Searching for the decendants of Isham and Christina Brown who came to Greenup county about 1850. They were in Boyd co. Ky by 1860. I dont believe they ever moved, the county lines just changed.
They had at least 9 children, 8 boys and 1 girl. Confirmed children: John, Isham Jr., Henry, James, and Levisa Wilcox Brown. Other most likely sons could have been: Peter, Hiram, and Wesley, and one other male.
Some of the allied families were the Scotts, Alleys, Robinette, Plymale, Wilcox and many more. Many of Isham and Christina Hounshells decendants are still in the Greenup and Boyd co.,KY. area.
Would love to hear any connections!. I am looking for more information on Isham Brown as to who his parents, brothers or any sisters may have been. Any leads would be appreciated.
Below is what information that I have on Isham and Christina's confirmed children for all who may be interested. My email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Christina Hounshell Brown(Isham's wife) was born Feb.28, 1796,Rural Retreat,Wythe county,Va. to Andrew Hounshell and Louisa Lambert. Andrew Hounshell was the son of John and Christina Messersmith Hounshell who settled in what is now Wythe county Virginia prior to 1770. Louisa Lambert (Christina's mother), was the daughter of Henry and Maria Magdalena Daude Lambert. Louisa married Andrew Hounshell, Sept.17,1786 in Montgomery co.VA. Andrew Hounshell died about 1832.
Christina Hounshell married Isham Brown, possibly ca. 1815 in the Wythe/Montgomery co.Va. area. Could never find there marriage lic. Isham is believed to have been born ca.1792 in Montgomery co.,Va., but im thinking mabe North Carolina.
Isham(Isom)and Christina Hounshell Brown lived in the Wythe county,VA and Smyth county VA. until the late 1840's, they sold there land and Christina was first found on 1860 Boyd co.,KY census. John Brown, there first born son was found in Greenup co.KY on 1850 census.
Isham must have passed away by 1860. The 1850 census information was never found for Isham and Christina, and that is partly how it has been so difficult to find the names of there children.
The 1840 , Smyth co.Va. census shows them to have 8 boys, and 1 girl.
More information on Isham and Christina Hounshell Brown's confirmed 4 boys (John,Isham Jr.,Henry,and James W.), and 1 girl (Lavisa Brown Wilcox) are:
1) John Brown, (mine), he married Matilda Jane Carter in Smyth co.VA., 1841. They lived in Greenup co.KY starting 1850, then Boyd co.1860, then to Caldwell co.,KY. by 1870. Matilda is burried in Kingston cemetary, Caldwell co. John moved back to Boyd co. by 1880, and he remarried to an Amanda Rucker, Sept.13,1883, Boyd co.KY. JOhn passed,Aug.5, 1894,Boyd co.KY.
John & Matilda Jane Carter Brown's children were:
1) Andrew Jackson Brown,b.1843 ,married Martha E.Maddox, Ray co.Mo. Children: Wesley John, Matilda F.,Calvin, and Octava. Andrew may have been previously married.
2) Lorinda Brown Shelly,b.May 1844,VA.married George Shelly Feb.16,1873,Caldwell co.MO. Lorinda died May 21,1900 in MO. Had 1 child, Fannie M. Brown Rigdon. Lorinda aslo raised her nephew George King, as her sister Francis Columbia Brown King passed away.
3) Thomas Jefferson Brown,b. Nov.13,1848,VA. d. May 15,1898,in Stillwater OK. Married Sarah Frances McCullough,Oct. 18, 1876 MO. Children: Mary Louette,Viola,Thomas Franklin,Fredrich Andy, Jefferson Mount,Alma Victoria, Matilda, and Ira Lee Brown.
4) Frances Columbia Brown King, passed away sometime after her son,George King was born.
5) Joseph Calvin Brown (My line), born 1857,KY.,died ? Married Amanda M. Sisk ca.1879 in MO. Lived in the Cass co.,MO. in 1880. Amanda passed away from Malaria at 26 years old, and left Joseph Calvin to raise 4 children. His only son, Jesse, passed away,Malaria, 2 mo. after wife Amanda. Chidren: Matilda Jane Brown (mine), married Isaac Rayfield, 1900, Shawnee City,OK. Cora Corrina Brown Beneke., and Georgia Geneva Brown Hassler. Cora and Georgia lived in the Houston,TX area.
Other children confirmed of Isham & Christina:
2) Isham Brown Jr.,b. VA., d.Boyd co.KY, married into the Alley/Robinette family, married to Louisa A.?, and then Mary 2cnd. Children: Mary J., Laban T.,Floyd, James, Sarah E., Charles, Carroll, and George(Benjamin Frank), all children born in KY. There is much more information on this family.
3) Henry Brown ,b.Smyth co.,Va., married Rhoda Tooten,1849,Smyth Va..also lived in the Boyd Ky area. Chidren: Louisa(married George Wells,July 2,1868).,Martha A.,John C., George W.,William H., and Amanda.(may be more children).
4) Lavisa Brown Wilcox.,b.ca.1832, married John Lilburn Wilcox. Lived in Boyd co.,KY. Chidren: Sarah and Gavitt.
Gavitt was born April 15,1858 and married Mary Ann Molly Elizabeth Robinett,Aug.23,1855. Gavitt and Mollie's children were:
Sarah Sallie Wilcox,b.1883, John lilburn born 1884,d.July 15,1902 in Cattlettsburg,KY., Jesse Wilcox b.1886; Freddie Wilcox b. 1889 married Clara Samuel; Estill Wilcox b.1891(WW1 veteran,never married,burried in AK);Walter Wilcox,b.1893-1926; Mary Wilcox b.1890 married Delbert Nunley? and they lived in the Portsmouth,VA.area in 1978., last child was Katie B. Wilcox b. April 1897.
Katie never married and lived in the Boyd co.,KY area her life. She was Gavitt's baby girl. Gavitt was married and had his funeral at the old Brown homestead in Boyd co.,KY.
5)James W. Brown was born About 1833 in Smyth County, VA and died bet 1900-1910 in Wayne Co. WV. He married Amacette/Emmasetta Porter, daughter of Permela Blankenship, December 18, 1859 in Wayne County VA/WV. She was born About 1830 in Wayne County, VA and died between 1900-1910 in Wayne County WV.
Children of James W. Brown and Amacette/Emmasetta Porter:
1)Labron/Laborn/Labe (depending on what document) T. Brown
Married Eliza Bates, 31 July 1883
Died of Catarrch at age 57 on 9/22/1917
2) Louisa Jane Brown married Uriah Ross Oct. 8, 1883 in Cabell County WV
She died 26, Jan 1928 in Cabell County WV
3) Katherine Brown born around 1864
4) Christina (spelling?) Permelia Brown
born 30 April 1865 in Cabell Co. WV
5) Emmasetta Brown born around 67/68
6) Sarah Josephine Brown born around 1870
married a man named Charlie but haven't been able to find any more information.
7) Levisa Belle Brown
The information about her on the web is all wrong. They have her father as a Porter or sometimes that she was married to a Brown.
She was the daughter of James W. and Emmasetta Brown.
Her father registered her birth on April 20, 1871.
Her birthday was April 11, 1871.
She married Lewis Sullivan on October 3, 1897.
She died on September 7, 1939.
She was originally buried on Prices Creek in the Sullivan Cemetery but the entire cemetery & family were moved to Bowen when the dam was built.
They had 10 children.
8) James G. Brown born 25 Dec. 1873 and died 19 Feb. 1887.
Also Napolean is listed on the web as a Porter but Levisa Belle always referred to him as her little brother and kept flowers on his grave.
****** This leaves 4 more boys to find. I am almost positive that the Peter Brown living with Christina on the census in Boyd,KY is a son, and Peter has strong ties, with land records attaching to this family. Peter possibly married a Cyrus in Greenup after 1870, and he passed away possibly between 1870-1880.(possibly was murdered). Haven't found any children for Peter so far.
Another possible son of Isham and Christina is most likely Hiram Brown. Hiram was also married in Smyth county,VA. in the 1840's to Mary Crow. Hiram is found in Boyd co.KY census with the following children: Isham(name passed down), Joseph, Louisa V. who married Andrew Scott,Dec.11,1860,Boyd KY., ElizabethA., Sarah, Yanilla?,and Lydia F. (may be more children).
Wesley Brown is another possible son who also lived around the Brown family in Boyd,KY.(according to census info.). Wesley and wife had known children: William G.,Andrew H.,Louisa J.,Mary M., and Emily E.
If you come across anything on the parents or brothers, children of Isham Brown SR., that would be so wonderful! He is a mystery that is so hard to solve.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|