Seeking possible CHATFIELD connection to KENNEDY/KANADY and OWENS families in Upson and Meriwether counties in Georgia early to mid-1800s.
MATILDA CHATFIELD OWENS was the daughter of MARTIN OWENS and MARTHA KENNEDY/KANADY who were married in 1827 in Upson County, GA. Seeking information on whether CHATFIELD may have been Martha or Martin's mother's maiden name.
Martin and Martha moved to Meriwether County sometime before 1850 where Martin died in 1852 (estate papers may be seen on the Meriwether County Genweb Archives page). Martha took the children and moved to Fayette County in 1853 where she applied for guardianship of the children. They appear in the 1860 Fayette census. Then some of the children moved to Campbell County by 1870. This is where Matilda Chatfield Owens married HENRY NEWTON COCHRAN in 1869.
Children of Martin and Martha Owens were:
1. William J. Owens (abt. 1830-aft 1860)
2. Mary A. Saphronia Owens (1833-1900) m. Jonathan A. Ball
3. Martha Amanda Owens (abt 1838-aft 1870) still unmarried in 1870 Campbell County census
4. Sarah Elizabeth Owens (abt 1842-aft 1860)
5. Matilda Chatfield Owens (1846-1899) m. Henry Newton Cochran
6. Lucinda Caroline Owens (1847-1886) m. William Jethro Fowler (my great-grandparents)
7. Robert Martin Owens (abt 1851-1890) may have married Julia A. Bailey and moved to Carroll County. Was still single in 1870 and living in Campbell County with sister, Martha Amanda Owens, next door to other sister, Lucinda Caroline Owens Fowler.
Martin and Martha were my great-great-grandparents, so if the surname CHATFIELD appears in either of their backgounds, it would be my direct line.
Many thanks for any help.
Judy Fowler Kilgore
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|