Chris (and you interested folks following along),
I've just finished modifying the entries for the Elijah Flandreaus in the database, drawing heavily upon your posting. I'd like to add the census and directory information more precisely, if you're willing to transcribe it or send me a copy or some such.
As I was finishing the changes just now I took a look at Daniel A. Flandreau again. Does he appear in any of the Lain directories you looked in? Actually, I'd be very interested in _any_ Flandreaus who appear in those directories. But at the moment I'm wondering whether Daniel appears in Manhattan with his father after 1869? There's a cooper named Daniel in New Rochelle by 1870, as well as supposedly a Daniel in Greenburgh in that same census that I haven't been able to find yet.
On the matter of coopers named Flandreau, the database currently has at least nine distinct people, and possibly eleven:
- Daniel A. Flandreau b. bef 1839 (the son of Elijah)
- Daniel L.(?) Flandreau b.1829 (appearing the 1870 census in New Rochelle, possibly the same person as Daniel A.)
- David Flandreau b.1788 (appearing in 1850 census in New Rochelle, living alone; there are 1810 and 1830 census entries for a David Flandreau as well)
- Edward Flandreau b.1820 (appearing in the 1850 census for New Rochelle, with his family wedged in between those of James, below, and of William, the shoemaker and father of States Flandreau mentioned elswhere)
- Elijah Flandreau b.1800 (see previous)
- Elijah P. Flandreau b.1823 (see previous)
- Ervin S. Flandreau b. bef 1845 (appearing in Trow's 1866 directory, residing at 82 Lewis)
- Irving Flandreau b.1811 (appearing in the 1850 census of New Rochelle)
- James Flandreau b.1790 (appearing in the 1850 census of New Rochelle)
- James H. Flandreau b.1825 (appearing in the 1860 census of New York City's 10th Ward, with a Sarah Flandreau and a Benjamin Flandreau, probably his siblings, and in the 1870 census of the 12th Ward with brother William, below)
- William Flandreau b.1829 (appearing in the 1870 census with brother James H. above)
Could Ervin and Irving be related?
Another tidbit: The 1870 census for Elijah and Sarah M. Flandreau includes in the same dwelling a Rachel Flandrue, aged 26. Irving Flandreau has a daughter named Rachel who was 6 in the 1850 census.
Irving is probably the brother of my wife's ancestor Alexander. It occurred to me the other day that, with the right spin on the name, Alex and Elish sound a lot alike.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|