I saw mention that John died in Greene Co PA. This is a mistake. He had lived there and created a Will in PA but died in KY. See as follows:
Source: Probated Will 2/ 01/ 1810 Bourbon
County Kentucky Book E 1814 Page 192, 193, Bourbon County Kentucky deed abstracts Deed Book L page 494 and Deed Book O page 34, Family Bible records owned by William R. Curl in Cynthiana Kentucky, A History of Shenandoah County Heads of Families in 1785 page 231
* 1783 - John Curl shows on Shenandoah Co VA 1783 Tax records, Father and son
* 1785 - List of John Netherton heads of families named lived in the part of Shenandoah which is now Warren County, on the south branch of the Shenandoah River above Front Royal. John Curl listed with: 8 white souls
page 219 on Abraham Bird's list at Red Banks between Valley Pike and north Shenandoah River also lists John Coil 12 white souls in his home
* 1785 - List of Abraham Bird - He lived at Red Banks (there were 2 Abraham Birds), the splendid homestead between the Valley Pike and the north Shenandoah River, midway between Edinburg and Mt. Jackson. His territory likely was from Red Banks up to Rude's Hill and westward to the Middle Road.
Coil, John 12 1 3
* 1805 - From Bourbon County Clerk office, Will book E page 192
Will of John Curl....
I, John Curl of Green County Morgan Township State of Pennsylvania being in health and of sound mind But Knowing that all men sooner or later must die and what Worldly Estate that I have been blessed with wishing to distribute the same in some order and in such manner as best pleaseth myself do in this manner make this my last will and testament for the purpose aforesaid.
- In the first place my beloved wife Susanna I leave and bequesth one third part of all my Estate during hoer life and at her own disposal.
- Second, To my daughter Mary Levasque I leave and bequeath one dollar together with that she has already received.
- Thirdly to my daughter Sarah Ireland, I leave one dollar together with that she has already received.
- Fourtly, to my son James Curl, I leave and bequeath one hundred dollars in cash besides that which he as already received.
- Fifthly to my daughter Edie Whitson I leave and bequeath one dollar in addition to that which she has already received.
- Sixthly to my daughter Jane Curl, I leave and bequeath one bed and bedding, one Woman's saddle, one cow and one heifer or the value thereof in Money.
- Seventh to my daughter Nancy Whitson I leave and bequeath one bed and bedding.
- Eighth to my daughter Lettice Curl I leave and bequeath one Bed and Bedding one woman, saddle, a cow and heifer or value thereof in cash
- Ninth to my son John Curl I leave and beqeath one bay mare colt now three years old and three hundred dollars in cash and a saddle and bridle new
- Tenth to my daughter Meriam Curl one bed and bedding, one woman's saddle one cow and calf or the amount thereof in money.
- Eleventh, to my daughter Hannah Curl I leave the same amount of property or in Cash as I have to my daughter Meriam.
In Testomy of the aforegoing instrument of writing set my hand and affixed my seal to these presents declaring it at the same time to be my last will and testament this 25th day of May 1805. John Curl (seal)
Signed sealed and declared before us John Heaton
And I, John Curl aforesaid to appoint my Trust Friend Levi Herrod Esqr, my Executor of this my last will and testament.
* The Commonwealth of Kentucky to the presiding Judge of any Court of Law or notary Publick or other chief Magistrate of andy City, Town or corporation in the County of Green in the State of Pennsylvania Greeting....
Know ye that by virtue of an order of the County Court of Bourbon in the State aforesaid made at their Febuary Term in the present year you are authorized and fully empowered to take the attestation of John Heaton who is asubscribing witness to the last will and testament of John Curl deceased which is hereto annexed and that you cause the afore named witness to appear before you and being first duly sworn to interrogate him wheather the said John Curl deceased did sign and publish the writing hereto annexed as to his last will and Testament or that some other person signed it by his direction whether the said decedent was at the time of disposing mind and memory and whether the said Witness subscribed his name tothe said will in the presence of the Testator and at his request. And the said attestation when taken you distinctly certify to our said County Court under your seal sending then thee the said will (which is hereto annexed) and this Writ, Witness -- Garrard Jr. Cerk of the said County Court of Bourbon this tenth day of Febuary 1814 and the XXII year of the Commonwealth.... Will Garrard Jr.
STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA, Green Co. Sct:
I, Samuel Roberts presiding Judge of the court of Common plea in and for the County of green and State of Pennsylvania do certify that in obedience to the annexed commission from the County Court of Bourbon County and state of Kentucky, I have caused to come before me John Heaton, the subscribing witnes to the annexed last will and testament of John Curl, deceased, and the sid John Heaton being first by me duly sworn upon the holy evengelist of Almighty God, according to law, did depose and make oath, that the testator John Curl signed and published the writing annexed to said commission as his last will and testament that said testator was at the time of disposing mind and memory, and that he said John Heaton Subscribed his name thereto as a witness in the presence and at the request of said John Curl, All which I certify in the manner Such acts are usually authorized by me under my hand and seal this Twenty third day of August in the Year of Our Lord, 1814.
Samuel Roberts (seal)
BOURBON COUNTY December Court 1814
This last will and testament of John Curl deceased, was produced into Court together with the dedimus and deposition of John Heaton a subscribing witness thereto taken persuant to the said dicimus which being examined in the Court they are of the opinion that the last will and testament is sufficiently proved and the same is thereupon ordered to be recorded.
attest: Thos. P. Smith D. C. BC
* 1810 - Will states that John Curl is of Green County Morgan twp, State of Pennsylvania, prepared 1805, so I assume he was a resident at that time because It appears that the will was originally written in PA but probated in KY.
* 1814 - Bourbon County Kentucky Will Book E page 192 of John Curl names: Wife Susanna and children as Mary Levesque, Sarah Ireland, James Curl, Elizabeth Whitson, Jane Curl, Nancy Whitson, Lettuice Curl, John Curl, Mariam Curl and Hannah Curl.This will written May 1805 in Green County, Morgan township, Pennsylvania and probated December Court 1814 in Bourbon County Kentucky. Executors Levi Harrod and witness John Heaton
* 1816 - Deed Book L page 494- From Samuel and Mary Levesque, late Mary Curl, to Susanna Curl. Mentions that John Curl late deceased of Bourbon Co KY Died possed of 100 acres of land brought from Thomas Jones and left it to his 10 children. Said Mary is one of the 10 children. They deed to Susanna Curl an equal 1/10 part of said property.
* 1819 - Deed Book O page 34 from Alexander and Mariam Payne to Susanna Curl. Same type of deed as Samuel/Mary Curl deed except this one notes that the property is where Susanna now resides.
From "Curl Footprints", The name Curl, Curle, Curles, Currell was derived from the residence of its first bearers at Crowle, a parish in the County of Lincoln, England. .....Four brothers, Thomas, Pasco, Samuel, and Joshua Curl came from County Sussex England and settled in Elizabeth City VA in the latter seventeenth century. Thomas b. Lewes, Co Sussex, England 1640 ..died without children in 1700. Pasco had at least seven children: Sarah, Mary, Judity, Nicholas, Pasco (who died young) Joshua and John.
Family Bible records in the possession of William R. Curle of Cynthiana Kentucky
John Curl married Susan Mc Coy March 1770-1771, She was born April 3, 1755
Children: Mary Curl was born Nov 19, 1771, Sarah Dec. 7, 1774, James Apr 11, 1777, Early Dec. 10 1779, Jane Feb 6, 1782, Nancy April 19, 1784, Letty Oct. 16, 1787
John Curl was born Jan 7, 1789 on Shenandoah River VA. Marian b. Sept 4, 1792, Hannah b. August 7, 1795, James H. Whitson was born Dec. 30, 1807
John Curl was born Jan 7, 1789 married Elizabeth Howe, born 1789 in VA
Children: Artemusa Curl was born May 13, 1814, Bourbon Co. KY, Harriet Curl was born Mar. 25, 1816, Perinlia Curl was born Jan 4, 1818, Luvisis & Lettitia Curl (twins) were born July 25, 1820. James Benjamin Curl was born June 11, 1822, Lettitia Curl died Oct. 23, 1906
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|