The town of Yrenton, Ouachita parish, LA was in fact Trenton, Ouachita Parish, LA. The fancy scrolled T was misinterpreted as a Y since there was no current town by the name of Trenton in Ouachita Parish. As it turns out, the area now covered by the town of West Monroe at one time contained the towns of Trenton, Byron and Cotton Port. Cotton Port seemed to be the most successful but when the railroad bridge was erected across the Ouachita River, the name was changed to West Monroe. Eventually the other two towns were taken in by West Monroe, with the town of Trenton closing its post office in 1905 and eventually becoming a suburb of West Monroe.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|