George Family Genealogy Forum
To fellow GEORGE and SC, GA, TN and AL Resarchers:
I need your experience and brain power to help me solve the below GEORGE
puzzles. I am happy to share any information I have. I am convinced that answers to my questions may be buried in another's research files as perhaps their answers may lurk in my GEORGE data base which concentrates on George families 1800-1860 in South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and
Please consider the following 18 George households:
1. Russell George, (my gggf) according to 1860 census records, was born ca 1833 in SC. He married Martha F. Griffin on December 4, 1853 in Benton Co (Now Calhoun), AL. Most county records were destroyed in civil war. Their children were: Lucinda m. Cristopher C. Morgan in Blount Co 1872 and went
to Pontotoc Co, MS; Thomas Jefferson m. 1st Mary Hudgeons and 2nd Addie
Tanner in Denton Co, TX; Laura F. m. Sylvester Walker in Blount Co 1877 and
went to MS, TX and WA; Mary E. m. Andrew Jackson Evans in Denton Co, TX 1881 and went to TX and Skagit and Yakima Cos, WA; Nancy C. (Carrie?) m C. C. Evans in Denton Co, TX. Russell died in civil war with Co F, 58th AL in 1863. His widow was in Blount Co in 1880 and went to TX with two younger daughters to join son, Thomas Jefferson, who was living with Aurelius Coffey and wife Grace A. Penelope Hodges. Martha F. Griffin George was daughter of Beverly Allen Griffin, b.
1788 SC. (Russell was my GGGFather.)
Who are Russell's parents?
What is his connection to other Georges in area of Calhoun Co, AL?
Where was he in 1850 census when he would have been about 17? Where was his
widow and children in the 1870 census? She is in Blount in 1880
2. David George, 1840 Benton (now Calhoun) Co census.
1 Male 00-05 Years
1 Male 20-30
1 Female 00-05
1 Female 05-10
1 Female 30-40
3. James George, 1840 Benton Co census
1 Male 00-05 Years
1 Male 05-10
1 Male 20-30
2 Females 00-05
1 Female 20-30
David and James are next door to one another. Their neighbors are John J.
Poe, Stephen Poe, John Honey(Honea?), William Honey, Jesse Andrews and Abel
Brooks with Rev. Soldier Tobias Honey in household.
David and James are gone by 1844 tax list.
Who are these people?
Where did they come from and where did they go from Benton Co? What are the
names of children and spouses?
4. Wilson George, age 21-45, in Ritchey's Beat, 1844 Tax List for Benton
Co.(Only surviving record.)
Neighbors were: Cornelius Cannon, Simpson Sanders, Samuel Metcalf,
William Dockery. This may be same as Wilson George in 1840 Spartanburg, SC
census living next to an Anthony George and Dolla George. (Anthony mentioned below). The Spartanburg Wilson George had a brother-in-law, Simpson Sanders. Note neighbor, Simpson Sanders in Benton Co Tax list.
5. William George, age 21-45, in Ritchey's Beat, 1844 Tax List
Neighbors were: Willis Woodruf, John Phillips, John Morris, Joseph Allen
6. Solomon George, age 21-45, in Jacksonville Beat, 1844 Tax List.
Neighbors were: Benjamin F. Broyles, Joseph Noe, Hamson Yoe, David Alewine.
Note David Alewine is in house of Lucy George below.
Presumed to be same as Solomon George, b.ca 1814, SC as listed in 1850 Benton Co census. This Solomon m. Elizabeth Jackson, b. ca 1825 in SC on August 30 1839 in Carroll County, GA and had children: Sarah Frances, b ca 1841; Marion b. ca 1844; Pinkney b. ca 1845; Saphrona b. ca 1847 and Rinda
b. ca 1850. They later go to St. Claire and Jefferson Cos, AL.
Who are his parents and what relationship to Anthony George?
7. Miss Lucy George mentioned as buyer in estate sale in late 1840s in Benton County. Presume she is same as the Lucy George in 1850 census b. ca 1810 SC with David Alewine in house along with Elisha age 19 and Mary age 16, all born in SC. Shown as Georges in census but are probably Alewines.
Who are Lucy's parents and where did she come from in SC?
What is her connection to the Alewines?
8. Charles D. George m. Nancy Boyd (daughter of Judge Boyd) on October 8, 1851 in Benton County. She was daughter of Judge Samuel Boyd. Both she and their child died young. I have copies of several letters written by a
Charles George to Benjamin George who was a trader in the Calhoun County
9. Benjamin C. George, b. ca 1829 TN, son of Thomas S. George and Mary? of Lincoln Co, TN. Benjamin died unmarried and with will in 1856 in Benton Co. He was a grocer and his body was returned to Lincoln Co, TN but will
probated in Benton Co, AL.
Is he a brother of Charles?
10. Levi George m. Sarah J. Autrey on March 20, 1856 in Benton Co. Note that a Margaret George, daughter of David George of Henry Co, GA, m. an Eldredge Autry and see Enoch George below.
Who are these people related to and where are they in 1850 and 1860 census?
11. Enoch George (Enoch Benjamin George) m Sinthy Autrey on October 30,
1820 in St. Claire Co, AL. They went to Florida, I believe.
Who are these people related to and where are they in 1850 census?
12. Anthony George, b. ca 1819, SC is in Sand Hill in Carroll Co, GA in 1860.
He appears to be the Anthony George in the 1840 SC census who goes to Georgia,
then to Missouri and back to Georgia according to birth places of children.
This Anthony was probably a brother to Wilson George whom he is next door
to Anthony in 1840 Spartanburg, SC census.
Wilson may have gone to Oregon.
13. Jesse George (Pauper)Died about 1840 in Carroll Co, GA
Is he same guy who m. Anna Holden December 27, 1832 in Coweta Co and had
son, Jesse? Note, an Anna George remarried Robert R. Cook, March 4, 1846, in Carroll Co. Anna's son, Jesse George b. 1834. What happened to this Jesse George?
14. John N.(Nicodemius?) George.`b. ca 1815 GA, m. Sarah Stewart August 14,
1841 in Blount Co, AL. Son Andrew David George, b. ca 1853 m. Hixey A. H.
Walker on November 14, 1869 in Blount Co, AL. He was neighbors with two Nations families in the 1855 special census. Note that Nations and Georges were connected in early Spartanburg, SC. Who are his parents and siblings?
15. Rebecca ? George, b.ca 1801 SC. Who was her husband? Could it have been
David George? Her children in 1850 in Coosa Co were Pernelia, b. TN ca 1834
and m. James M. Shinn; Margarett Jane b. TN July 8, 1836 and narried Elias
Moore; and Mary b. 1840 TN. Note Silas George, b. August 27, 1822 in TN
living next door and probably Rebecca's son. He married Nancy Ferguson August 14, 1846 Coosa Co, AL.
16. Charles George, b. ca 1818 KY in DeKalb Co, AL census of 1850 as physician.
17. Living next door to Thomas George, b. KY ca 1821, wife mary b. KY 1822, daughter Elizabeth b. 1846 KY and son, James b. 1849, AL.
Who are these people and what George family and location did they come from
18. Robert George, b. ca 1819 SC and wife, Mary E. Forman, b. June 27, 1817
were married February 8, 1838 in St. Claire Co, AL and had children:
William, b. November 20, 1839 who m. Mary Ann Cobb in IN; Sarah Elizabeth
b. April 14, 1840 AL; James F. b. 1842 AL; Louisa C. b. March 25, 1843 AL;
Mary A. b. December 11, 1844 and m. David Owens; John Llewellyn b. October
13, 1846 and m. Sarah Jane Mize; Robert M. b. June 5, 1848 who m. Rutha
Mize and Joseph Winston b. December 13, 1854 who m. Elizabeth J. Thomas.
Who were Robert's parents and where did he come from in SC?
If you are connected to or have any information on the above families,
please let me hear from you. Thanks for your consideration.
W. Peyton George
1601 Chapel Hill Drive
Alexandria, VA 22304