Alexis LaTour House
"Old Homeplace", Guillory Homeplace
Ville Platte Evangeline
The Alexis LaTour House (1835-7) is a story-and-a-half bousillage
Creole house located in the parish seat of Ville Platte. Despite a
number of alterations, the house retains enough of its original
architectural character to merit listing on the National Register.
The LaTour House began in 1835 as a small cottage one room wide
and two rooms deep, with a front gallery. In 1837 two more rooms were
added along with an American central hall. The new enlarged house had
something of a Greek Revival look with a more or less symmetrical
facade and a central doorway with transom and side lights. The house
also had numerous traditional Creole features such as an exterior
staircase, bousillage construction, beaded clapboarding, exposed
beaded ceiling beams, and beaded ceiling boards. In addition, the 1835
part of the house had an unusual looking mantel with cove moldings,
panels, and a large central lozenge motif. Other mantels in the house
were more conventional with panels and pilasters, but they too had a
In about 1900 a pair of large Queen Anne Revival dormers were
added front and rear, along with a large rear wing. In addition, many of
the windows and doors were replaced and the hall ceiling and garret
were sheathed in narrow gauge beaded board. Finally, the front staircase
In recent years many of the downstairs rooms have been resheathed
in either plywood paneling or bagasse board. In addition, all of the
gallery columns were replaced and scroll brackets were added.
Assessment of Integrity
There is no doubt that the LaTour House has had more than one set
of columns since it was built. Taken without the brackets, the present
solid wood gallery posts are probably fairly close to the original
columns. Of course, the brackets are easily removable. In our opinion,
the house is still easily recognizable for its early date and style. It still
retains its basic Creole cottage shape as well as its bousillage
construction. Moreover, it retains vital decorative features such as
mantels and copious beading. Even with the loss of some of its original
details, it is still the most richly detailed early house in the parish.
(See Item 8.)
To the rear of the house is a small nondescript shed which may or
may not be fifty years old. Because it does not relate to the architectural
significance of the main house, it is listed as a non-contributing element.
Specific dates 1835-37
Builder/Architect Builder: Alexis LaTour
Statement of Significance (in one paragraph)
The LaTour House is locally significant in the area of architecture as
an early and important structure within the context of Evangeline Parish.
Evangeline, once the northwestern part of Imperial St. Landry Parish,
broke off to form its own parish unit in 1910. According to the historical
record, settlement began in the late eighteenth century, and by the mid-
nineteenth century the area was fairly well populated. Ville Platte (where
the LaTour House is located) was incorporated in 1858 and is the parish's
oldest town. Little is known of Evangeline's early architecture, but
presumably there was the usual mix of Creole structures and structures
combining Creole and American features such as the LaTour House. This,
of course, was the typical architectural pattern for French parishes
during the period 1820 to 1860.
It should be noted that very little survives in Evangeline Parish from
before about 1880. Of the handful of early structures that do remain, the
LaTour House is certainly the finest. As far as the State Historic
Preservation Office can determine, all of the other earlier structures in
the parish are humble one or two room cabins of indeterminate date with
little or nothing in the way of architectural detailing. By contrast, the
LaTour House is as large as a medium size plantation house of the
period. Moreover, it is well detailed, with decorative mantels, beaded
clapboards, exposed beaded ceiling beams, and beaded ceiling boards.
Clearly it is the architectural landmark of the parish.
It is said that Ville Platte was named in the parlor of the LaTour House,
which could be true, but is very difficult to document.
Major Bibliographical References
Conveyance Records, Evangeline Parish.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|