I found this in the Basement of the DAR Library. It must have been written about 1963 because child from second wife Victoria Mart is still alive and it is 1963. The title is "FROM A HISTORY OF HUMPRYES CO>< TN, by Garrett & McClain.
I retyped it and double checked it. Hope I got all the dates right.
MARQUIS LAFAYETTE FOWLKES SR –b. March 11, 1826, Hickman County, d. April 13, 1889, Humphreys County. (Son of Gabriel Fowlkes, b. Virginia and Jincy Hyde, native of Williamson County. Gabriel was son of Thompson Fowlkes, Revolutionary Soldier of Lunenburg Co., Virginia. See Tennessee DAR Roster for service record. Gabriel Fowlkes was b. April 21, 1777, d. 1867, was sheriff of Hickman County and served one term in Legislature.) Marquis Fowlkes, known as Mark, came to Humphreys County 1856, lived in District 12 where he owned over 3,000 acres. He married first to Martha Louise Foster on Dec 30, 1845. She was the daughter of William Henry Foster of Hickman County. She was the mother of 13 children, one died in infancy. She died Feb 1, 1875 and on June 6, 1875, Mark Fowlkes married Victoria Martin.
The children of Marquis L. Fowlkes: (first marriage)
1. Sara J. (Sallie) b. about 1847, m. 1. C. M. Byrn; Mose Box
2. William H., b. about 1849, known as Bud Fowlkes. M. Sabrina Hooper
3. Latitia, b. about 1850, m. Captain William I. White
4. John G., b about 1852, m. Mollie Britt (Mary Elizabeth Britt). John G. moved in 1875 to Penton County, 1885 to Dyer County. Children: (1) William F., died in infancy; 2. Thomas Lee; 3. Foster F.
5. Richard Washington, b. about 1853, m. Fannie Walker
6. Lilbourne Lafayette, b. about 1858, known as Put Fowlkes, ,m. Sue Addison
7. Millard Foster, b. about 1860, known as Babe Fowlkes,m. Sallie Bingham
8. James Franklin, b. about 1862, m. Alicia Wyly Nolan
9. Robert E. b., Dec 16, 1863, m. Dec 19, 1883, Ella
G. Malcolm, daughter of Dixie Malcolm. No children.
10. Marquis Marion, b. about 1866, m. Mary Slayden. He died May 6, 1902
11. Martha Anne, b. 1870, m. Dec 15, 1891 to George H. Brandon, married second time A. F. Edmondson of Dallas, Texas
12. Thomas A., b. about 1872, m. Ada White
The children of Marquis L. Fowlkes (second marriage) Victoria Martin,
1. Lelia b. 5/26/1875 d. 2/10/1945 m 1. John H. Hedge (2) Charles P. Burchard
2. Clinton J. b. 8/14/1878 m. Mattie Jones
3. Hattie—only on of his children living today. She is Mrs. R. H. Gray and lives May 1963 in Lobelville, Tennessee
4. Loucile b. 9/1/1882 died 3/4/1922 m. Clyde McAdoo b. 7/19/1880
Following the death of Mark Fowlkes in 1889, his widow made two subsequent marriages to Marshall Dodson Foster and Captain W. W. Hobbs.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|