Good morning Julie,
I too am a Fontenot descendant and I have compiled a very large Fontenot family file. My father descends from the LaRose Fontenot family clan and my mother from Simon Fontenot clan; both descend from Belaire Fontenot clan.
1) Martial Fontenot, b. 16 Nov 1897, bt. Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA, d. Mar 1984, Liberty County, Raywood, TX 77582. Martial was called Marshall Fontenot on the Social Security Death Index. Marshall was the s/o Marcel Fontenot and Marie Clara Durousseau.
Rhena Fontenot, b. 09 Feb 1902 probably in St. Landry Parish, d. 01 Dec 1997 in Liberty County, Raywood, TX 77582. Rhena was called Rhen on the SSDI. If you can learn her maiden name I can probably find her parents in Southwest Louisiana Records by Rev. Donald J. Hébert. If you know the funeral home that handled her final arrangements ask for a copy of her death certificate that should include her parents' names.
2) Marcel Fontenot, b. 15 Mar 1869, bt. VP Ch., was the s/o Polycarp Fontenot and Zoe Victorian. Marcel married 21 Aug 1890 in VP Ch., Marie Clara Durousseau, b. 02 Nov 1871, bt. Mount Carmel Catholic Church, Chataignier, LA. Marie Clara was the d/o Jean Baptiste Durousseau and Augustine Simon.
3) Polycarp Fontenot, b. 27 Apr 1830, bt. St. Landry Catholic Church, Opelousas, LA, was the s/o Olin Fontenot and Sophie Bordelon. Polycarp married 10 Jul 1878 Chat. Ch., Zoe Victorian, b. 04 Jul 1833, bt. Opel. Ch., d. 22 May 1896, bur. VP Ch. Zoe was the d/o Louis Victorian and Marie Cecile Josephe Mouton.
4) Olin Fontenot, bt. 10 Nov 1805 at age 7 mo Opel. Ch., was the s/o Philippe Fontenot and Marie Francoise Berza. I have a note that Olin died Aft. 1880 and is buried in Beaver Creek, LA cemetery, but this has not been confirmed. Olin married 15 Aug 1826 in Opel. Ch., Sophie Bordelon, bt. 09 Feb 1808 at age 5 mo, Opel. Ch. Sophie died sometime before her Succ. #1372 was filed on 03 Jul 1848 in Opelousas Court House, St. Landry Parish, LA. Sophie was the d/o Hilaire Bordelon and Sophie Soileau.
5) Philippe Fontenot, b. Abt. 1759, Poste des Alibamons, d. 03 Feb 1842, bur. age 83 years, Opel. Ch. He was the s/o Jean Louis Fontenot dit Debonnaire and Marie Marguerite (aka Francoise) Doucet. Philippe married 22 Dec 1788, St. Francois of Pointe Coupee Catholic Church, New Roads, LA Marie Francoise Berza, b. 05 May 1764, PC Ch., d. Bef. Apr 1837; her Succession #80 filed Apr 1837 Opelousas Court House. Marie Francoise was the d/o Joseph Bersa dit LaFleur and Antoinette Lemoine.
6) Jean Louis Fontenot dit Debonnaire was born 27 Feb 1729/1730, Fort Conde, Mobile, AL, d. 08 Oct 1813, Opel. Ch. he was the s/o Jean Louis Fontenot dit Colin and Louise Angelique Henry. Jean Louis m. Marie Marguerite (aka Francoise) Doucet, b. Abt. 1734 in Port Royal Novascotia, Canada, d/o Pierre Doucet and Marie Francoise Pago.
7) Jean Louis Fontenot dit Colin, b. 18 Dec 1686 in Parish St. Jean de Montierneuf of Poitiers, France, d. 29 Oct 1755, Fort Toulouse, AL. He was the s/o Joachim Fontenot and Marie Pradeau. Jean Louis married 08 Feb 1725/26 in Notre Dame de Fort Conde, Mobile, AL, Louise Angelique Henry, b. 24 Jan 1699, Parish of Blavet, Britanny, France, d. Abt. 1767, Fort Toulouse, AL. Louise was the d/o Mathurin Henry and Louise de Perigo.
In 1763, with the signing of the Treaty of Paris, France ceded to Great Britain its possessions in the east. Included in the treaty were Mobile, Fort Toulouse and Fort Tombdkbe. The French residents of these areas were forced to choose between submission to English rule or the abandonment of their homes and relocation in French territory west of the Mississippi River. Many of the settlers chose to relocate in Louisiana rather than submit to English rule. A large number of those migrated to the Opelousas (St. Landry Parish) and Attakapas (St.Martin Parish) Louisiana areas. Among those who chose to settle in the Opelousas Post area were members of the Brignac, LaFleur, Doucet, Guillory, Lagrange, and Sylvester families (and there were others as well). Source: The Fontenot Family 1600-1903, p. 4
The book, The Fontenot Family 1600-1503: The Descendants of Jean Louis Fontenot dit Colin and Louise Angelique Henry, was published 1999 by Evangeline Genealogical and Historical Society, P. O. Box 664, Ville Platte, LA. The book is out-of-print but additions and corrections are being published in La Voix des Prairies, the quarterly newsletter of EG&HS. Subscriptions are still just $10 per year and well worth the price. Informaton in the book comes primarily from Southwest Louisiana Records by Rev. Donald J. Hébert, research in France by Robert Bruce Ardoin, Evangeline Parish native who makes his home in Paris, and donated family files.
NOTE FROM ROSE: When I received my copy of the book, I was pleased to see we had followed the same families. The Fontenot family is now the largest in my database of 72,000+ individuals.
I am a French-speaking native of Ville Platte and have lived in Birmingham since 1954.
If you or anyone you know would like to buy a copy of my research, please write email@example.com for details. My fees are modest and my resources are the best.
I hope you and yours have a Happy, Holy, and Prosperous New Year.
Rosie Morein Wells
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|