Samuel McDaniel was born 6 February 1794; married 20 March 1820 Jane Ford who was born 1 June 1801. Samuel died 9 October 1851 and Jane died 7 April 1879. They were buried in Sayre Cemetery (sometimes called Mitchell Cemetery and Sayre-Kerns Cemetery) on Pleasant Creek, Barbour County, West Virginia.
DAVID McDANIEL was born in Barbour County, 25 December 1824 son of Samuel and Jane (Ford) McDaniel. He married 11 December 1845 Mary Ann SAYRE who was born 26 November 1823 on Pleasant Creek, now Barbour County, West Virginia to Solomon and Mary Ann (Ball) Sayre. David, Mary and two sons were enumerated with the 1850 Taylor County Census. They moved to Iowa probably before 1860.
A relative wrote me about 1982 telling of a childhood experience of visiting McDaniel relatives in western Warren County, Iowa. She said there was a young man, Gordon McDaniel who was building a radio. There were no sophisticated radios then, just crystal sets. Just before she wrote me, she had seen an obituary for a Gordon McDaniel in the Denver, Colorado area and wondered if he were the cousin she had visited long ago.
David McDaniel was in Company C, 4th West Virginia Cavalry, during the Civil War. Mary Ann died 12 November 1881, and David died 3 August 1891. Children:
1. ULYSSES M. McDANIEL, b. 1847; d. 1854.
2. WESLEY F. McDANIEL, b. 3 June 1849; m. 8 September 1878 LUCY J. ALLEN who was born in Madison County, Iowa 12 July 1861. He was a farmer in St. Charles, Iowa and superintendent of the Methodist Sunday School. Children:
i. DAISY MAY McDANIEL, b. 24 August 1879.
ii. MARY F. McDANIEL, b. 16 November 1881.
iii. CHARLES W. McDANIEL, b. 27 May 1884.
iv. FLOYD A. McDANIEL, b. 8 May 1887.
v. DAVID R. McDANIEL, b. 16 November 1889.
vi. CLARA JESSIE McDANIEL, b. 28 October 1892.
3. MARY J. McDANIEL, b. 1852; d. 1854.
4. MARTHA M. McDANIEL, b. 11 July 1855.
RACHEL McDANIEL was born 24 September 1829 (1828 according to record copied from bible) to Samuel and Jane (Ford) McDaniel. She married 18 March 1849 (Bible record says 1847) Absalom SAYRE who was born 6 March 1819 in Taylor County, (West ) Virginia to Samuel and Sarah (McVicker) Sayre.
Absalom and Rachel lived in the Barbour/Taylor County, West Virginia area and after 1855, in Warren County, Iowa. He was a schoolteacher and served as a Methodist Minister. When the 1860 Warren County, Iowa census was taken Absalom and his family lived beside his spinster aunt, Mary Sayre. He moved to South Township, Madison County about 1870.
Absalom was a faithful, consistent member of the M. E. Church for over 50 years. He served as minister for about twenty years before his passing. He was widely known and respected, and commonly believed to have been a devoted husband and noble father. After almost a year of being an invalid, he passed away in 1887 of Bright’s Disease, leaving nine children and his widow. Inscriptions compiled from “King Cemetery” in Madison County gives his death date as 6 November 1887, age 68 years, 8 months. Rachel died of apoplexy 20 June 1904 age 56 years, at the home of her son, Dr. S. N. Sayre. Cemetery records state her death date as 6-5-1904. Funeral services for both Ab and Rachel were held at Elm Grove Church and burial was in (Row 4, South to North) the King Cemetery near Elm Grove.
SAMUEL McDANIEL who was born 15 April 1823 a son of Isaac McDaniel; married 26 March 1846 Belinda SAYRE who was born 31 July 1824 to Samuel and Sarah (McVicker) Sayre. Samuel died 19 November 1893 at Thornton, Taylor, West Virginia. She died 13 January 1899 (another source gives the date 18 June 1899). Burial was in the Payne Cemetery, Thornton, Taylor, West Virginia. Children probably all born at Thornton, Taylor, West Virginia:
1. MARY ANN McDANIEL, b. 19 January 1847; m. 11 November 1879 Rev. L. N. AUVIL. She died 3 March 1934.
2. SARAH ELIZABETH McDANIEL, b. 17 December 1848; m. 22 October 1893
ANDREW P. SHAFFER.
3. MATILDA KATHARINE McDANIEL, b. 17 November 1850; married 30 March 1873 JAMES M. KNOTTS, of Huling, West Virginia, son of Absalom and Elvina (Wilson) Knotts. This Absalom Knotts was a nephew to Absalom, Jr. who married Matilda Sayre. Matilda K. (McDaniel) Knotts died 22 February 1919. Burial was in Bluemont Cemetery, Grafton, Taylor, West Virginia.
4. REBECCA McDANIEL, b. 10 August 1853; d. 12 March 1854.
5. WILLIAM HARRISON McDANIEL, b. 16 March 1856; m. 23 December 1883
VIRGINIA C. MILLAN.
6. SAMUEL IRWIN McDANIEL, b. 17 June 1859; d. 8 February 1860.
7. HANNAH JANE McDANIEL, b. 20 April 1862.
8. EMILY SUSAN McDANIEL, b. 23 October 1864; m. 27 December 1887 ARTHUR L. COFFMAN. She died 26 January 1948. Burial was in Maple Grove, Marion, West Virginia.
9. JOHN ABRAHAM McDANIEL married LORENA COFFMAN.
10. MINNIE EDITH McDANIEL, b. 29 March 1872.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|