The following was provided to me regarding the origin of the Edelen's. It was prepared by Crolian Edelen who has done significant research into the Edelen ancestry.
REVEREND PHILIP EDELEN OF LONDON AND PINNER
He is buried in St. Mary’s Church, Denham, Buckinghamshire. His memorial is on the wall to the right of the altar as follows:
“Here lyeth Mr. Philippe Edelen, a man of rare indowments, singular integrity, holy conversation, and a most prudent, solide and constant preacher of truth in the most difficult times wherein he lived, continuing unmoved in the principles he had first layd and dying a true sonne of the Church of England.
Mar: 22nd : 1656
& of his age 58
He was born in 1598 in Pinner, County Middlesex, about fourteen miles north of London, and across the county line from Denham, Buckinghamshire, where he is buried. Both his sister, Joan “Hannah” (Edlyn), wife of Richard Nicholas, and his daughter, Ann Edelen, wife of James Hills, lived at Denham. His sons stayed with one or the other and were educated at Denham. For a period of time, less than one year, he was rector of Pinner after being driven out of his Church of St. John Zachary in London, by the puritans of Oliver Cromwell because he was a royalist and loyal to the bishops of the Church of England. Some years later he became reconciled with the new Parliament and became rector of St. Michael Bassishan in London, where he remained until his death in 1656. His daughter, Ann, married James Hills of Pinner, County Middlesex in that Church.
(I have a copy of a letter written by Rev. Philip Edelen to the Goldsmith’s Company while rector of that Church. Crolian)
The surname was spelled Edelin, Edlyn, or Edlin until about 1645 or 1650 when Philip and his children adopted Edelen as the spelling. This was because his wife, Catherine Offley, had been raised in Elbing, Prussia while her father, Thomas, was agent for London merchants there. She spoke both English and German and possibly Swedish, and must have liked the German sounding spelling of Edelen, even though we are of Norman Descent, the original surnane being Edelin De Burgh.
ISSUE OF RICHARD NICHOLAS AND JOANNE EDLYN
(She was the sister of Rev. Philip Edelen and daughter of Richard Edlyn of Pinner Marsh, County Middlesex, who died in 1616. Her mother's name was Margaret, called "Hannah”.)
1. Richard Nicholas
2. John Nicholas
3. Thomas Nicholas
4. Symon Nicholas
5. Benoni Nicholas
6. Joan Nicholas
7. Elizabeth Nicholas
Richard Nicholas was a witness to her father’s will and Rev. Philip “Edlin”, and son-in-law, John Edlin, were the executors of his will.
Ann Edelen, Rev. Philip’s daughter, was given about 700 pounds to buy the lease of a farm in Denham as her dowry to marry James Hills, who was a grocer of London.
PARENTAGE AND SIBLINGS OF REV. PHILIP EDELEN
1. Richard Edlyn of Pinner Marsh, County Middlesex. Wife’s name was Margaret. His parents were William and Joan Edlyn.
A. Phililp Edelen married Catherine, daughter of Thomas Offley and Ann Clitheron of London and Elbing, Prussia
B. Daughter, wife of _______Mason
E. Joan (Hannah) Edlyn married Richard Nicholas of Woodhal in Pinner, County Middlesex. Her will, dated 7 Feb. 1643, was proved at London 28 Feb. 1645. His will, dated 12 April 1643, was proved at London 28 Feb. 1643.
F. Richard Edelin, citizen and tallow chandler of London, lived in the parish of St. Giles Cripplegate in London. He held lands in Hillingdon, County Middlesex, probably inherited from his widowed mother, who lived at Hillingdon after her husband’s death. Richard’s will, dated 5 June 1669 was proved at London 1 Nov. 1669. His will was sealed with the Edelin Coat of Arms: Ermine, a Fess Vairy, or and Gules. His nephew, Richard Edelen of Maryland, used the same Coat of Arms on the door of his coach, which was destroyed by fire in 1927 at Mount Airy, Maryland. The Crest was a Swan’s head between two wings, argent.
(1) Richard Edelin married Sarah ________
(2) William Edelin proved father’s will in 1669.
(3) Philip Edelin proved father’s will in 1669.
(4) Ann Edelin
(5) Jane Edelin
(6) Margaret Edelin married Joseph Sherwood, clerk in Holy Orders.
(In 1962, Garter King at Arms and the Heralds of the College of Arms in London, granted me a Coat of Arms on behalf of the Queen and the Duke of Norfolk, which was the old Edelin Arms with the addition in chief of the “Cross Patonce Azure: from the Arms of the Offley Family of London. Crolian)
REV. PHILIP EDELEN’S PRINTED WORKS
1. Sermon on 1 Corinthians, 15th chapter, 19th verse. by Phil Edlin, London, 1653. “If with this life only in view we have had hope in Christ, we are of all men the most to be pitied.” Oxford University Library
2. Laorymae – A Book of Verses by Phil Edlin – 1619. Cambride University Library No. 5689
3. The Christian’s Hope
A Sermon preached at the funeral of William Christmas, Dec. 16, 1652 by Philip Edelen printed for R. Thrale. Catalogue of Thomason Tracts in the British Museum
Descended from Richard Edlyn of Pinner Marsh, who died in 1616. She married an apothecary of London with the surname of Richmond. In 1725 she divided 7 acres between her daughters at her death. Marlepit Wood, owned by Richard Edlyn in 1616 and mentioned in his will, went to her daughter, Lucy Bateman, and then was called “Bateman’s Wood”. Her Grandson, Edmund Aubrey, received the rest of the Estate. His son, Edmund, grandson Edward, and great grandson Edward entered the Church. Each, in turn, inherited Waxwell Farm and let it our to tenants. Great Grandson Edward sold it in 1827 to Dixon Gibbs, who held it until 1891. The year Edward Trotter and wife Ann bought the house and moved in four years later. In 1903 he died in the garden at which time she built Waxwell Farm Cottage and moved there to live. (See “The Gardens of England” by E. T. Cook, 1908)
MARRIAGE ALLEGATION OF RICHARD EDELEN
Thomas French appeared at the registry of the Bishop of London and alleged that Richard Edelen, aged 24 years, and Elizabeth Banton, same age, both of the parish of St. Andrew’s Undershaft in London, were to be married at St. Peter’s Church near Paul’s Wharf on 29 October 1663.
SOURCE: Guildhall Library MS. 10091/26 , Folio 75, also register of the Bishop of London.
He had just received half of his inheritance from his father and was about to sail to Maryland for the first time. They went back to London in 1665 so he could collect the second half of his legacy. The plague was so bad that they fled to Bushey, Hertfordshire, where his father had once been rector. In 1666 much of London burned, including a house on which he owned the lease and from which he derived rent. It is not clear whether his son Philip was born in Maryland, on the voyage back home, or in England. He appears to have left his wife, Elizabeth, and son Philip, with his Uncle Richard Edelin, of St. Giles Cripplegate Parish, in 1667 and sailed back to Maryland alone. His uncle died in 1669, the year his wife and son joined him in Maryland (Maryland Archives). While much of London was destroyed in 1666, St. Giles Cripplegate Parish was not harmed.
Richard Edelen seems to have sailed to Maryland for the first time with Charles Calvert, later to become Lord Baltimore. In 1672, Charles, Lord Baltimore, made him Deputy Surveyor General of Maryland and Doorkeeper to the Maryland Assembly
Crolian W. Edelen
July 19, 2002.
THE ABOVE INFORMATION WAS SENT TO GLENNA BOSWELL AND COPIED FROM HANDWRITTEN PAPERS BY CROLIAN EDELEN - JULY 2002
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|