Looking for information on Greussing/Greissing families who came to Akron area in mid-to-late 1800s from the area of Bregenz, Harte, Vorarlberg, Austria.
Specifically, my great-grandfather, Hans Joseph "John" Greussing July 1858, emigrated to MA in 1882; moved to Akron, OH probably in 1885. John was one of the first employees of Goodrich.
John Greussing (later spelled Greissing) married Fredricka Margaret Burkhardt, probably in late 1884 or early 1885. She was born in Wurtemberg, Germany in March 1859.
They attended St. Bernard's Church in Akron; are buried in St. Bernard's Cemetery.
Probably related to a Martin Greissing of Akron, OH. In family portraits (taken by the same photography studio in Akron)the resemblance between the elder "John" and younger Martin is astonishing. Martin may have been a nephew of John's.
Children of Hans Joseph Greussing & Fredericka Burkhardt:
1. Mary Albertina ("Berta"), b. Aug. 1885 in MA
2. Caroline Fredricka ("Rickie"), b. Feb. 1887 in Akron, OH (my grandmother; m. Austin Levi ORMSBY)
3. John G., b. Nov. 1888
4. Herman, b. Nov. 1890; married TILLIE DIETZ
5. Henry Aloyisius, b. Nov. 1896
6. Frances Anna, b. about 1897 (twin)
7. Francis Joseph ("Boy"), b. about 1897 (twin)"Boy" Greissing was an Akron City Councilman.
I would love to find more information on this family and meet other Greussing/Greissing-Burkhardt descendents. Thanks in advance.
Harriet Hanson Lora
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|