I am still trying to find the parents or line of my great grandfather, Dr. John Fleming Rodgers of Versailles, Ky area. He lived in Anderson Co. at one time. Below is an excerpt from my Rodgers file (Thanks y'all!):
I. DR. JOHN FLEMING RODGERS; B. 6/12/1830 in either Bourbon Co., Ky. or Franklin Co., Ky--D. 10/14/1902 at his home in Clifton, Ky. and buried in Versailles Cemetery (Section B3, Lot # 418, Grave # 10) in Versailles, Ky. after a Stroke left him paralyized for the last two years of his life. His obit says he was born in Bourbon Co., but a researcher said he had seen Dr. Rodgers' either his birth or marriage certificate andit said he was born in Franklin Co.. Served in the Civil War as an Asst-Surgeon (rank of Major), 11th Ky. U.S. Cavalry. Buried in the Versailles Cemetery (Kentucky). He lived in Clifton, Woodford Co., Ky. the last 28 years of his life. The 1860 census has him in Lawrenceburg, Anderson Co., Ky. He must have moved around some during his life. (see above notes on Dr. Rodgers).
POSSIBLE FORMER OR FIRST WIFE OF DR. JOHN F. RODGERS (See note immediatley below):
-m-Married on Dec. 22, 1853 in Frankfurt, Franklin Co., Ky..
MARGARET E. PATTIE, B. 11/14/1837--d. ??. According to Susan Cieply, Margaret's parents were William S. Pattie, (2/19/1810--12/30/1883), and Mary Jane Smart, (3/23/1818--d11/27/1877), both born in Ky. William and Mary were married on 12/17/1835.
1. Mary Jane Rodgers-m-George P. Smith
2. Allie Vaughn Rodgers-m-
3. Fannie Thomas Rodgers-m-Mr. Greenwood.
NOTE: I met Susan Cieply on the internet at a genealogy discussion forum said that a Dr. John F. Rodgers from Frankfurt, Ky. married Margaret E. Pattie, born 11/14/1837, on 12/22/1853 in Franklin, Ky. (see census records above). This Dr. Rodgers and Margert Pattie had Mary Jane, Allie Vaughn, Fannie Thomas, and perahps other children. The mother and children, or at least the three girls mentioned, moved to Texas. One of their obituary has them there in the 1920s. Although no sons were mentioned, John W. Rodgers, Sr. said that his dad said that he had some siblings he had never met or seen.
Part of a note/e-mail, mentioning Margaret Pattie's siblings and the children of Dr. John F. and Margaret E. (Pattie) Rodgers,, sent by Susan Cieply:
I can actually contribute here. William and Mary Jane are Margaret's parents. Since she married Dr. Rodgers in 1853, she was already out of the house. The John below was my great grandfather. William S. Pattie (2/19/1810-12/30/1883) m Mary Jane Smart (3/23/1818-11/27/1877) on 12/17/1835. Margaret E. Pattie was born 11/14/1837-? ..Mary Louise Pattie(10/11/1839-6/26/1923) and Lucy Phenton (12/4/1842-11/14/1922) never married and stayed in Frankfort. Dr. Coleman Daniel Pattie (10/18/1844-1/22/1926)-m- Emma Crockett (10/14/1847-10/2/1932) and ended up in Richmond, KY. John Henry Pattie (7/8/1847-4/4/1891) m Sallie J. Richardson (12/14/1846-8/1/1889) stayed in Frankfort. Annie Pattie (8/22/1849-7/2/1933) m Frank H. McMahon (4/1/1850-1/1/1914) on 6/15/1870 and ended up in TX. This is the sister that I think ended up with Margaret and John's daughters in TX.
Now, I know that Mary Jane Rodgers, Margaret's oldest, married a George R. Smith and Fannie Thomas Rodgers married a Mr. Greenwood, but I don't know if they stayed in TX or what.
2ND WIFE OF DR. JOHN FLEMING RODGERS:
SARAH ISABEL WILLIAMS, B. in Kentucky--Died: Birth and Death date is not for certain. According to the Ky Death Records on KyGenWeb there was a Belle Glass (Belle Rodgers remarried a Glass after Dr. Rodgers died) who died at age 69 in Anderson on 7/20/1932. This puts that Belle as being born in 1863, which would make her 17 yrs old in 1880, the same age as the "Sallie Belle Rodgers" on the 1880 census then living with Dr. Rodgers. Probably the same person. Sarah Isabel Williams was the 2nd wife of Dr. Rodgers, known as "Belle". The family all called her "Ma
Belle". She remarried a Mr. R. M. (Robert I think) Glass after Dr. Rodgers died. Lester her son corresponded with someone named Julius Glass, some kin to Belle Glass I am sure, perhaps a son or step son, nephew or whatever, or perhaps her new husband or something. She is possibly the "Sallie Belle Rodgers" listed with the Dr. on the 1880 Woodford Co., Ky. Census. If so, then she was born around 1863. The first wife and their several children unknown for sure.
1. Lena "Lee" Rodgers, b. (?)-- (Deathdate is unsure, but some info on the KyGenWeb said she died 7/20/1951 in Franklin/Anderson, Ky.) -m-Mr. Oscar Keith Hawkins, b. (?)--(Death info came from same source as his wife Lee's) D. 3/13/1959 in Franklin/Anderson, Ky. Postcards dated around 1932 to and from Lena and her brother Lester were postmarked to Mrs. O. K. Hawkins, Lawrenceburg, Ky.. Lester called her "Lea". Issue: (A) Oscar Fleming Hawkins-m-Connie Brandon, (B) Ruby Hawkins-m-Mallie M. Honaker. One source says that "Lea" and Oscar lived in Pikesville, Ky. possibly around 1929.
2. Emma Rodgers -m-Thomas O. Blackerby, Sr.; issue: (A) Thomas O. Blackerby, Jr. -m-(?); issue: (A1) Thomas Blackerby III. (B) Dorathy Blackerby, b. 1912 in Bloomfield, Ky., Died March/April, 2003 in Montgomery, Alabama. They were in Nelson Co., Ky. in 1910. Some old post cards have Emma and Thomas in 1912 and as late as 1917 in Taylorville, Ky.. they evidently movd around a lot such as Dorathy being born in Bloomfield, Ky. in 1912. But eventually moved to Montgomery, Alabama, living there for the remainder of their lives. Their descendants still live there now. I have only spoken to one or two on the phone.
3. *Lester Samuel Rodgers, b. 9/30/1887 in Decatur Co., Indiana--d. 1954 in Montgomery Ala., V.A. Hospital. Buried in Prattville-m-Maude Janet White, b. 10/12/1892--d. 6/25/1985(see
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|