Posted By:Peggy Reeves
Subject:Re: Unit Identification & History
Post Date:December 27, 2012 at 20:33:12
Message URL:
Forum:War of 1812 Forum
Forum URL:

I believe the list of acronyms that you posted is correct. "Descriptive Roll" is how the cards are headed in the actual service record files, with no mention of "duty roster".

With regard to "see pension case", this wording was used to mean either a pension or a bounty land claim. You might try searching for the soldier's name at the Bureau of Land Management website. If he received a bounty land warrant for his service, search for him as the "warrantee", not the patentee. If his name comes up, click on the image of the patent certificate, and it should name the regiment that he served in, and make note of the fact that it is a military bounty land warrant.

The BLM website is at: Only the "Regular Army" soldiers received bounty land immediately after the War of 1812, but later on Congress passed bounty land acts that were retroactive (in 1850 and 1855), that allowed veterans of any war to claim addditional bounty land, or to apply for bounty land for the first time. Thus if he got bounty land for his service in 1812, it should should up at the BLM website, but might have a date of 1850 or 1855. If he shows up there, the bounty land warrant application file and the surrendered warrant file would both be available at the NARA in Washington, D.C.