I'm searching for information about Leona Young Valentine, who was the second wife of my 2G-grandfather, William John Valentine. What I know about Leona so far:
1. Leona married William John Valentine sometime after the death of my 2G-grandmother, Isabelle Bannister Valentine. I haven't found the marriage record yet, but the 1920 census record shows Leona and William married and living in Shreveport, Caddo Parish, LA. In that census record, William is listed as being age 63 and Leona 49.
2. Leona and William are listed in a 1924-1925 city directory for Shreveport LA. Her occupation is indicated as being a florist. This is the last record I've been able to find so far about Leona and William. I believe that William died before 1930; I don't know when Leona died. I believe that they were both buried in the Shreveport area, but I haven't found any confirming evidence of this.
3. A Valentine family researcher believes that Leona was first married to William's younger brother, Elisha Valentine. I haven't found a marriage record for Elisha and I have very little information about Elisha's life. Elisha was born about 1866 in the Catahoula/Rapides Parishes LA area; if the 1920 census record referenced in #1 above which shows Leona as being age 49 is accurate, Leona was born about 1871. Therefore, a first marriage for both of them would likely have occurred in the late 1880's or early 1890's.
4. The same Valentine researcher also believes that Leona was married multiple times before her marriage to William. It isn't clear if Leona's maiden name is Young, or if this was her married name going into her marriage with William.
5. I've found a number of Young families identified in an 1878 Voters Registration list for Catahoula Parish LA (name/state of birth/year of birth):
a. Abraham Young (LA 1809)
b. Henry Young (LA 1853)
c. Henry Thomas Young (LA no year stated)
d. James H. Young (LA 1853)
e. John Stone Young (LA 1837)
f. Richard A. Young (LA 1848)
g. Robert Semple Young (MS 1833)
h. William Young (LA 1835)
I don't have access to the 1880 census for Catahoula Parish, so I don't know if Leona appears as a child in any of these families. I have no evidence that Leona was raised in the Catahoula Parish area where Elisha and William Valentine's parents, Reuben Valentine and Mary Jane Olds, lived and raised their children primarily throughout their adult lives.
Any information or leads about Leona and her family would be appreciated.
Regards, John Reid
P.O. Box 7164
Libertyville IL 60048
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|