I am looking for a connection.
I descend from MARY HOWLAND who married BENJAMIN BUBIER in Lewiston, Maine in 1826. Census information shows that she was born about 1808 in Bowdoin, Maine. I have never found a definite reference to her parents. HOWEVER, I suspect she is the daughter of JOSEPH HOWLAND who is enumerated in Bowdoin from 1810-1830. In 1840, he is enumerated in Temple, Maine and presumably died there before 1850. From his son, Joseph Junior's, death certificate, I have deduced that Joseph Senior was born in New Brunswick, Canada...probably Sunbury County and that he married MARY GROVER, who was most likely from one of a number of Grover families of Bowdoin.
Now, the reasons I am prone to link my MARY HOWLAND to JOSEPH HOWLAND are as follows:
1) Mary was born in Bowdoin in 1808 and Joseph is the only Howland in Bowdoin in 1810.
2) Her name is Mary, same as wife of Joseph.
3) Mary married Benjamin Bubier, nephew of William Bubier of Bowdoin, who is enumerated very near Joseph Howland on the census.
4) Joseph settled in Temple where many of my other ancestors settled.
5) Joseph had a son, Joseph (b. 1823), who lived next door to Benjamin and Mary Bubier in Perkins Plantation (near Temple) and who married Cordelia Searles, daughter of David Searles, one of my other ancestors.
Sooooo....my questions are thus:
1) Who are the parents of Joseph Howland who settled in Bowdoin, Maine and married Mary Grover? I suspect he is somehow connected with Joseph Howland who married Elizabeth Mitchell and who was born in Middleborough Massachusetts, then settled for a time in Yarmouth/Harpswell, Maine and finally relocated to Burton, Sunbury County, New Brunswick, Canada. Joseph and Elizabeth had the following sons:
I have pretty much ruled out Ichabod and Jeremiah as they both had sons named Joseph, but the birth years make it impossible for their Joseph's to be the one I am looking for (incidentally, Ichabod and Jeremiah married Bubier women...one of the reasons I am looking closely at this family). But I have no information of the children of Isaac and Jacob.
2) Does anyone have more information on Joseph Howland of Bowdoin, such as a list of all his children etc...?
Any scrap of information would be welcome.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|