I have seen conflicting info as to whether Wisdom Atkins b. 1812 is the son of Edward Atkins b. 1756, or the grandson of Edward through Thomas B. Atkins b. 1785. Currently, I'm leaning toward his being Edward's son, but haven't yet changed my online tree to reflect same.
The case for Wisdom being Thomas B.'s son is:
1) He fits nicely into the birth order of Thomas' first children: Frances 8 Jul 1810, Dudley 23 Sep 1811, Wisdom 24 Oct 1812, Nancy abt. 1814, etc.
2) Wisdom was born in Bath Co, KY while Thomas B. was living next door in Nicholas at least by 1820 census. Note: Bath county is not formed until 1811, while Nicholas Co is formed in 1800 and is contiguous to the future Bath Co.
3) He stays in Nicholas Co. for 1840 and 1850 census before heading north to Boone Co, KY (Indiana*) where he dies ca. 1893.
*Note: Boone county Indiana comes into existence in 1830, but is not contiguous with Boone Co, KY. Various records show a Wisdom Atkins in Boone Co, KY and/or IN over his life span. This is confusing.
4) It seems unlikely that he would be born to Edward and Frances Wisdom since they would have been ages 58 and 52+ respectively.
That Frankey Wisdom would have a child at 53ish seems to be the most compelling reason why he wouldn't be her child.
The case for Wisdom being Edward's son is:
1) Edward and Frances Wisdom are in KY around Bath and Nicholas counties by 1812.
2) Naming a last child Wisdom, after mother's family name makes sense.
3) Men, unlike women, are not as uncommonly fathering children at age 58 - and child bearing at mother's age 53 is possible, maybe?
4) It is possible Wisdom is Edward's son, but not Frances' child.
5) At some point Edward and Frances Wisdom are living with Thomas B. as they age, so existence of a Wisdom around the same household would not necessarily differentiate whose child he was.
Wisdom could also be the son of some other member of the extended Atkins clan entirely, though why they would have named him Wisdom would be a mystery.
We need to find a will that mentions Wisdom Atkins and his relationship to the will's author.
I have been puzzled for years trying to find a primary source to prove one of the above possibilities.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|