You can find the history here: http://www.whiteskids.org/richheritage.asp
Here's part of what is found there:
In the early to mid-1800's, Quaker businessman and entrepreneur Josiah White grew in stature and in wealth as several of his larger business ventures became quite successful. Mr. White's achievements included the construction of America's second railroad line in 1827, the construction of the Delaware Canal in 1834 and the successful smelting of iron in 1840. The extraction of anthracite coal from the Allegheny Mountains in Pennsylvania was also a very profitable business venture for Mr. White.
During this period of success, Mr. White's deep love for disadvantaged and orphaned children grew. Shortly before his passing in 1850, Mr. White drafted and funded through his will a plan to rescue impoverished children, setting in motion the organization known today as White's Residential and Family Services. Since Mr. White's passing, for more than 150 years children of all ages have found the safety, love, education and Christian guidance they desperately need through the ministry of White's.
1850 – Josiah White visits Indiana Yearly Meeting to propose school.
1852 – 640 Acres of land are purchased from Chief Meshingomeshia.
1882-1895 – Indian children are sent to White's to be educated and taught to farm until the U.S. Government stops Indian children programs.
1905 – Bessie Latchem School is built. Rebecca White leaves $20,000 gift of Lehigh Coal and Navigation stock to the Institute.
1929 – Stock Market crash affects White's farm. Difficult to collect the 75-cent per diem.
1932 – White's goes to ½-day school schedule.
1938 – White's has more than 300 students in its care.
1939 – New gymnasium is built.
1947 – Robert M. Curless is hired as Superintendent and institutes a demerit/merit system called the 'Honor Roll.' Per diem is now $2.00 per day.
1953 – School is accredited for first time. Per diem is $3.00 per day.
1955-1976 – Curless pioneers construction of many buildings including: Roberta Hall (1955), White's Chapel (1960), cafeteria (1965), and new school (1975).
1978 – Richard Davis is hired as Superintendent. Several new cottages are constructed and a reduction in numbers improves quality of service to students.
1985 – Family Services, foster care agency of White's is created.
1992 – Name changed to White's Residential & Family Services, Inc.
1995 – White's launches $1.3 million fund raising campaign for constructing Hodson Campus Center and renovating Robert M. Curless Activity Center.
1997 – Emergency Shelter Care opens. Dee Gibson appointed Executive Director. Gentry Farm Shop burns.
1998 – Hodson Center opens. Main Hall demolished. Home-Based Services program begins.
2001 – Chapel is renovated and enlarged. Sesquicentennial is celebrated June 16. Alumni Reunion held June 17.
The Future – With your help, children's lives will be changed.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|