U.S. States: Indiana: Cass County
The following Biographical sketch was copied from the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI, INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers. 1883.
page 649, City of Winamac,
"JEROME T. BRUCE was born in Union Township, Fulton County Indiana, just across the line from Pulaski County, March 14, 1848. His father, STEPHEN BRUCE, one of the earliest settlers of Union Township, was born in Pennsylvania July 3, 1814, and was a wagon-maker. In 1837, he located at Logansport, (Cass County, Indiana) and there assisted in the construction of the bridge-work of the canal and the aqueduct. In 1838, he entered land from the Government, and settled in Union Township. March 3, 1844, he married Mrs. (TAYLOR) BELL, who was born April 9, 1820. This lady died in April, 1855, the mother of eight children, of whom only JEROME T. is now living. In 1852, STEPHEN BRUCE brought his family to Winamac, (Monroe Township, Pulaski County) having previously purchased the old PEARSON flouring mill on a branch of the Tippecanoe River, above town. He followed his trade until he fully understood the milling business, when he took entire charge. The original mill long since passed away; he erected a new one, now in ruins, and adjoining it the present mill was begun in 1873, and completed in 1875, at a cost of $10,000. It is a three-storied frame, 28X40 feet, contains two runs of buhrs for wheat and one for corn and chop feed, and has a capacity of twenty-five barrels per day. Originally the mill was operated by water-power, but the dam was removed in 1882 by a decision of the Circuit Court. The case, however, has been carried to the Supreme Court, and is still unsettled. At present there is a twenty-horse power engine doing the work. The engine house is of two stories, 26X35 feet, with an office opening from the main mill and also the engine room, which is about twelve feet square. The quality of the flour manufactured has an excellent reputation. Mr. Bruce, on March 20, 1856, married NANCY JANE RODGERS, who was born July 3, 1834, and bore her husband eight children, of whom four are still living. January 16, 1881, Mr. Bruce died. His widow still resides in Winamac. JEROME T. BRUCE received a good high school education in his youth, and in December, 1872, married ARTHA R. MESSERLY. He has present charge of the mill, and owns considerable valuable property in and near Winamac. He is a member of the Lodge and Encampment of Odd Fellows, and of the Royal Arcanum. He is a Republican, and in 1880 was elected County Surveyor. He and wife are members of the M. E. Church, and are parents of one son - CHARLES."