Catharine, wife of Oliver Hartwell (1765-1813)
According to the genealogies of the Hartwell family by Mary Adams in 1998, and by L.W. Densmore in 1887 and updated in 1956 by Lyman W. Densmore,
Oliver Hartwell, born about 1765 died in Ohio in 1813 and was married in 1802 to Catherine Shryock of Hagerstown, MD.
Adams and Densmore both note that Catharine died in 1863, but Densmore includes a photograph of her tombstone which says she died in 1864 at age 95 (meaning she would have been born in 1769). The photograph is currently posted on findagrave.com.
However, the census records of 1810, 1820, 1830, and 1860 all indicate that Catharine was born in 1780, for what that is worth. They are not always reliable, but these are consistent.
1. why does the text disagree with the tombstone in the photograph?
2. Who is Catharine?
1. Henry Shryock and Catherine Soloday had a daughter Catherine in 1772, but according to Shryock genealogies done by Gertrude Mohr and Esther Bare, this Catherine died young.
2. Valentine Shryock and Ann Christina Derr had a daughter Catharine in 1789 but according to one DAR application in 1991, this Catharine died in 1813.
3. Leonard Shryock and Margaret Streiter had a daughter Catherine in 1773, but according to Gusta E. Shryock's genealogy, this Catherine married William Doty (also spelled Doughty)
4. Christian Shryock and Eva March had a daughter Catherine in 1779, but according to Rhea Johnson's Shryock genealogy, this Catherine married Caspar Schaffner. And this Catherine is not mentioned at all in her father's will written in 1820, leading one to presume she has died.
All of these Catherines need work as their records are woefully incomplete.
And none of the records provide the answer to the question; who is the Catherine who married Oliver Hartwell?
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|