Thanks so much for your response. I'm not certain your Victor Kaelin is Martin Kaelin's (my GreatGrandfather) brother. But I do know that Martin Kaelin was born in 1842 in Switzerland and he named his son Martin Victor Kaelin. Martin Victor Kaelin was born on 1/4/1890 and a Victor Kaelin was Martin Victor Kaelin's godfather as documented by the St. Francis of Assisi church in Louisville, KY.
I found out that Martin Kaelin and his wife Mary E. Kaelin lived on Goldsmith Lane in Louisville.
Your Victor Kaelin is listed as a "Dairyman" in the 1900 census. In the 1880 Census Martin Kaelin is listed as a "Farmer"
More about Victor Kaelin from the 1900 Census:
- Immigrated to the United States from Switzerland in 1872 at the age of 28.
- Wife Theresa was born in April 1861
- Theresa immigrated to the United States from Switzerland in 1885 at the age of 15
- As of 22 June 1900 when this census was taken Victor had been married for 11 years
- Daughter Maria was born in April 1889
- Daughter Rosina was born in October 1892
- Daughter Victoria was born in October 1896
Because the census was written in script, some things are not entirely clear.... at least to me. The following data is given under a larger heading titled "Ownership of Home":
Under the column titled Rents or Owns there is an "O"
Under the column titled Owns Free or Mortgage there is an "M"
Under the column titled House or Farm there there is probably a "F" but I can't be certain. Printed Ms or Fs would have left no doubt.
Under a column titled Number of Farm Schedule there is the number 148.
Overall, I'm interested in the information you have concerning Victor's family members from Switzerland but first I need to determine whether or not Victor and Martin Kaelin were brothers.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|