Starting Sept. 5, 2014, will be making a big change. GenForum message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Surnames: Crites Family Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Mrs Eva K. Uhl married Henry Crites, Esq, Pulaski County, Indiana
Posted by: Michael DeLorenzo (ID *****7506) Date: November 21, 2004 at 02:51:31
  of 988

Not my family line, just sharing.

The following Biographical sketch was copied from the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI, INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers. 1883.
page 244, City of Monticello, White County, Indiana.

"GEORGE UHL, one of five children born to JOHN and EVA K. UHL, was born in Asch, Austria, July 21, 1842. The father and two of the children dying in the old country, the mother and three sons, of whom GEORGE was the eldest, emigrated to America in 1854, and engaged in farming in Huron County, Ohio, remaining there until 1857, when they removed to Tippecanoe Township, Pulaski County, Indiana, where Mrs. UHL purchasd a tract of swamp land, and started a farm. This lady is yet living near the site of her first settlement, being since married to HENRY CRITES, Esq., and of the three sons who came with her to this country two remain. One, JOHN, died in the defense of his adopted country during the late war (Civil War). GEORGE UHL attended the common schools only of his native and this country prior to the close of the rebellion, when he attended the "Male and Female College" at Valparaiso, Indiana, two years. In 1867, he came to reside in Monticello, White County, Indiana, and for nearly a year read medicine under Dr. WILLIAM S. HAYMOND. Mr. UHL is a Republican, and was elected by his party, in 1868, County Auditor, and, after serving four years, was reelected, with an increased majority. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.; has served two terms as Noble Grand, and is the present Commander of Tippecanoe Post, No. 51, G. A. R., of Monticello. December 12, 1872, he married Miss EMILY C., daughter of Dr. PHILO HAMLIN, of Juniata County, Pennsylvania, and to their union have been born three children - BYRON H., AGNES E. and STEWART C. The parents are members of the Presbyterian Church. While a resident of Pulaski County, Indiana, Mr. UHL came to Reynolds, this County, and here joined Company K. Twentieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and shortly thereafter went with his regiment to Maryland, on guard duty near Baltimore. The fall of the same year they went to Cape Hatteras, remaining there several weeks; thence they went to Old Point Comfort, at Fortress Monroe, Virginia, and from there, in early 1862, to Newport News, where Company K took an active part in the memorable contest between the rebel ram "Merrimac," and the Union frigates "Cumberland" and "Congress." The succeeding day they witnessed the naval engagement between the ironclads "Monitor" and "Merrimac." The regiment took part in the capture of Norfolk, and Portsmouth, and were then transferred to the Army of the Potomac, arriving in front of Richmond before the commencement of the "seven days' fight." On the 30th of June, 1862, at the battle of Glendale, Mr. UHL, CAPT. REED and his son WILLIAM - the first seriously and the latter mortally wounded - and others of their company, were captured and taken to Richmond. Mr. UHL was alternately incarcerated in Libby and Belle Isle Prisons until September following, when he was paroled and sent to the hospital at Annapolis. After recuperating and being exchanged, he rejoined his regiment near Fredericksburg. He took an active part in the field with his regiment, including the battle of Chancellorsville, until the beginning of the Gettysburg campaign, when he was assigned duty in the Quartermaster's department, where he remained until relieved and ordered with his regiment to New York City to suppress draft riots during the summer of 1863. The succeeding fall they returned to the Army of the Potomac, participating in its movements and battles, until February, 1864, when he re-enlisted, together with most of his regiment, but continuing the old organization. After a brief visit home on veteran furlough, he returned with his regiment to the Army of the Potomac. Mr. UHL participated in the "Battle of the Wilderness," on the Po, at Spottsylvania, North Ann, Cold Harbor, Deep Bottom, Weldon Railroad, Hatcher's Run, and the numerous and almost incessant engagements in the final siege of Petersburg, in one of which he had a portion of his left ear shot away. During a part of this time he, as First Sergeant, had command of the remnant of Company K. Upon the 25th of March, 1865, in front of Petersburg, the Twentieth had its last engagement, in which Mr. UHL was struck by a canon ball, almost severing his left limb from the body, and that night, of the original company starting from Reynolds, Indiana, in 1861, only two were there to answer at roll call. After his recovery at Army Square Hospital, Washington D.C., Mr. UHL was discharged from the United States service in July, 1865."

Notify Administrator about this message?
No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network