Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Surnames: Ferry Family Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Re: Ferry/McGee/McGinley/McNulty - Falcaragh, Donegal
Posted by: Patrick Anderson Date: December 06, 2001 at 14:44:50
In Reply to: Ferry/McGee/McGinley/McNulty - Falcaragh, Donegal by Brian Bonner Mavrogeorge of 755

Descendants of Owen Ferry

Generation No. 1

1. OWEN1 FERRY was born Abt. 1810 in Falcarragh, Donegal County, Ireland, and died in Falcarragh, Donegal County, Ireland. He married MARY GRACE CAMPBELL, daughter of ? CAMPBELL. She was born Abt. 1810 in Donegal County, Ireland, and died in Falcarragh, Donegal County, Ireland.

Notes for OWEN FERRY:
Owen Ferry was from Ballyboe, Crossroads, now called Falcarragh, County Donegal, Ireland where he is listed in the 1857 Griffiths Valuation as the tenant of 12 acres.

Subj:        Re: [DONEGALEIRE] Owen Ferry
Date:       10/15/99 9:08:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: (Paul McGeady)

My notes from the Report of the House Of Commons investigation of destitution in Gweedore and Cloughaneely in 1858 shows
that there was an Owen Ferry who was a tenant of Rev. A. Nixon Owen for some reason that does not appear was also known as King William. He lived in the Townland of Ballyboe. There were seven in his family at that time. The record also shows that in the same townland there were two other Nixon tenants named Ferry, one called Mary Ferry(perhaps Owens wife but perhaps not) and one Nancy (ann) Ferry also a tenant. The bit about King William is interesting Hope this is of some help.
Subj:       Re: [DONEGALEIRE] Owen Ferry
Date:       10/16/99 1:57:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:       AWalsh5239
To:       PatAnder73

Pat, if your ancestor 'Owen Ferry' was born in 1810 in Falcarragh, you MIGHT find more information about him or his family on the following records:
Going Backwards:
1. The 1857 Griffith's Valuation which will tell you the size and value of his land and the name of the landlord.
2. With the name of the landlord, you might find Estate Records which could include Rentals. Usually, rentals will only list the head of the household.
3. The 1826 Tithe Applotment. Just the name of the head of the household

Going Forward
1. The land valuation records begin right after Griffith's and extend well into the 1950s, on film.
2. The 1901 Census may have some of Owen's descendents.
3. The Falcarragh Chruch records start in 1887 and may have info on Ferry members

To access most of these records, go to your nearest Family History Center of the Mormon church. They also have a Web site. Good luck. Anne

Subj:        Re: [DONEGALEIRE] Owen Ferry
Date:       10/17/99 5:06:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: (Paul McGeady)

Dear Pat: There is nothing I have to indicate that the Reverend Alexander B. Nixon was a parish minister. The fact that he had
three widely seperated parcels of land indicates that he was a land speculator. He had a total of 9457 statute acres. As a landlord he would
also be the local magistrate.

Posted by: Mary O'Donnell Mulcahy Date: November 03, 2001 at 12:33:17
In Reply to: Re: Campbells from County Donegal, Ireland. by Patrick Anderson of 11327


First of all, let me thank you for posting that very informative message reply on the CAMPBELL genealogy board! I found it extremely interesting and informative. I live about ten miles from Moorestown, NJ and noted that you have family associated with that area.

I, too, am descended from Campbells in NW Donegal, but my people are from the area in the Rosses around Annagry. I've been in Falcarragh many times, as it's not too distant. It's lovely there.

Do you think you have any connections with the Rosses CAMPBELLS? There are many FERRYS associated with the same area, and some of them are distant cousins of mine, as well.

My GGGrandparents were Connell CAMPBELL ca 1803 to 5 Nov 1868, Loughnanoran, co. Donegal, and his wife, Bridget. Her maiden name is unknown at this time. I have no record of the parents of Connell CAMPBELL. It's interesting that one of their children was also named Mary Grace CAMPBELL.

Let me know if you think there were any branches of your CAMPBELLS over around Annagry?

Mary O'Donnell Mulcahy
Vincentown, NJ

Children of OWEN FERRY and MARY CAMPBELL are:
       i.       ISABEL2 FERRY, b. Falcarragh, County Donegal, Ireland.
       ii.       MARY FERRY, b. Bet. 1840 - 1845, Falcarragh, County Donegal, Ireland; d. Moorestown, New Jersey; m. JOHN BERNARD CAREY.

Carey family data from correspondence with Tom & Janet Stevens, 710 Sandy Ridge Road, Doylestown, PA 18901 in 1985.

       iii.       (DSP-INF SON) FERRY.
       iv.       (DSP-INF SON) FERRY.
       v.       BRIDGET FERRY, b. 1845, Falcarragh, County Donegal, Ireland.
       vi.       ANN FERRY, b. 1857, Falcarragh, County Donegal, Ireland; d. 1935, Moorestown, New Jersey; m. CHARLES SANDS; b. 1853, Germany; d. 1929, Moorestown, New Jersey.
       vii.       MARGARET FERRY, b. April 10, 1865, Falcarragh, County Donegal, Ireland; d. December 10, 1937, Moorestown, New Jersey; m. THOMAS MCCLUSKEY, March 17, 1883, Newton, Kansas; b. 1842, Monaghan County, Ireland; d. November 17, 1890, Moorestown, New Jersey.

       "Maggie" Ferry was from BallyBoe, Crossroads, Letterkenny, Donegal County, Ireland. The town is now called Falcarragh. In 1879 she came to the port of Philadelphia. The trip was paid for by her sister Isabel. She had been living in Philadelphia for four years before she west west as a Harvey Girl, and married Thomas McCluskey from Kansas. The Harvey House restaurant chain of Chicago recruited Irish waitresses for their chain of restaurants along the Santa Fe Railroad and housed them in dormatories. The first such restaurant opened in Newton, Kansas in 1873.
       Her husband was a Civil War POW and Veteran of Sherman's march to the Sea and made his living in Kansas by hunting and supplying game to the Harvey House Restaurant on the Sant Fe Railroad.
       Margaret Ferry was taught to shoot by her husband and was a crack shot. She used to carry a revolver under her dress when walking the streets of Moorestown, New Jersey after dark. On one occasion she had cause to draw the gun when accosted by a stranger. (Mary McCluskey 1974). She made her living after the death of her husband by working in a laundry. She was the laundry woman for the president of RCA corporation, who had his attorney Aaron Burr III, prepare for her a civil war pension request which provides much of the outline of her past life.

Burial: Mount Carmel Cemetery, Moorestown, New Jersey

       Thomas McCluskey was born in 1842 in Monaghan County, Ireland. After the death of his natural father, Thomas' mother remarried and Thomas lived with his step-father in Ireland. Thomas left home after a conflict with his stepfather. He arrived on the ship "Tired" coming from Londonderry on 05/14/1857 at Philadelphia Port. According to his daughter, Mary, he taught himself to read and write while working in the coal mines around Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania. In the 1860 census at the age of 18, Thomas McCluskey was living with John Gibbony and his family.
       His naturalization papers and tintype photograh have survived. According to his military records he was 5 foot, 6 1/2 inches tall, with a light complexion, brown hair, blue eyes at age 45. He initially enrolled for 3 months in 8th Pennsylvania Infantry in 04/1861, and was discharged in 07/1861 as underage. He then enrolled in Company D, of the 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry, on 09/16/1861.
       The Ninth Pennsylvania Cavalry, known as the Lochiel Cavalry, trained in late 1861 at Camp Cameron, near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The regiment was composed of twelve companies, raised in the counties of Dauphin, Luzerne, Lancaster, Huntingdon, Perry, Cumberland, Mifflin, Blair, Wayne, Chester, LeHigh, Susquehanna, and in the city and county of Philadelphia. In November the regiment moved by rail to Pittsburgh, and thence by boat to Louisville, Kentucky, and took up position at Jeffersonville, Indiana, opposite to Louisville. In January, 1862 the First Battalion, with Company D, under command of Colonel Williams, was positioned at Grayson Springs, KY. In March the regiment was ordered into Tennessee, the First Battalion to Springfield. The Third Battalion skirmshed during this time with Morgan.
       The regiment was gathered under Colonel Williams, at Lebanon, Kentucky, in August, and was employed in keeping the State clear of Morgan and his bands. In hard campaigning the regiment became much weakened during the fall, and about one half of the men were dismounted. It was ordered to Louisville for fresh horses and equipments. After receiving these, in company with the Second Michigan, it marched to Nicholasville, KY to prepare for a raid into East Tennessee, upon the railroads communicating between the southwest and Richmond.
       The raid began on December 20 when the troopers of the Ninth Pennsylvania and Second Michigan left Nicholasville. The men had no idea of the destination or purpose of the march. They knew it would be a long, hard march because they had been ordered to carry eleven days rations and 100 rounds of ammunition. They were ordered to leave their tents behind, which meant sleeping in the open during winter weather. Provisions were carried on pack mules. The next day they began their march along the current route of Kentucky State road 421 to the foot of Big Hill, which divides mountainous southeastern Kentucky from the bluegrass region. The soldiers led their horses up this long, steep hill. The column reached McKee on December 22. The expedition had to march and camp in heavy rains. On December 24, they marched toward Manchester, crossed White Oak Hill, and camped on a hill ten miles north of that town.
        At Goose Creek a battalion of the Seventh Ohio joined them. The Column marched on to the Red Bird River where they camped for the night. On December 26, the column marched up the Red Bird valley, crossing the stream forty-seven times on the twenty-sixth until they reached Ascher's where they camped in the woods beside the river. Most of the next day was used reaching the head of the valley. In the evening, the column crossed Pine Mountain, marching single file along an old Indian trail, and went down into the river valley and camped at midnight on Poor Fork of the Cumberland.
        During the night, the rain ended, and the weather again turned cold. On December 28, the column struggled up Poor Fork. Late in the afternoon, they reached the foot of Cumberland Mountain below Crank's Gap, about twelve miles south of Harlan. The horses were fed, the men ate a last hot meal, and then all remaining provisions were distributed into the packs of the cavalry horses and the mule train returned to KY.
       The next day the column crossed Cumberland Mountain single file, skirted east of Jonesville in Powell Valley and camped near Stickleyville, twenty-two miles from the foot of Cumberland Mountain. They rode across Powell Mountain, reached Pattonsville at 1:30 P.M., continued their march along the Clinch River during the afternoon, and reached Estillville (now Gate City) after dark.
       Moving into Big Moccasin Gap, north of Kingsport TN, the column met its first resistance. One soldier of the Second Michigan was killed. After clearing the gap, the raiders marched east of Kingsport and struck the Kingsport-Blountville road on Eden's Ridge in the vicinity of the present town of Indian Springs, TN. The column rode along Eden's Ridge toward Blountville. They entered this town at daylight on the thirtieth. Here they captured thirty sick Confederates in the hospital. The column proceeded, after a short rest, toward Union (now Bluff City) on the railroad twelve miles from Blountville.
       The advance party found two companies of North Carolina infantry at Union, but these men surrendered without resistance. Then the advance column began to destroy the railroad bridge which, because it was wet with rain and was built mostly of green wood, did not burn readily. However, when the main body came up, enough kindling was brought in to start a hot fire in the covered bridge. The raiders also tore down the vehicular bridge, burned the depot, and destroyed a car, three wagon loads of salt, and a large number of arms.
       Once the destruction at Union was well under way, the Ninth Pennsylvania was sent toward Carter's Station on the Watauga River. Along the way they captured a locomotive that the skirmishers used as a shield when they advance into the town. At Carter's Station, the 200-man garrison of North Carolinians formed a line to defend the town and the bridge. A brief fire fight ensued; but at dusk, two companies of the Ninth Pennsylvania remounted and, led by Captain Jones, charged into the town, captured it, and drove the enemy away. William Thomas recorded that a man of the Seventh Ohio was killed and two men of Company A of the Ninth were wounded in this action. Twelve or sixteen of the enemy were killed and thirteen badly wounded in this action. The other Rebels disappeared into the woods.
       They then burned the bridge at the station and laid there until midnight expecting another train. Before they left they ran the Engine into the river. The destruction of the locomotive was the spectacular event of the campaign. When the bridge was blazing and nearing collapse, the engine was run onto the bridge. After passing the first pier, the locomotive crashed through the weakened structure and fell, along with the blazing bridge, into the river.
       Thomas McCluskey was injured, and captured at about this time. There are conflicting records of his capture. The company muster rolls reflect that we was captured near Watauga Bridge on 31 December. The prisoner of war records reflect that he was captured at Estaville on 30 December. Family tradition says that he was holding horses for the troop, when he was kicked in the back by one of the horses, and he was left behind as the troops withdrew. He attempted to walk out of Virginia to return to Kentucky and was captured. It is likely that he was left behind near Estaville, captured, and not reported missing from the Ninth Pennsylvania until muster roll on the next day, the 31st.
       He was imprisoned in Libby Prison, Richmond, Virginia on January 21, 1863. It is fortunate that his unit had burned the bridges over the Railroad, otherwise he would likely have been shipped south to more notorious prison camps like Andersonville, Ga. Libby Prison was reserved for officers who were routinely exchanged with the north. He was paroled at City Point, Virginia January 26, 1863. He reported at Camp Parole, Maryland January 27, 1863. He was admitted to the General Hospital, Annapolis, Maryland January 29, 1863. He was furloughed on August 24, 1863 and transferred to Philadelphia October 3, 1863. He became a naturalized citizen in Luzerne County, PA on October 8, 1863 and had his picture taken in uniform. He remained in a convalescent camp, in Virginia through February of 1864.
       By March 1864 he served on detached service at Chattanooga, Tennessee where he remained until October 1864. The Ninth Pennsylvania was given a 30 day furlough in April of 1864, most returning to Pennsylvania. From May to September the regiment was active throughout Tennessee in Louisville, Nashville and Chattanooga and chasing Wheeler in September. Thomas was returned to the active duty muster rolls of the Ninth Pennsylvania in November.
       The Regiment then marched to join General Sherman at Marietta, Georgia, and on the 14th of November, started on its march with him to the sea. It was assigned to the right of the army, to the First Brigade, Third Division of Cavalry, under the command of General Judson Kilpatrick, and lead the advance to Macon and Milledgeville. On the 16th, the first day out from Atlanta, it encountered General Wheeler's cavalry at Lovejoy's Station, on the Macon Railroad. After a short encounter, the regiment charged and gained the works, capturing the enemy guns and more than three hundred prisoners. The guns were taken over by the regiment and were retained by it until the end of the war.
       Early in December, while marching on Macon, it pushed Wheeler into Macon and the next day in the battle of Bear Creek it was victorious but with severe loss, having ninety-five men killed and wounded. The unit was moved to the left of the army, fainted in the direction of Augusta, crossed the Ogeechee, and marched on Millen where a Union prison Camp was located. The camp was found deserted and the 9th moved towards Louisville, Georgia, to rejoin the army. The 9th engaged in repeated battles with Wheeler's Cavalry driving them back from Buckhead Church through Waynesboro, pushing them back until it arrived at Savannah on the 21st of December.
       Thomas McCluskey was mustered out due to expiration of his term of service at King's Bridge, Georgia on the 24th of December, 1864. He likely returned to Pennsylvania by sea. After the Civil War he went to Illinois. His discharge papers show the various railroad stamps of the key junctions of his trip. A term of the Civil War armistice was that returning soldiers could use their discharge papers for free railroad fare. He registered his Civil War discharge in Vandalia, Illinois, the State capital. His military discharge was recorded in Book 4, page 552 on March 19th, 1866.
       Thomas married first to Susan Emma Weaver, from Pennsylvania in Macon County, Illinois on November 18, 1869. Two of his children by his first wife were born in Illinois about 1870 and 1872. Thomas is listed in Blue Mound Township, Macon County, Illinois living in the Catherine Weaver household. He is listed as 26, farmer, born in PA. (sic)
       Thomas acquired 80 acres in Butler County, Kansas in 1874. He resided a mile east of the now extinct town of Plum Grove, Kansas, where two more children were born in 1875 and 1877. He lived on the south half of the Northeast Quarter of Section 6 Plum Grove Township, Kansas (Range 4 East Township 24 South). This was 80 acres, comprising the southeast corner of section 6, nestled in the fork of Whitewater River and Henry Creek, just a few miles north of current Potwin, Kansas. The land was transferred to him on 11 May 1874.
        He was not a very able farmer due to his physical condition, after the injury to his back. He made a living by purchasing and hunting game. According to his daughter Mary, he used to make extended hunting trips to the Oklahoma Territory. His neighbor, Mr. Claussen's, account books contain several references to purchases of game (turkeys) by Thomas McCluskey. According to Mary, he shipped to the Chicago restaurants on the railroad.
       It is noteworthy that the nearby town of Newton, Kansas was the site of the first Harvey House Restaurant which opened in 1873 on the Santa Fe Railway. This chain was begun by a Chicago business man in response the the need for adequate eating facilties along the long railroad to the southwest. It was remarkable for the sophisticated fare which included wild pheasant, and for the pleasant Irish waitresses that were specially recruited and trained. This chain expanded along the Santa Fe and was later headquartered in Chicago. It is a logical conclusion that Thomas McCluskey was one of their first suppliers.
       Susan Emma Weaver died in Kansas in 1881 during an epedemic. She is buried in the Fairmount Cemetry (AKA Lone Star), Butler County, Kansas located just a couple of miles north of the McCluskey lands. The burial site was still registered to Thomas McCluskey in the county cemetery records in 1975. Thomas owned 8 plots and only the one of eight was marked.
       After the death of Thomas' first wife he met Margaret Ferry, a distant relative of his mother. She had been living in Philadelphia for four years before she went west to be a Harvey Girl in Newton, Kansas. She married him on March 17, 1883 in Newton, Kansas. "Maggie" Ferry was from Ballyboe, Crossroads, Letterkenny, Donegal County, Ireland.
       Margaret Ferry lived with Thomas in Butler County Kansas to help raise the four children of Thomas' and had four children of her own by him. She was taught to shoot by her husband and was a crack shot. Thomas kept an Irish Setter called Madge, which barked when Indians came begging at the door. The cabin in Kansas used newspaper for wallpaper and had a large picture (advertisement) of a mule on one wall. The only surviving family artifact from Kansas is a pressed drinking glass.
       Kansas' first game laws were passed in 1886, restricting Thomas' livelyhood. He sent his second wife east with her children, to live with her sister in New Jersey. She stayed with the McCartney family (relatives of his mother) in Hainesport until his arrival from Kansas. He sold his farm to his neighbor John Claussen on 11/15/1888, and returned by rail bringing two ponies. During the rail trip east after the sale of the Kansas farm Thomas injured a hand on a rusty bucket, while watering the ponies on the train. He contracted blood poisoning, became delerious, was robbed and found unconcious when the train arrived in Philadelphia. He died a month later on November 17, 1890.
        Of his children, from the first wife, Jennie McCluskey married a man named Patterson and returned to Illinois. This is according to an old tale told by the grandfather of Ernest Claussen and repeated during conversations in 1974. Katie stayed in Kansas and Thomas moved to California.
       Children of the second wife: Ann M. McCluskey never married, and owned a restaraunt in Philedelphia; Owen J. McCluskey was a bus driver in Philadelphia; Mary McCluskey, otherwise known as "Molly", resided around Moorestown, New Jersey throughout her life; Charles Thomas McCluskey worked for William French doing concrete work in Delaware and Maryland and he worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad as a fireman on locomotives hauling freight out of Bordentown.

Mary Isabel McCluskey
Civil War Pension File of Thomas McCluskey
Yankee Cavalryman
History of Pennsylvania Volunteers; 1861-5, Bates, Samuel P., Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, 1870.

Burial: Mount Carmel Cemetery, Moorestown, New Jersey

No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Agreement of Use
Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network