The following may help --
Descendants of Abner Giffin
Generation No. 1
1. Abner3 Giffin (John2, Sr.Giffin1 Simon) was born April 09, 1777 in Hardwick, MA, and died November 04, 1836 in Hardwick, MA. He married (1) Mary (Polly) Stratton May 03, 1801 in Hardwick, MA, daughter of Isaac Stratton and Abigail Wheeler. She was born 1782 in MA (Rutland?), and died September 04, 1811 in Hardwick, MA. He married (2) Marcy Wicker December 20, 1813 in Hardwick, MA. She died 1865 in Ware, MA.
More About Abner Giffin:
MEMO1: 1817, qualified Hardwick voter
Notes for Mary (Polly) Stratton:
Mary (Polly) Stratton of Greenwich Ma has no surviving birth record. All Strattons in the region and in Mass. generally have been investigated and none of the Mary's or Polly's fit. Similarly, Bette Stratton of Greenwich who married Jonathan Towne has a birth record in Rutland, daughter of Isaac and Abigail (Wheeler) Stratton. Isaac died in 1783 and Abigail, with her children, must have sought refuge with Strattons in nearby Greenwich. Abigail's last appearance in the records is in the admin. of Isaac's estate and her petition of indigency. No death record as Abigail Stratton can be found. If she remarried, the record hasn't been found. Polly named one child John Watson Giffin, and Isaac Stratton had a sister that married a Watson who may have helped support Polly and Bette.
Lauriston is the castle of the Scottish line of Strattons although presumably all Mass. Strattons came from English lines. Nonetheless, Lauriston makes its appearance with Polly and then spreads out from Hardwick. More research on this name and its occurances is necessary.
More About Mary (Polly) Stratton:
More About Marcy Wicker:
Christening: lived with Samantha in Ware?
Children of Abner Giffin and Mary Stratton are:
2 i. Lauriston4 Giffin.
3 ii. Almon Giffin.
4 iii. Alma Giffin, born 1802 in Hardwick; died November 26, 1809 in Hardwick, MA.
+ 5 iv. John Watson Giffin, born August 05, 1804 in Hardwick, MA; died May 20, 1874 in Barre, MA.
+ 6 v. Samantha Giffin, born July 29, 1806 in Hardwick, MA; died July 30, 1857 in Ware MA.
Children of Abner Giffin and Marcy Wicker are:
7 i. Hosea4 Giffin.
8 ii. Elbridge Giffin.
9 iii. Mary Stratton Giffin, born August 05, 1814 in Brookfield, MA1. She married Erastus P. Giffin April 12, 1842 in Hardwick, MA; born March 29, 1813 in Brookfield, MA1.
10 iv. James F. Giffin, born 1823 in Barre, MA. He married Elvira Augusta Newton; born May 12, 1822 in Hardwick, MA.
More About James F. Giffin:
Burial: was of "Ware" when married
Christening: December 12, 1848, m. Elvira Augusta Newton in Hardwick
Residence: Gilbertville, Ma
Generation No. 2
5. John Watson4 Giffin (Abner3, John2, Sr.Giffin1 Simon) was born August 05, 1804 in Hardwick, MA, and died May 20, 1874 in Barre, MA. He married Achsah Berry December 25, 1834 in Hardwick, MA, daughter of John Berry and Betsey Mellen. She was born December 29, 1810 in Prescott, MA2, and died August 01, 1882 in Barre, MA.
Children of John Giffin and Achsah Berry are:
+ 11 i. Lucius5 Giffin, born 1836.
12 ii. Levens Oren Giffin, born September 24, 1836.
+ 13 iii. Lauriston Giffin, born October 27, 1841 in Barre, MA; died June 09, 1889 in Springfield, MA.
14 iv. Martha Hellen Giffin, born February 22, 1845.
15 v. Mary Ellen Giffin, born February 22, 1845.
+ 16 vi. William Giffin, born 1852; died 1919.
6. Samantha4 Giffin (Abner3, John2, Sr.Giffin1 Simon) was born July 29, 1806 in Hardwick, MA, and died July 30, 1857 in Ware MA. She married William W. Woodward in Barre, MA.
More About Samantha Giffin:
Cause of Death: Consumption
Child of Samantha Giffin and William Woodward is:
17 i. Charles E.5 Woodard, born 1834; died 1885 in Ware, MA.
Generation No. 3
11. Lucius5 Giffin (John Watson4, Abner3, John2, Sr.Giffin1 Simon) was born 1836.
Child of Lucius Giffin is:
18 i. Marion6 Giffin, died 1964.
13. Lauriston5 Giffin (John Watson4, Abner3, John2, Sr.Giffin1 Simon) was born October 27, 1841 in Barre, MA3, and died June 09, 1889 in Springfield, MA. He married Mary Louise Conkey April 09, 1867 in Hardwick, MA, daughter of Nehemiah Conkey and Maryetta Lincoln. She was born July 27, 1847 in Hardwick, MA, and died December 29, 1922 in Springfield, MA4.
More About Lauriston Giffin:
Occupation: Contractor, Mechanic (at wedding)
More About Mary Louise Conkey:
Religion: Calvinistic Society of Hardwick
Children of Lauriston Giffin and Mary Conkey are:
19 i. Frederic C.6 Giffin, born 1868; died 1890 in Colorado.
+ 20 ii. Harry Watson Giffin, born March 06, 1881 in Palmer, MA; died October 23, 1942 in Bristol, CT.
16. William5 Giffin (John Watson4, Abner3, John2, Sr.Giffin1 Simon) was born 1852, and died 1919. He married Eliza Stevens. She was born 1856, and died 1931.
Child of William Giffin and Eliza Stevens is:
21 i. Linwood6 Giffin, born 1892; died 1959. He married Gladys S. Weston; born 1887; died 1962.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|