Starting Sept. 5, 2014, will be making a big change. GenForum message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: General Topics: Civil War Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

RE: Henry Martin of Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa
Posted by: john hingst (ID *****1982) Date: March 13, 2012 at 19:05:40
  of 29675

I'm looking for information on Henry Martin who assaulted by great grandfather, W. L. Schuch of Burlington, Iowa. Please see following articles that appeared in the Burlington Hawk-Eye newspaper in November 1895. W. L. Schuch was a Civil War veteran. He served as a private with Company F, 75th Ohio Infantry, Post – 5, for the Grand Army of the Republic.

W. L. Schuch Will Die From His Injuries
Assaulted With An Iron Ladle By Henry Martin.
The Whole Top Of His Skull Crushed In By The Fearful Blows – Martin Has So
Far Escaped Arrest – Schuch Cannot Live.

The Burlington Hawk-Eye: Saturday Morning, November 16, 1895.

A murder thought to have been premeditated was nearly consummated about noon yesterday at the little iron foundry of W. L. Schuch, on Mt. Pleasant street, just west of the C., B. &Q. track.

Schuch, the proprietor, a workman named H. F. Robison, and an apprentice named Oscar Hassel, had just completed a casting and Mr. Schuch remarked that they would wait until after dinner to make another demanding their attention, it then lacking only a few moments of the noon hour.

At this instant, Henry Martin, sometimes erroneously called Jack Martin, entered the shop from the rear door, near the cupola shown in the diagram.

Martin was accosted pleasantly as he entered and he pleasantly to the salutation. He stepped up to the proprietor, who stood to the right of the stove and asked for some pay due for work when he left Schuch’s employ two or three weeks ago.

Mr. Schuch replied that he had no funds with him, but if Martin would call this morning, a part at least of the money would be forthcoming.

A Cruse and a Blow.
At this reply Martin stooped and picked from the floor a heavy iron ladle, used in pouring molten metal into small molds, or as they are technically called, “flasks”. With the loudly uttered cruse, “You’re a liar, you __________,” Martin dealt Schuch a blow over the temple with the bowl of the ladle.

As Schuch sunk down senseless besides the scales indicated in diagram, Martin, wielding the ladle with both hands, and lifting it above his head, dealt two more murderous blows upon the top of Schuch’s skull.

A Hand to Hand Fight.
The workman Robison sprang to the assistance of his employer, but Martin swung around and threw it at his head. Dodging the missile, Robison gave chase to Martin, who ran out the rear door by which he had entered and ran north between Heinlen and the Schuch buildings.

Robison overtook Martin and a hand to hand encounter took place in the narrow area. Martin struck Robison a fearful blow above the right eye and attempted to clutch him by the throat and bread. In doing so he thrust his thumb into Robison’s mouth and latter closed down on it with such force as to almost sever it from the hand. Robison now gained the advantage of Martin and with his hand on upon, his throat, felled him to the ground. Martin called loudly for assistance and someone from Heinlen’s shop came and pulled Robison away, allowing the murderer to make good his escape.

Schuch’s Condition.
Schuch was carried to his home at No. 1501 Mt. Pleasant street, where surgical aid called. Drs. Steinle, Fleming, Holiday, and Little were called and found the top of the head almost beaten into jelly: the scalp bruised and bleeding and the man having frequent convulsions. Upon opening the scalp the bones of the skull were crushed so as to enable the doctors to pick out so much bone tissue as to leave the whole top of the brain uncovered; the brain matter is lacerated and contused. His condition is critical and recovery scarcely to be expected.

Martin Escapes.
Martin ran down the railway tracks, for he was seen near the lumber yard by N.S. Boquet and others. He went directly or very soon after to his home, on Central avenue, just north of the old jail property and there shown his lacerated thumb and said he had been in trouble but, according to the family did not give particulars.

The police, upon receiving notice of the affair made every effort to effect a capture and continued the search all night without results. A story was current that Martin’s friends were endeavoring to ferry him across the river, starting from a point north of the city. The police watched this supposed movement but nothing come of it.

Was It Premeditated?
A report is current that Martin was overheard to say that if Schuch did not hand over the money on demand he (Martin) would kill him.

Description of Martin.
Although well known about town, reports of Martin’s personal appearance differ. He was about twenty-five years old, smooth face, and bowlegged. He wore a light overcoat when he committed the murderous assault.

Schuch is Respected.
The victim of the assault, Mr. W. L. Schuch has lived many years in Burlington and has built up a most favorable reputation among business men. He was always an industrious, sober, quiet and inoffensive man and general regret is felt that he should have fallen a victim to Martin’s murderous fury. Mr. Schuch has a family at his home on Mt. Pleasant street and they are receiving many marks of sympathy from their neighbors.

The Assailant of W. L. Schuch Successfully Evades Arrest
Police Believe He Is In The City, Harbored By Friends -- Reported Arrest in
Mt. Pleasant Proves Untrue – Schuch Still Alive

The Burlington Hawk-Eye: Sunday Morning, November 17, 1895.__________________________________________

W. L. Shuch still lives and his assailant Henry Martin has thus far successfully evaded arrest.

A report came from Mt. Pleasant about noon, yesterday, that Martin was under arrest there and would be held till called for. Chief Low went west on 1:30 train, but on arrival at Mt. Pleasant, and after examination, he telephoned home that the prisoner was not Martin. He answered fairly well to the description and had a face disfigured by a recent fight or contact with a cinder path; his thumb also, was lacerated much as Martin’s is supposed to be.

Martin’s Coat.
It has been thought that Martin wore a light overcoat at the time of the assault on Mr. Schuch, but it was learned yesterday that he took it off previously at Frenske’s saloon, on Osborn street and left it there. He returned to this saloon soon after the assault and was given a glass of whiskey in which he held for several minutes the lacerated thumb. He went home from Frenske’s, still leaving the overcoat there and gave directions at home to have his younger brother fetch it from the saloon. Nevertheless the police have information that the fugitive has provided with an overcoat by his friends.

The police theory is that Martin is in hiding in the city, harbored by some of his friends. They are confident they will have him behind bars in a short time.

Schuch’s Condition.
The chief interest of the community centers in the victim of Martin’s murderous assault. The surgeons attending Mr. Schuch say that he became conscious and rational yesterday afternoon, but was not allowed to talk about the assault. The doctors still refuse to hold out any hope of Schuch’s recovery, although they admit the bare possibility.
They say that inflammation of the tissues and membranes of the brain is due to set in from thirty-six to forty-eight hours after the injury and toat thei delirium accompanied by violence or perhaps with paralysis will supervene and patient’s strength will quickly ebb away.

The Fatal Ladle.
The iron ladle with which Martin crushed in the top of Schuch’s head is at the police station and is viewed with morbid interest by all who see it. Its weight is estimated and its possibilities as a bludgeon freely discussed.
Surgeons Admit Not Only Chance, But Hope of Life.
The Wounded Man’s Condition – Removed to St. Francis Hospital – Rumors
and Reports About Martin, His Assailant.

The Burlington Hawk-Eye: Sunday Morning, November 19, 1895.

One of those unexpected things that are reported to happen may indeed happen in this city in the case of W. L. Schuch, the foundry man so brutally assaulted Friday by Henry Martin, his ex-employe.

Sunday Schuch was removed from his home on Mt. Pleasant street to St. Francis Hospital, where he may receive constant skilled attention required.

Strange as it may appear, Schuch was able to walk with steadiness the length of the hospital corridor. The attending surgeons are non-plussed and now admit not only a chance, but a hope of ultimate recovery. By all the laws of medicine and surgery Schuch ought to be dead and buried, but he seems destined to prove the rule by the exception thereto. Yesterday his temperature was 100 degrees and his pulse 98; mentally he is, except when aroused, in a state of semi-stupor. Asked a question he will oftentimes make intelligent reply, but his faculty of memory is seriously affected and will be permanently so, the doctors believe, should he recover. The wounds on his head were dressed yesterday and the cuts made in the scalp for the removal of the crushed bones, sewed up. There is still some hemorrhage and flow of brain tissue, but the doctors think that will not long continue.

Schuch’s strength can be kept up, for he takes nourishment with relish and readily assimilates it.

Martin’s Cunning
The much looked for Martin, Schuch’s assailant, remains securely in hiding. All sorts of rumors are afloat concerning him. The one that excites the greatest interest is that he was in custody in Mt. Pleasant and Chief Low failed to identify him. To this the chief makes answer that the man he saw at Mt. Pleasant is still there, doing time for ten days for intoxication and anyone that knows Martin is at liberty to go and identify him if possible.

Other reports are that the hunted main is in safe hiding in the city and there is much to lend credence to this theory. Martin had many friends in Burlington and they are not backward about lending him aid in his trouble.


How Martin, Schuch’s Assailant, Made His Escape.
Stayed Till Evening at the House of His Uncle on Spring street – Took Freight
to Mt. Pleasant, Where He Was Caught and Released.

The Burlington Hawk-Eye: Sunday Morning, November 21, 1895

The friends of Henry Martin, who assaulted W.L. Schuch and crushed in the top of his head with a foundryman’s iron ladle, are little disposed at this time to conceal their gratification over the ease with which he eluded the police.

They feel free now to tell how the trick was turned, and it is a very simple story, indeed. Instead of seeking a hiding at his own home on Central avenue and Arch street, Martin lay concealed all the afternoon of last Friday at the home of his uncle, John Martin, No. 1141 Spring street. Word was brought to him there of the visits of the police at his home , and there he was supplied with an entire change of clothing, so that he would not tally with the description obtained of him and sent out to nearby towns. The last visit of the police to the Martin home on Arch street was made about half-past 5 o’clock, and it was when notified that the police were engaged in a thorough search of the premises there that Martin left the home of his uncle on Spring street. In his change of clothing he went out the back way, and under cover of the gathering darkness stole down to the railway tracks and boarded an outgoing freight as it went under reduced speed up the hill.

At Mt. Pleasant he got off the freight, it is supposed, in order to take a passenger train there west, as he had been supplied with money sufficient for his needs. He was taken into custody at Mt. Pleasant, as has been before reported, and held for identification by the Burlington police. Chief Low went up the following day and did not see in the prisoner the man wanted for the supposed murder. With half a dozen men on the force personally acquainted with Martin, it is to be regretted one of these was not intrusted with identification and return of the prisoner.

It may be supposed Martin did not wait for the clouds to roll by, for the moon to change or any other phenomena, natural or otherwise, to open but made tracks for parts unknown.

Notify Administrator about this message?
No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network