Mormon AF and IGI records show a Robert Cleyland b ca 1698 marrying Rebecca Sherwood ca 1723 in Fairfield, Ct. She was the daughter of Isaac Sherwood and Mary Jackson. An online family tree states that Rebecca's parents moved to Williamstown, Berkshire Co., Ma. and died there. It also states that Robert Cleyland and Rebecca Sherwood died in Williamstown, too.
Dutchess County NY tax records show a Robert Clayland in the Beekman patent area in the 1730s and 1740s. The records then show a James Clayland in the 1760s. He married a Catherine DeLong. A William Cleland is there in the 1790 census and at least one family tree shows William as the son of James (along with siblings James, John, Robert, Polly, Nancy, Katy, Lena, and Hannah).
1. Is there any primary or secondary source that indicates that Robert Clayland md. to Rebecca Sherwood died in Williamstown?
2. Is the Robert in Dutchess County from any known Clayland/Cleyland/Cleland family?
3. Are these two Roberts the same person?
4. Is there any source that states the parentage of James Clayland of Dutchess County?
5. Is there any source that indicates that Robert Clayland of Dutchess County had a daughter Mary who married Joseph Simson of the same place ca. 1757?
Any clues as to the origins or history of these families would be greatly appreciated.
/ Tom Gull
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|