I am searching for information on the Harris's that moved to Blount County, TN From NC<PA<Ireland and then some moved to North Georgia and settle in Murray County, GA.
Thanks to Ann Cary’s posting of the Millflintown Document and Dorothy Boyle’s- Old Harris History found- posting, I know that there is a John Harris, one of the 7 sons of Robert Harris and Dorothy Wylie/Wiley. He was born in Ireland between 1690-1697 and immigrated to Lancaster County, PA. From there he is found in Mecklenburg, NC where he is a Rocky River Harris. He was married first to Grizzel Steel/Stell in 1714 and had Jane, James Margaret and Robert. In 1725 John married Rebecca McBay and had 4 more children-John, William, Thomas and Elizabeth. John Harris later moved to Blount County, TN with his 8 children by the 2 wives.
I am interested in one of his sons by Rebecca McBay, also named John HarrisII, born abt. 1742 and died in Blount County, TN abt. 1804. He “had married twice in Carolina” and had a son named William. According to the Mifflintown Document, John HarrisII
“had lived with his half brother-in-law John and- sister Jane (in PA), went to Carolina, married...... by whom
he had William10 and other children. After her death he married......by whom he has other
children. He now resides near Mayville [or Maryville), Blount Co., Tennessee. His children are
William,John Baird, Elizabeth4, Robert Marklin, Mathew Handy, and Joseph Gilliland ——1801.”
I am trying to zero in on the child-William.
My William Harris, parentage unknown is known to have lived in Blount County, TN at least from 1801-1840's. He was married to JANE TRIPPETT the daughter of JONATHAN TRIPPETT of Blount County who left his estate to the children of William Harris. At the time of the 1850 census, William Harris was living in the household of his son-in-law, Joseph Rorex and daughter Rossy Ann in Murray County, GA. He is not in the 1860 census.
The William Harris children were:
(1) JOHN NICHOLAS or NICHOLS, b.1810 in Blount County TN and married in Blount County to Nancy Garner from TN. They moved to Murray County, GA. and John N. died there in 1890.
(2) WILLLIAM RUFUS, b.1821. He also moved to Murray County and died in 1890.
(3) SAMUEL- some researcher have no listing of him and he is not in the will of Jonathan Trippett.
(4) MARY "POLLY", b. 1806. She moved to Boone, IN and was married to Adron Ball.
(5) ROSSY ANN, b.1814 and died in 1807. She married Joseph Rorex.
(6) ROBERT G. who moved to Monroe, IN.
(7) JONATHAN who also moved to Monroe, IN.
(8) MATTHEW T. b. abt. 1816 and lived in Boone, IN. and married Martah ?
(9) HULDA JANE b. February 10, 1818 and died November 30, 1881 in Murray Co. She never married.
(10) NANCY b. 1821 and died bef. 1860. She moved to Murray Co. in the 1850's and was married to Robert Anderson.
My gggrandfather John Nicholas Harris was born in Blount County, TN 1810 and married Nancy Garner, daughter of Dr. William Garner and Dolly Williamson. They moved to Murray County, GA.
The father of John Nicholas/Nichols Harris was William Harris, born on October, 9, 1779 not sure where. He was married to Jane Trippett, daughter of Johnathan Trippett of Blount County, TN who left an inheritance to some of their children. (Need more information on him, too.)
My Great Grandmother, Etta Mae Harris, born Sept 6, 1891 in Murray County, GA knew her Harris family to be Scotch-Irish. Her family was instrumental in building Sumach Presbyterian Church in that Murray County. I feel sure my Harris family ties in with the Rocky River, NC Harris family that came from Raphoe Parish, Donegal, Ireland via Lancaster County, PA.
I descend through two of John Nicholas Harris and Nancy Garner's children:
(1) SAMUEL HENRY HARRIS b. January 9, 1837 in TN and died September 16, 1918 in Murray County, GA. He married MARTHA McENTIRE in 1861. Their son, JAMES THOMAS HARRIS b.January 13, 1865 was my ggrandfather.
(2) MARTHA ELIZABETH HARRIS, b. February 20, 1844 and died on June 8, 1917. She was married to JOHN CUNNINGHAM McENTIRE. Their daughter, NANCY ANN McENTIRE b. March 5, 1870 was my gggrandmother.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|