I've been a Generations user for 10 years. It began back in 1994 when Reunion was the only genealogy program available for Windows. I love this program. Though I've tried others over the years, it's been the best one for entering and managing people, relationships and source documentation.
However, it's getting stale, and it's time for me to move on. I keep Family Tree Maker around - I like it for publishing Books and reports, but don't like the way you navigate through families (only see 4 kids info at a time) or the way it handles sources (no master list/report).
I've been doing some research and checking the Genealogy Software report card: www.mumford.ca/reportcard/rcardfrm.htm.
I'm evaluating the following programs:
GenBox (now version 3.2.2)
Legacy Deluxe (now version 5.0)
The Master Genealogist
Ancestral Quest (version 11)
How am I going to decide?
- Source handling is important to me. I need a master list of sources that link to individual events.
- Events - Software needs to handle date/place information for more than just birth, marriage, death. Including immigration, child birth, residences, military, etc.
- Alternate views of data, to help move research along. Being able to view (and not separately in a report) facts/events either via date/chronology or places.
- Windows-standard User Interface. Love Generations, but honestly, I need something that lets me re-size windows and more keyboard shortcuts, please!
- FTM-like "Books" feature, that lets me bundle together reports and my own additions into 1 big document. (Web Publishing isn't important to me.)
- Cool navigational features, like relationship identifiers, direct line bolding, editable views, etc.
- Ease of import from Generations. FTM loses too much data. With over 3000 people in my primary data file, I don't have time to fix import/export mistakes for every individual.
That's all I can think of for now. Please let me know if this is useful or if you have experience with any of the above programs. I'd love to hear from you.
Sad to leave, but it's time,
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|