land was surveyed by W. B. FERGUSON at the request of WIILKES LAMINACK. HUGH GODWIN and JACOB LAMIANCK were chirman, TOLIVER LAMINACK, flagman, and JAMES ALEWINE and WILKES LAMINACK were axmen.
The first house of worship was built near the present location of the cemetery. In the mid 1930's this building as well as the old church records were destroyed by fire. A decade later a new church building was constructed at the present location, which is across the public road from the original location.
D. A. SOX was one of St. Micheal's ministers, preaching the gospel and preforming marriage ceremonies in the early 1890's. HENRY C. GROSSMAN also served as a Lutheran minister.
The cemetery has around 220 graves, including 70 graves marked only by rocks. The oldest marked graves are Laminack, Vaughns, and Alewines. There are Longs, Hulseys, Shealys, and Gables also buried there.
Although Luthern services have not been held in decades, family members hold reunions and an annual singing at St. Michaels.
St Michael Church is located on County Road 14 in Cleburne County, Alabama.
This history can be found on page 77 & 78 of The Heritage of Cleburne County, Alabama.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|