My husband's great grandfather was William "Will" Edward Cohen of Union, SC. I finally found out Will's father was Zadoc Coan (also seen as Zade, Zadoe, Zadop). He was in the 1880 census for Sptbg, SC. He was born about 1845 and died 12/15/1884 in Spartanburg when a barn that he was working in collapsed on him crushing him. His death was in the Carolina Spartan on 12/17/1884, "Zadoc Coan, a good, quiet citizen was working in an old stable on Mr. Jonn Archer's farm near town Monday, when the house tumbled down and crushed him to death. He was buried Tuesday." He was married to Susana "Susan" Quinn (Dob: 1845-1846 in SC; Dod: ? in ? ) and they had 6 children listed in the 1880 census:
1) William "Will" Edward Cohen (Dob: 3/27/1884 in ?; Dod: 2/24/1984 in Union, SC and married to Katherine "Kate" Elizabeth Kelly, both buried at Rosemont Cemetery in Union)
2) Talula "Lula" Cohen (DOB: About 1871 in SC; Dod: 8/9/1956 in Pacolet, Spartanburg County, SC and married to William Hodge)
3) John W. Cohen (DOB: 3/12/1877 in ?; Dod: 9/19/1964 in Union, SC and married Ella Reid, both buried at Rosemont Cemetery in Union) John and Ella lived beside Will and Kate in Union, SC. My mother-in-law met John and Talula before they died. So using her information, I was able to find the family in the 1880 census.
4) Mary E. Cohen (Dob: About 1872 in ? ; Dod: ? in ?)
5) Nancy J. Cohen (Dob: About 1877 in ? ; Dod: ? in ?)
6) Susana Cohen (Dob: About 1879 in ? ; Dod: ? in ?)
This is all I've been able to find out about this family. Who is Zadoc Coan and Susana Quinn? Where are they buried? Where did they come from and who are their parents and siblings? Did he serve in the Civil War? Is it possible that this is James Z. Coan buried at Nazareth Presbyterian Church? If you know, please contact me. Thank you in advance!!!
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|