Joseph Biggs, son of Rev War soldier Robert Biggs and wife Jane (Miller) Biggs of Westmoreland Co PA and Clark Co IN, was born 10 Apr 1793. According to information in his mother's pension record, Joseph was living in Jennings Co IN in 1849.
Joseph Biggs served in the Clark Co IN militia in 1812.
Joseph Biggs married Sally Fleehart in Clark Co IN on 21 Oct 1813.
CENSUS LISTINGS FOR JOSEPH BIGGS IN JENNINGS CO IN:
1820 -- 2 males under 10, 1 male 26-45; 1 female under 10, 1 female 26-45
1830 -- 1 male 5-10, 1 m 10-15, 1 m 15-20, 1 m 30-40; 3 females under 5, 1 f 5-10, 1 f 30-40
1840 -- 1 male 15-20, 1 m 20-30, 1 m 40-50; 1 female 10-15, 1 f 15-20, 1 f 30-40
JOSEPH BIGGS married OLIVA HANEY in Jennings Co IN 3 Jan
Olivy Jasper had married John Haney 5 Apr 1830 in Pulaski Co KY. ========================================================
1850 CENSUS, CLARK CO IN
Monroe Twp, 15 Oct 1850
JOSEPH BIGGS 57 TN merchant
Olive 37 KY
Polly 17 KY
Sciothe 7 IN female
[Elizabeth] Adeline 3 IN.
Elizabeth Adeline was Olive's daughter from her marriage to Mr. Haney. Since Polly was listed as b KY, she was presumably also born a Haney, rather than a Biggs. Not known whether Sciothe was a Biggs or a Haney.
Baird's "History of Clark County, Indiana," states "Joseph Biggs was the first storekeeper in Henryville. He kept his stock in a little frame house on the west side of the railroad..." Henryville is in Monroe Township, where the 1850 census listed Joseph.
1860 CENSUS, LASALLE CO IL
Town of Rutland, 21 Jun 1860
JOSEPH BIGGS 67 KY farmer 1600 500
Olive 50 KY
Siota 16 IN female [Most likely same person as Sciothe in 1850.]
Elizabeth 12 IN.
Elizabeth Adeline Haney was born 6 Nov 1847 in Henryville [Clark Co] IN, according to her death certificate, but she might actually have been born in Jennings Co and moved to Henryville after her mother's remarriage in 1850. She married John H. Addis 8 Jul 1863 in LaSalle Co IL and died in Vernon Co MO 10 May 1911, bur Worsley Cem. Daughter Ida B. Addis, b Dec 1864 IL, m Reuben Townley.
Joseph Biggs probate record, 1862, in LaSalle Co IL, Book B, page 109. [I have not seen this record.]
Oliva Biggs married John Reynolds 14 Mar 1866 in LaSalle Co IL. This marriage does not appear to have lasted long. "Olive Biggs", age 56, b TN, is listed in the household of Francis M. Jasper 31 IN in the 1870 census of New Albany, Floyd Co IN. Floyd Co borders Clark Co. Under the name Olive Reynolds she died at Henryville on 8 Nov 1889 at the age of 76.
BIGGS MARRIAGES IN JENNINGS CO IN to 1850
1. Robert Miller Biggs m Julia Ann Lindley 20 Nov 1834. In Waterloo, Jefferson Co WI, in 1850 and in Jacksonville, Morgan Co IL, in 1860. Robert b ca 1814 IN, Julia A. b ca 1814 NY, Sarah J. b ca 1834 IN (m Wm Church), Joseph b ca 1836 IN (m Artelessa Corcoran). The 1870 census of Boone Co IA shows a Julia Biggs 55 NY living with Richard Biggs 26 IN. Richard was son of James Harvey Biggs (see below).
2. Malissa Jane Biggs m James M. LINDLEY 20 Sep 1832. In Jennings Co 1850: James b ca 1812, Malissa b ca 1818, Thomas ca 1834, Sarah ca 1836, Margaret ca 1838, Joseph ca 1840, Taylor ca 1842. Malissa d 22 May 1904 Hastings NE. James Lindley's household is listed next to Robert Biggs' on the 1840 census.
3. James Harvey Biggs m Martha Jane House(?) 24 Jul 1841. James b 29 Oct 1818, d 21 May 1906 (accdg to online cem recd), bur Woodward Cem, Dallas Co IA. In Jennings Co IN 1850 and Dallas Co IA 1860. Second wife Margaret (Spencer?). Children: Silas, Richard, Sarah, Ally, Georgeann, Julie Ann, Velmore, William, Laura, Flora, Robert, Dora.
4. George W. Biggs m Luvina McCammon 29 Aug 1841. George b Oct 1820, d 28 Feb 1902. Married 2nd in 1877 Mary (Prater) Causey (1840/41-1919) Carroll Co MO. Both buried Coloma Cem, Carroll Co. George's children: Fannie b 1842 m John MARVIN, Sarah b ca 1844 m Wm Jones, Robert Miller Biggs b 1848, Melissa A. b ca 1850, Louvenia A. b 1854 m Michael PARSON, Amelia (1856-1944) m King LIGHTFOOT, George W. b ca 1859 (to Okmulgee OK), James H. b ca 1861, Charles Nelson Biggs b 1877, Richard Thomas Biggs (1879-1901), Lena Biggs b 1887.
5. Margaret Biggs m Richard MEEK Jr. 27 May 1839. In 1850 census Platte Co MO: Richard b ca 1820, Margaret ca 1825, James ca 1840, Sarah ca 1842, William ca 1844, Emily ca 1848, Joseph Wesley Meek 1849.
6. Malinda [Electa] Biggs m Isaac JORDAN 31 May 1847. Malinda b 18 Jan 1828, apparently died between 1870-1873 Jennings Co IN. Children: Eveline 1848, John 1850, James 1854, Joshua 1857, Julia 1859, Sarah 1862, Thomas 1865.
7. Cynthia Biggs m Thomas L. ADAMS 17 Feb 1847. Cynthia M. Biggs was b Sep 1830 IN, according to the 1900 census. In Rice Co MN 1860, Douglas Co MN 1870. The 1880 census of Columbia Co OR shows her as the mother of 10 children, 7 living. Her father's birthplace is shown as TN and mother's as IN. Children: Julia A. b ca 1849, William ca 1851, Thomas ca 1853, John H. b Jan 1857, Alonzo ca 1860, Emma ca 1863, Ulysses ca 1865 (same as Clarence? b ca 1866), Minnie ca 1869.
Note that, with the possible exception of No. 7, Cynthia Biggs and Thomas Adams, all these couples had a daughter named Sarah. Joseph Biggs married Sally Fleehart, and Sally was a nickname for Sarah. Robert, Malissa and Margaret had sons named Joseph.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|