firstname.lastname@example.orgInformation provided by Charles Anthony Felton Jr. He researched the Southeast Census Office in Atlanta.
The documented life of John Felton (born 1845) starts in the 1870 Macon County Georgia Census. It lists him as being 25 years old from the District of Montezuma. We can follow the path of his life because he married and participated in the Census. Going from Macon County Georgia to Yazoo Mississippi with wife Rose Felton.
1870 Census Macon County Georgia, Montezuma District (8/26/1870)
John and Rose Felton
Black Male age 25 Black female age 22
Farmer Labor Infant age 3 ˝ or 3/12. Female born in March of 1870 (Mary E.?)
Wife: Rose Husband: John
John and Rose may have moved from Macon County GA to Yazoo MS between (1872-1877). Also, Midnight and Holly Bluff adjacent to Yazoo City is where I am told Feltons resided. I am told that is where most are buried.
It is important to know that John Felton said (1880 Yazoo MS Census) his parents were born in Georgia. Rose staed that her father was from SC and mother from GA. Besides John and Rose's mention (MS Census 1880?) of their parents we have nothing else on their parents.
1880 Census Yazoo Mississippi (6/15/1880)
John and Rose Felton
Black Male age 34 Black Female age 32
Born in Georgia Born in Georgia
Worked on Farm Appearance as “Keeps House"
Cannot read or write Cannot read or write
Father born in Georgia Father born in SC
Mother born in Georgia Mother born in Georgia
Married to Rose Felton Married to John Felton/Four Children
Continued 1880 Census Yazoo Mississippi (6/15/1880)
1. Daughter: Mary E. age 10 (attended school during census year) b1870
2. Son: Gus age 8 born in Georgia b1872
3. Daughter: Eveline age 3 born in Mississippi b1877
4. Son John Henry Sr. age 2 born in Mississippi 1878 May 22nd. From this point on the story follows John Henry Sr. age 2. Mary and Gus most likely stayed in the area into Adulthood. Aunt Thelma tells me that Eveline's later moved to St. Louis, her decedents still reside there. Aunt Thelma state that John Henry Sr. spoke of having a brother James also. We found a James Felton born 1888 June 22nd from Humphreys County. He lived in Washington County 1917-1918. I will inquire about the others.
1910 Census for Yazoo Mississippi (5/25/1910)
John Henry Sr. and Eliza Ann Vaughn Felton
Black Male Black Female
Age 32 Age 26
No able to read Not able to Read
Married 8 years Married 8 years
Born in Mississippi Born in Mississippi/ 5 children born, 1 living
1. Daughter: Aunt Rosie age 7 ( Aunt Thelma states that Rosie died around age 7). Other children born later: Aunt Bessie, Uncle Huey, Uncle Leo, Grandpa Willie, and Uncle John Henry Jr.
Children of John Henry Sr. and Eliza Ann Vaughn Felton: I think all born in Yazoo/Humphreys area.
a. Bessie Felton: Later moved to Chicago Illinois. Born 11/12/1938. Died 1/4/1996 in Chicago. No Children.
b. Ellen Felton: Need more. I believe she live most of her life in Yazoo. No children.
c. Willie Felton: Later moved to Omaha Nebraska with Wife Myrtis Brown Felton Ross. Descendents include Uncle James Felton of California, Aunt Willie-Mae of Stockton, California, Uncle Roosevelt Felton of Stockton, California. Uncle Charles Felton Sr. of Florida, Aunt Earline Felton Simmons of Omaha, and Uncle Melvyn Felton of Omaha.
d. Huey Felton: Need More. Lived in Yazoo. Descendents include Uncle Caesar Felton of Yazoo City. Uncle Robert Felton of Yazoo City, Charles Felton (Baby) of Jackson, Leroy Felton of Yazoo, Katie-Mae Felton of Plant City Fl, Anne-Mae of Plant City Fl, Gloria-Jean of Yazoo, Bernice of Jackson, and Thelma-Jean of Omaha.
e. Leo Felton Sr. : He pasted in Cairo, Ill. 1974. He had two sons. I have no picture of Leo. Aunt Thelma states that his sons Henry and Leo Jr. live in Springfield Ill.
f. John ‘Red’ Felton Jr.: Later moved to Denver Colorado from Omaha according to Obit . Born 12/18/1909. Died 12/4/2004 in Denver. No children. I was told that they lost children with wife Carrie.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|