Starting Sept. 5, 2014, will be making a big change. GenForum message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Surnames: Coffee Family Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

MATTHEW COFFEE - d. June 18, 1833
Posted by: Linda Roberts (ID *****1746) Date: December 12, 2005 at 15:09:27
  of 1493

Not my line but ran across this and thought it might help someone else.

On the River

"Cholera showed up at the mouth of the White River in late October, 1832.  Our victim was a passenger who had come up from New Orleans on the Volant."

Source: Arkansas Advocate, November 7, 1832.

    "Seemingly on the pinnacle of success, disaster struck the steamboat line (Montgomery, Miller, & Company) in June 1833.  Cholera was raging along the Mississippi River Ports when Captain Miller and the Reindeer left the plague-ridden city of New Orleans, bound for the mouth of the White River.  Several passengers boarded the boat at Vicksburg, Mississippi, one of whom spread the disease to the other passengers and crew.  When the Reindeer docked at Montgomery's Point, Captain Miller took sick suddenly.  After an illness of only four or five hours he succumbed, and the boat left for Little Rock with Captain Cochran in command. 

    When the vessel reached the capitol city (Little Rock) on June 23, 1833, she was in a distressed condition, having lost six of her passengers and crew from the ravages of cholera.  Another of the passengers was at the point of death, and almost everyone on board was "more or less affected by the disease."  Passenger Matthew Coffee was lost on June 18, and steward A. Nedad, fireman James Rea, passenger John Allen, pilot George Norris, and chief engineer L.H. Edson died on June 19.  Nevertheless, the Reindeer was thoroughly scrubbed, another pilot and engineer hired, and the boat left for Fort Gibson.  Passengers who remained at Little Rock told when the Reindeer left New Orleans, cholera was raging with between 150 and 200 persons dying daily and business was at a standstill.  The disease was rampant all along the Mississippi, with the woodyards becoming burial grounds.  No casualties were reported on the Volant, but Captain Turner replaced Charles Kelly as master, so he may have become ill."

Source: Huddleston,  Duane, "The Volant and Reindeer Early Arkansas Steamboats," Pulaski County Historical Review, 24 (Little Rock: June, 1976) p21-33.

Notify Administrator about this message?
No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network