Timeline of William Hudson, with some listings of other Hudson's found. Looking for information to help determine if these are all connected and if our William belongs to any group:
Date generally associated with his birth via census records. His children will generally answer he was born in Indiana, on the 1880 census he will say Virginia, and (if it is him on the 1870) census he says England. His daughter on one census further confuses the issues by saying he was born ‘at sea’.
1830 – unk
· Land records indicate a Wm Hudson in Vanderburg Co., Ind
· Census for Evansville, Ind. Shows a John Hudson
1850 – unk
· Although there is a William Hudson in Vanderburgh Co., Indiana where ‘our’ William will marry in 1868 no known connection. He appears, however, to be born in ca 1790 in England and is listed as Wm Hodson in the home of a John and Jane Hudson in 1850 Evansville, Ind census. His other sons may be a Robert and a William (who might be ours) – both are in Pulaski Co., Il
· In Alexandria, Rapides, Louisiana , there is A Wm Hudson b 1827, single, carpenter, b. Va (Note later listing of work in a bed manufacturing business in Evansville).
· Evansville, Vanderburgh, Ind lists two Hudson’s both named John
· Pigeon Twp, John Hudson, b. England wife Jane, child Wm T, Drayman
· Union Twp., John Hudson, b. Pa farmer labor 35
· Alexander Co., Il – lists a John, 25, b. in England, wife Margarite, farm laborer
· Pulaksi Co, Caledonia Twp., Il – lists a Wm, b. Ind, working on a farm and a Robert Hudson b Ind working next door
1863 - City Directory
· The Evansville City Directory for this year lists no William Hudson.
1861-65 – Military Service in Civil War?
· If he was born in Virginia, he may have served and then post war gone ‘west’ – landing in Evansville, Vanderburgh Co., Indiana – a Mississippi port city- would not have been strange.
1865 – City Directory
· A Wm Hudson, butcher, res Joseph Lechner’s, Jacobsville (pg. 107)
1866 – City Directory
· Wm Hudson, lab works John Tohill’s, Jacobsville
· Edmond, tinner
· John, Dray, Lamasco
· Wm T., Dray, Lamasco
1868 – Marriages Emily Jane Kane (believe the spelling of her name was Cain)
· July he marriages this woman, daughter of Lewis Cain and Millie Greer Carson Cain Parker , in the same place at this time may also be her step-brother Thomas Benjamin Carter, and William Cain.
· City Directory: Wm Hudson, lab Tohills, Jacobsville
· City Directory: E.N. Hudson, tinner
· City directory lists a widow, Millie Parker (believe this to be Emily’s mother).
1870- Census - Evansville, Vanderburgh, Ind.
· Shows a Wm Hudson (says born England), with wife Emma, and son Lewis. From other documents, Emily may have sometimes gone by the name “Emma” and may have sometimes used the last name Carter. (The death record for her son Lewis/Louis Hudson calls her Emma Carter).
· He might have answered England to hide his southern roots, some men did this in the post civil war days.
· This same census also shows in Pigeon Twp, Vanderburgh, Ind. Thomas Benjamin Carter, William Cain (Kane) and Millie Parker. With them is a small child Benjamin Cain (Kane). This is her step brother, her brother and her mother. The child may be Emily’s or may be the child of a brother (one is unaccounted for and the other may have died in the Civil War).
· City directory for that year : City Directory (pg.159) lists one Wm Hudson, laborer at bed manuf John Tohill, Jacobsville
1870 Census –Pulaski Co., Il
· In Villa Ridge, Pulaski Co., Il (where our line will be later) is a Robert Hudson b England wife Jeannete, b. Scotland, and a son Lewis, 8 b Ill. (pg. 24)
· In Mound City (where our line will be later) is an Adrian Hudson, 30 b. Canada, wife Maggie (pg41)
· George, 25 OH in Grand Chain
· Robert, 45, b England, Mound City, farmer lab for Lewis Westfall (pg 29)
· Robert, 29, b England, Villa Ridge (pg.21) -- wife Jennetta, son Lewis
· A John Hudson b Al 49 (B) Mound City
· Zack Hudson b Al 34 (B) Mound City
1877 – City Directory (various unsure if they are related )
· Elizabeth Hudson, widow, 507 Grant
· George Hudson, 2nd street
· Mary J. widow 591 Walnut
· Orlando F. Hudson, butcher, w. Franklin
· Theodore Hudson, teacher, Campbell
1878 – City Directory (Various unsure if they are related)
· Nannie Hudson, widow, 617 Mulberry
· George Hudson, 2nd Ave
1880 – Census / Mound City, Pulaski Co., IL
· Listed is William (b. Va), wife Emily, daughter Millie, and son Lewis. Also, is Benjamin Kane, identified as step-son.
· The belief was Emily had married a Kane (Cain) but then once her parents were identified it was clear her mother, Millie Greer, had married 1) Cullen Carter, 2) Lewis Cain, 3) Edward Parker. Note the naming pattern at work. Benjamin, whose name appears to have been Thomas Benjamin Cain, may have been Emily’s illegitimate son, or what may be more likely, the son of a brother who died. Emily may have then assumed the oversight of the child when her mother died. Her brother Thomas Benjamin Carter buys a cemetery plot in 1876 in the ‘Mechanicsville’ Cemetery – which may refer to an area in old Evansville. No records of death or burial have been found.
· Pulaski or Alexander Co., Illinois / Family appears dispersed by 1900 so he and wife may have died between 1880 census and 1900 - when they have not been located. His wife's brother buys a cemetery plot in Pulaski Co., but no record found of a grave.
1890 – Unknown
1900 - Unknown whereabouts for Lewis/Louis or William and Emily/emma
· Villa Ridge, Pulaski Co., IL, a John and Martha Hudson, livery stable, he was born in IL. In Cairo, Alexander Co., Il is listed the wife of Lewis, son of William, but they are separated. 1904 Cairo City Directory The 1904 Cairo City Directory does list a Lewis Hudson working at the local Singer Factory, 37th Ohio Levee.
1 1910 Cairo, Alexander Co., Il Census
Cairo Ward 7, Alexander, Illinois / Living on Poplar str with 2nd family. Lucie (Louis) Hudson 39 Delia Hudson 26 ;Everett Hudson 6; Hessie Hudson 2 (His second family ; md about 1905)
1915 - Cairo, Alexander Co., IL City Directory
Wm Hudson, lab 512 19th
Louis Hudson, porter, 412 12th
1 1916 - Cairo, Alexander Co., IL
Wm Hudson, black man, dies, unknown age. No other Wm Hudson death found for the area.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|